Archgoat
Heavenly Vulva (Christ's Last Rites)

by Ethereal Space Yogurt USER (205 Reviews)
October 31st, 2011 | 25 replies

Review Summary: Archgoat drop most of their black metal elements in favor of a more concise, occult influenced death metal assault.

Prepare thy self for judgement day oh holy one..........the Finnish hordes ov darkness have returned from the blackened bowels of hell to deliver a gore soaked, bestial fusion of perverse black/death metal. All that is good and decent in this world has been spoiled by Archgoat's triumphant return in 2011 with the stunning E.P Heavenly Vulva(Christ's Last Rights). Hide your wife, hide your kids, hide your husband because Archgoat is going to murder your soul with five wicked hymns straight outta Satan's playbook.

The listener is greeted with "Intro" a mere stepping stone for the savage ear slaughter that's about to take place. A collage of wind effects and distorted vocals immediately transition into the blistering death/doom piece "Blessed Vulva". Right away you notice that Archgoat have slowed things down a bit. The church bell and oppressive lead doom riff signifies a musical progression for the long running band. Archgoat's trademark Satan vocals return sounding guttural as ever seamlessly complimenting the slower tempos and occult feeling of the song. "Penetrator of the Second Temple' kicks the E.P into gear with a roaring blackened assault that find's Archoat reverting back to their roots. The song finds the band toying with new dynamics, something that really wasn't a part of their arsenal before. There are fast portions spaced out with lumbering doom passages that really help breath new life into Archgoat.

"Goddess of the Abyss" embraces Archgoat's characteristic sexually deviant behavior with expressive female moaning before erupting into thundering death metal. The death metal emphasis is more so apparent here than on any other Archgoat release that I've heard due to the stylistic shift into down-tuned riffage, guttural growls and tempo manipulation. The same statement can be said for their transgression into the doom world. However, with that said Archgoat haven't gotten any less evil or sickening to listen to. They've just begin to refine their sound. They still bring to mind an image of a Pyramid Head-esque creature awkwardly climbing out of the burned ruins of a church to viciously assault an unsuspecting victim.

Another new element to the band is the polished production. This is Archgoat's most accessible release, for better or worse. The production help's bolster their sound into a concise, organized package of death metal. The evil atmosphere, Satanic sprawlings and bestial attitude is still there, fortunately, but it sounds like everything was kind of toned down. Also, I can't say that I was pleased with Archgoat for diminishing their speedier black metal elements but at face value "Heavenly Vulva" is a great piece of occult death metal. Their latest offering while albeit lacking in some respects it still manages to be pretty solid. Packaged with five legitimate songs and 1 uneventful intro this is really just a tease for a new Archgoat full length. Fans of Archgoat, the darker shade of death metal, and the occult should give this a proper spin.

Vampyric Blood Ordo DraculPagan Hammer Ode To My fathers
Destroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & WarSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the WormTheophany Time's End: Majora's Mask Remixed

October 31st 2011

HAIL SATAN!!!! AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

Haha awesome album cover

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Hyperion1001
October 31st 2011

art is awesome probably rules pos'd

Digging: Bee Mask - When We Were Eating Unripe Pears

October 31st 2011

I need a 2011 Incantation/Archgoat split and 2012 Archgoat and Incantation full lengths in my life.

pizzamachine
October 31st 2011

Everything about this is ridiculous. Good review.

October 31st 2011

This is true metal my overzealous devil fearing friend. Hail to thee.....

pizzamachine

I fear no Devil.

October 31st 2011

I thought sputnik knew how to Satan. You guys are all fucking pussies. Eat the sole of my boot.

AngelofDeath
October 31st 2011

Gotta say the album title is pretty choice. Solid review, broham.

Eskate87
October 31st 2011

weird, i was just listening to a few songs off this last night. wasn't impressed on first listen though.

Xenophanes
October 31st 2011

You write some of the most entertaining reviews on this site

none

vox are lolbad

they rule gtfo

liledman
October 31st 2011

thought this was pretty boring.

October 31st 2011

gonna go out and scare little children as a creepy satanic old man drivin a white van (2)

This EP lacks the rawness and black metal-ness of their other stuff, I hope they return to it.