Wormrot
Noise

by YetAnotherBrick USER (28 Reviews)
November 7th, 2011 | 57 replies | 2,777 views

Review Summary: Wormrot rules again.

Wormrot fucking rules. I mean, this year they’ve already released Dirge, an absolutely ferocious, and amazing LP, and here they are following it up with an excellent EP. I would infer that this band is a bunch of kind, generous gentlemen for giving us loving fans such a large amount of amazing music, if it wasn’t for their vile, violent brand of grindcore that convinced me otherwise.

In short, the Noise EP is essentially a shorter version of Dirge with a few notable sonic differences. It’s insanely fast, insanely heavy, and just like the songs on Dirge, insanely well-written. Wormrot are masters at making their short bursts of metallic-grindcore fury seem like complete journeys, by constantly switching things up, making things faster when the song calls for it, and slowing things down, too. The riffs in each of these minute-long quests are diverse, and the quests are coherent, too; riffs and patterns are given time to be repeated in order to keep the songs together, and it’s awesome when those slower, thrashy riffs are the ones that are repeated, because those are really a special treat.

But don’t be fooled, this isn’t just a pointless re-hashing of Dirge, for Noise actually possesses a few traits that are seldom, if at all found on Wormrot’s most recent album. The main one is that the band has begun to play with feedback. Oh, what a glorious decision that was. The chords at the beginning of “Loathsome Delusions” are laced with feedback, making the riff almost resemble the intro to an epic post-metal song. It’s also seen in a riff in the middle of “Outburst of Annoyance,” and is peppered throughout the EP’s closer, “Perpetual Extinction.” Not only does the open, slower-paced feedback provide a nice (yes, short, but nice) break from the technical, palm-muted insanity of the rest of the riffs, but it also gives the songs a twisted, sinister edge that Wormrot hasn’t really experimented a lot with before.

Unfortunately, Noise is only an EP, so it doesn’t have that large amount of epic, revolutionary staying power, but a full-length that contains all the same awesome traits as this, but fully developed and drawn out longer, certainly would. The riffs hit hard, the dynamics are never dull, and all the songs have that almost scary amount of ferocity, a sound that Wormrot has now, very successfully, made themselves known for.

The Beatles Rubber SoulSerengeti Family and Friends
The Chinese Stars A Rare SensationThe National Trouble Will Find Me
The Story So Far Under Soil and DirtAesop Rock Labor Days
Richard Craig (2.5)

GhostOvPerdition (4.5)
It's Wormrot, it's amazing, and it's free. Seriously, why aren't you downloading this already?...

Dead

Dirge

Abuse

Wrote this kindasorta fast :P

November 7th 2011

i knew you were writing a review for this haha. nice job [:

Cells
November 7th 2011

Cool I havent checked this out yet ive been content with Dirge

MO

a nice little ep

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

November 7th 2011

so it doesn’t that large amount of epic

missing have i think

Great stuff. Didn't know about this

pos

It's quite good

eternium

Such a good band.

"missing have i think"

woah, you're right. thanks haha

November 7th 2011

No problem, just trying to be of some use for once :D

Man, this EP is great. Pity it lasts like 5 seconds. Well - that's what repeat all if for I guess

November 7th 2011

Should there be a comma after "gentlemen" in the first paragraph? I can't tell.

November 7th 2011

it sounds right with one haha

November 7th 2011

It sorta sounds right without one too, though. ughhhhh I HATE ALL THIS UNCERTAINTY lol

November 7th 2011

lol well you know more about grammar/punctuation than i do XD
are there 2 independent clauses? if there are then use it i guess lol

November 7th 2011

I go by the rule that if there is a pronoun and a verb that form a sentence, and then it's followed by another such structure that stems from the first thought, I'd put a comma between these. Then again - not a native English speaker ;p. I carried this rule over fom my language, it seems to hold true most any given instance.

Edit;

I don't think I would put a comma there. It's an extension of the core thought, and doesn't have a pronoun in it, that pertains to the "person" giving. If anything I'd put commas around loving fans, as it's an interjection (or whatever that's called). It's like; I will thank Y for X etc... I think ... that's a tricky one. It's already 3:10 where I am and now I'm going to go on a research spree all night (the bit of it that is left, that is) - I won't be able to just let this go.

rasputin

this review disappoints me

this is very awkward

also please never use the phrase 'epic, revolutionary staying power' to describe a record

overall this review comes off as being written by someone who has never really listened to or liked grind but downloaded dirge when it became popular on sputnik and now is trying to look like they know what they're talking about

Relinquished

exactly what I thought

eternium
November 7th 2011

Comes off that way to me too.

Band still rules.

November 7th 2011

I can see how you would think that part of the review is awkward (like I said in my first comment, this was written much quicker than my other reviews), but can you elaborate a bit on how I come off as someone just getting into grind? Because I've been listening to grind a for a while now. I tried to make the review just describe what I think Wormrot and this EP specifically does well, which I'm pretty sure it does. I don't see how that makes me look like I'm not very seasoned in their genre.