Giant Squid
Cenotes

by Eli EMERITUS
October 30th, 2011 | 22 replies | 6,381 views

Review Summary: Like its namesake, Cenotes is a deep, mysterious entity, displaying a band at the height of their creative abilities.

In my Zoological university studies, the one thing that has stuck with me the most (as well as the thing that has been hammered into my head more than anything) is that in diversifying, the Earth has become a wonderful, fascinating place. Through diversification, the world we inhabit as supported a bounty of life, each a part of a larger whole. Giant Squid, a band who has historically embraced the biological sciences, understands this. They understand that in order to obtain a beautiful, immense product, progress and evolution are an absolute must. Thus, Cenotes, their third album was born.

Cenotes is a magnificent evolution of Giant Squid. Retaining the same powerful, massive sound that was on their debut, as well as 2009’s The Ichthyologist, the band has made a record that fans could easily get behind. But Giant Squid are not the type to retread old ground. Cenotes does indeed feellike a Giant Squid album, but it is most certainly different. Where their previous works could be defined as an Isis/Neurosis related brand of post-metal, their latest feels much lighter in tone, picking up more progressive rock influences than ever. It is in this musical growth that we find the band much more comfortable than ever, allowing their creativity to flow freely. It’s certifiably a metal album, with heavy, chugging guitars and dense atmospheres. However, Giant Squid, with their incredibly varied sound, draw a lot of inspiration from a multitude of genres. Alternative rock, post rock, and even a tad of sludge are all represented here. The dual female/male vocals make for an interesting dichotomy, and the cello is used to a tasteful degree. All in all, Cenotes is a very well written, and expertly produced metal album.

From the opening moments of “Tongue Stones” it becomes clear that Cenotes is a different kind of beast. A single cello plays over an eerie atmosphere, as Aaron Gregory’s Serj Tankian-esque vocals lightly enter. The song then erupts into a darker segment, with the band’s heavier nature rearing its head. The track is a great opener, displaying just about every facet of the album. Other standouts include "Figura Sepentinata” and “Cenotes.” The latter is the album’s most bold track. It’s crushing and beautiful, with the vocals largely taking a backseat to the superb instrumentation. Although the songs here are solid, what makes Cenotes such a fantastic improvement is how deliberate it all feels. The Ichthyologist was a wonderful album, but it often felt too ambitious and too grand for its own good. With ten massive songs, the album lost momentum and felt too full of filler. Cenotes remedies this, with a tracklist and runtime of about half its predecessor. It’s concise and to the point; an album that doesn’t waste a second of play time.

Cenotes is an exceptionally crafted album (enough so that I can even forgive the gross usage of non-existent species names in the song titles), and should be seen as the band’s tour de force. More focused than ever, Giant Squid have topped themselves in every sense, giving cause for excitement and anticipation in regards for their bright future.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas
Alex Newton (4)
Once again reinventing themselves, Giant Squid dive even deeper into their seemingly-bottomless musi...

Xenophanes

evening sputnik

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Deviant.
October 30th 2011

Cenotes is magnificent evolution of Giant Squid.

Missing "a" after is

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

Lucid
October 30th 2011

Am I gonna like this at all

Digging: Braid - No Coast

Waior

bravo xeno

I may just give it a shot too

pizzamachine
October 30th 2011

Love the first paragraph.

WatchItExplode
October 30th 2011

I sampled when this was streaming and and didn't get too excited about it.......however, their music seems to have the most impact when I let it sneak up on me (shuffle etc.)

Voivod

excellent review, pos.

may check this out.

Digging: Electric Citizen - Sateen

MassiveAttack
October 30th 2011

*height xeno, other than that it is a well-written review

October 31st 2011

I should listen to more metal

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

crazyblinddude
October 31st 2011

Cool review, Eli. Never listened to these guys though. Where would be the best place to start?

Valerius
October 31st 2011

Good stuff. Some heavy riffs in this. Cello is nice.

Tyrael

20711 Comments

I love you Eli

scissorlocked
October 31st 2011

If this matches Ichthyologist then its probably worth listening

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

Jethro42
October 31st 2011

I approached that band recently and I like what I heard so far. Great review, Xeno.

sexpoi
October 31st 2011

good review. Still haven't checked this band out

iFghtffyrdmns

i'll be god damned.
congrats Eli, fully deserved in every which way.
MD taking over sputnik one contributor tag at a time

Xenophanes
October 31st 2011

Hey man thanks. It's an honor to serve along side you on two fucking sites haha

Det_Nosnip
October 31st 2011

Oh yeah. Forgot about these guys. Metridium Fields was awesome.

seedofnothing
November 1st 2011

listening to this now

pleasantly suprised at how much im enjoying this, more so then mastodon's the hunter, feels much less watered down

FenixZero
November 2nd 2011

I've heard this several times after it was streamed on NPR in its entirety. Love it.