brokeNCYDE
Guilty Pleasure

1.5
very poor

by Nathan Flynn CONTRIBUTOR (68 Reviews)
November 8th, 2011 | 22 replies | 6,823 views

Review Summary: BrokeNCYDE's bad habits, it appears, Will Never Die

Around a year ago, BrokeNCYDE released an album that seemed to point them in the right direction. It was an album that actually had a theme and developed a musical identity instead of just being an hour of misguided screams and wafer-thin beats. That album, Will Never Die, irritated some, but intrigued others. It signaled a change away from their ‘crunkcore’ roots and moved them more in the direction of the hip-pop sound that’s found on their most recent effort, Guilty Pleasure.

After hearing Guilty Pleasure, It is apparent that Will Never Die will remain the diamond in the rough of BrokeNCYDE’s discography. Every single negative thing that one can find to say about BrokenCYDE-- the bad beats, the immature lyrics, the lack of contribution from multiple members-- is once again apparent on this album with one exception. This exception is the harsh vocals that were once so liberally scattered across the songs have now been all but eliminated from the band’s sound. This removal brings us the lone breath of fresh air on Guilty Pleasure. Pretty much the rest of the album is ripe with criticisms to be made. The vocals are laden in autotune in the worst way possible. While autotune was used to its full potential on Will Never Die, which was mainly to provide flavor to otherwise bland choruses, it returns in full force on Guilty Pleasure. Even some of Se7en’s raps receive the voice-altering treatment, which is rather distasteful. Attempts to disrupt the pattern of blandness, such as a guest appearance from bedazzled rapper Paul Wall, only serve as gimmicks that do more harm than help. It is apparent that the pattern of musical obscenity that BrokeNCYDE established five years ago is going to take more than one fluke to break.

But perhaps what this record shows us about BrokeNCYDE is where their talent actually lay in the first place. By isolating the hip-hop element, BrokeNCYDE show on this record that it was actually the ‘crunk’ part of ‘crunkcore’ that they didn’t have a handle on. Antz’s beats are as stale as month old tortilla chips, and the lyrics are about as half-baked as those stale chips. The topics center on their usual topics of choice"sex, drugs, and rock & roll"but represent these mature topics in a particularly juvenile way. It’s like listening to a teenager tell the story of their first encounter with marijuana: so chock full of ideals and fantasies regarding the drug that it’s impossible to take the thoughts seriously. This paradigm continues when you hear Mikl singing about sexual encounters but are so distracted by boring details about getting the ‘honeys’ to disrobe that you don’t really care, no matter how cool the story is. Unfortunately, in the case of Guilty Pleasure, the stories are both boring and over-done.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. BrokeNCYDE may have fooled me into thinking that they were heading in the right direction last year, but have proven to me that they couldn’t possibly continue the progression. At the end of the day, the band is too immature to grace our presence with music that merits listening to. Another step towards the pop genre seemed to be the natural progression for BrokeNCYDE, but progression requires a certain baseline of maturity; and at the end of the day, this band just isn’t mature enough to handle change.

ScHoolboy Q OxymoronDanny Brown Old
Juicy J Stay TrippyASAP Ferg Trap Lord
Jay-Z Magna Carta... Holy GrailJimmy Eat World Damage
1.3
very poor
OFace (1)

DropdeadWHA (1.5)
Guess who's back, back again.......

November 8th 2011

I can't believe I once gave this band a positive review

auberginedreams
November 8th 2011

this is terrible, but obviously i wasn't expecting anything different. good review, although the harsh vocals haven't been "eliminated" as you stated. there's not nearly as much screaming, but it's still there. listen to the last track, it's full of screams.

Tikicobra
November 8th 2011

I'm not a fan of you giving credit to Will Never Die.

November 8th 2011

My bad aubergine, that should have said "all but eliminated" I'll edit that asap

DarthMann
November 8th 2011

still the king is the worst song

Knott-
November 8th 2011

why do you people still listen to this band's new releases?

November 8th 2011

In retrospect, I didn't do as good a job as I had hoped. I should probably never use a metaphor again.
And Adam, I only gave it a shot because I liked where they were going with their last album.

InAbsentia

3 reviews?? Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning still has one ffs

North0House2

ANOTHER ALBUM?

Digging: Amen Dunes - Love

November 8th 2011

What the hell does BC13 mean?

Digging: Armchairpolitician - Seven Segment Decoder

November 8th 2011

I've wondered that for years. As far as I can tell, it's a restyling of their name with the 13 appearing to symbolize brokenness

November 8th 2011

Really? I get ghost negged again? I can never win this reviewing approval game.

AsoTamaki
November 8th 2011

Well, look. This review isn't "funny" enough to appeal to the haters and your score is way too low for the fangirls to handle. You're gonna get negged. Don't know why you thought otherwise or why this album needs three reviews in like a day.

Anyway, I gave you a pos because you actually wrote this seriously, but I hope this is the last review we get for this album.

Aids
November 9th 2011

but I hope this is the last review we get for this band*

just let it die people.

November 9th 2011

I'm glad I saw the light too

BAGofCDS
March 9th 2012

the vanilla ice of crunk return and predictablly they suck,they were never good and will never have have a positive quality they had almost half a decade to develope and they didn't they just stayed the same

MarkTheDead
March 9th 2012

Vanilla Ice wasn't that bad dude... he just lied often. This "band" deserves nothing short of a kick to the face. I can't in all honesty call this music.

J0ckstrapsFTW
March 9th 2012

I hope this band gets in a tragic accident that allows them not to make music anymore

MarkTheDead
March 10th 2012

I'd never heard of that, however some of his music is listenable. This, from any standpoint is utter
crap. Though I didn't know he was featured in a movie. :o

ASnideReturns
February 22nd 2014

Band gets progressively worse, "I'm Not A Fan, But The Kids Like It!" at least had a couple catchy tracks.

Digging: The Relapse Symphony - Shadows