Aesthetic Perfection
All Beauty Destroyed

2.0
poor

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
November 11th, 2011 | 70 replies

Review Summary: you wouldn’t expect your discharged human feces to sing to you.

It was going to be a great album, I could feel it. The album cover was simple yet disturbing enough that it piqued my interest. It seemed to hint at a more sinister side of Aesthetic Perfection, and I wasn’t complaining. I was nearly celebrating, expecting one of the better industrial albums of the year! But then I listened to the album. All Beauty Destroyed stinks of utter failure, and holds utter crap in its wake (like a tidal wave of excrement). If you had never listened to Aesthetic Perfection before this album, you might think that Daniel Graves wouldn’t know a good idea even if it stood right in front of him, took its clothes off, and demanded to have sex. A Violent Emotion was a good idea, with its catchy version of aggrotech and enough room for the music to breathe. All Beauty Destroyed, however, is completely void of good ideas. It’s just one bad idea wrapped up nicely, with a neat little bow on top. Don’t let the packaging deceive you.

An aggrotech effort once driven by violent anger is now creating club ready, appeals-to-the-lowest-common-denominator songs with boring synths and excruciating repetition. To be fair, it could have worked, but Aesthetic Perfection is not cut out for this sound. By pairing simplistic, quieter synths with bland beats and pleasant singing (if you can call it pleasant), Aesthetic Perfection has essentially created a dance album. There’s one problem though - it’s boring. The only thing saving this album from being completely average is Daniel’s screams, yet even those are lackluster now (it sounds like he replaced his vocal chords with a frog’s). Add on to this misery many emotionless attempts at singing, and you get the picture. This is how you sell out, my friends. Forget about musical relevance and make stuff as average and unobtrusive as possible to sell albums.

“Now hold on a second”, says the reader, “Surely there must be some redeeming factors to the music!” “Well sure there are”, I say, “The beats and vocal lines can sometimes be catchy.” Or at least that’s what was meant to happen until Daniel decided to turn down any semblance of past punch. Some good choruses would have helped too, or at least some well-written lyrics, but I guess we can’t even have those. I leave you with some of the lyrics from ‘A Nice Place To Rest’:

I know,
That you want me,
I know,
That you love me,
And I hope,
When you touch me,
That you know you touch damnation.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
2.7

November 11th 2011

Oh damn, was expecting the pizzamachine to go all soft on us and give this a 2.5 but he pulled out the 2.

It is learning.

EyeForAnEye

T'is bad.

November 11th 2011

Lmao, holy shit, that album cover :P Anyways, great review, Pizza! Very fluid stuff. Pos!

November 11th 2011

Thanks a lot guys! I tried to make it longer for you Gyro hehheh.

americanohno
November 11th 2011

looks like someone got a little too messy with the chocolate sauce

November 11th 2011

Well, you're pretty damn good at the shorter reviews, I must say. I just did a quick write-up myself... probably the shortest thing I've written in a while, lol.

November 11th 2011

Will you look at that! Warning: comment incoming.

MisterSteel
November 11th 2011

Damn, and I was looking forward to this too. Oh well, thanks for the warning.

Review was well-written too, though I think it almost sounds more like a 1.5 than a 2.

November 11th 2011

Yeah it was originally going to be a 1.5 review but I changed my mind.

MisterSteel
November 11th 2011

I really do wonder what happened though. Their last two albums were pretty good, and then all of a sudden for something like this to happen.

November 11th 2011

I've no idea but man is it disappointing. :/

Tyrael

20971 Comments

Awesometastic review pizzamachine!

lol thanks!

greg84
November 11th 2011

Good review! Have a pos! I'm not gonna check this out. ;)

greg84
November 11th 2011

I don't usually check out records on the basis of cover art. If it was so, I'd give this new Steel Panther album a spin already.

November 11th 2011

Yeah you can't judge an album by its cover! Though I think you CAN judge the Steel Panther one by its cover lol.

November 11th 2011

When it comes to album art for today's harsh ebm albums, seems like there's always going to be blood, teeth, eyes, a girl, some colourful design or a combo of any of those.

You're right man

WHERE'S THE ORGINALITY

Ovrot
November 11th 2011

YES! A PIZZAMACHINE CHOCOLATE SAUCE I'M WALKING ON SUNSINE WOOO-OHHH I'M WALKING ON SUNSHINE WOOAA-OHHHH DOUBLE DIP BACKFLIP WOWWEE GOLLY GEE REVIEW!

That's a fun song! :]