Foster the People
Torches

by thedoors55 USER (3 Reviews)
October 18th, 2011 | 15 replies | 4,010 views

Review Summary: A mosaic of raw instrumentation and cool effects. I recommend everyone listen to this album before they decide whether or not they like this group or not. The day after I heard this album....I bought it on a LP. :P I hope anyne who listens to this album e

I've come along many people who I questioned and said, "Say, have you heard that new song by a group called Foster the People? The song is called 'Pumped Up Kicks', heard of it?"A great amount of people had said 'yes' and more people who said, "Yes, I love that song!" When people say that words spread quickly, they truly do. Foster the People really live up to their name, which was in fact, and accident of public mishearing(they were originally called Foster & the People, but the people that listened to them mistakenly called them 'Foster the People' and the name stuck).

While Foster the People may have made a smash with their song 'Pumped Up Kicks', they made an album that exemplified that hit. They made a modern focus album, with some quirks of pure genius. From the eerie intro of the last rack 'Warrant' to the upbeat poppy promo song of 'Helena Beat', this album has made a mark. It has a perfect balance of synthesized melody, however it contains raw percussion and instrumentation.

The album gets a breezy start with the promo song 'Helena Beat'. It can be described as a breezy and catchy melody. It can be heard fading out until the ground-breaking intro to 'Pumped Up Kicks'. It tells tales of a ''bad boy'' kid that smokes and is coming for you. Then the line before he goes into the iconic chorus, he yells, ''Your hairs on fire.'' Afterward, he says the chorus that probably got this song on the charts.

Another outstanding song is 'Houdini', with the deep backbeat on the drum, piano and synthesizer effects, and mystique vocals. It's a good choise for a promo song if you ask me. Some of the songs have cool names, for instance 'Life on the Nickel'. The lyrics are just as remarkable on this album on this album as much as the instruments backing. 'Call it What You Want' has great lyrical base as well as instrumentation. 'I Would Do Anythiing for You' and 'Warrant' have a eerie and almost psychedelic intro, echoing the Cars and adding atmosphere to the whole beginning and end of the B side. I enjoyed the album a whole lot. There are other albums that it are similar to it, but nothing of this age. The day after I heard the album on the computer....I went to the record store and bought it on LP. I truly enjoyed this album and Foster the People, and I hope to see that they come out with another album.

3.2
good
Jacob Hampton (4)
These are one of those times when we're gonna have a lot of fun....

Rudy K. STAFF (3)
Meet the new boss; same as the old boss....

Conor (3)
An excellent debut album, yet it could have been so much more....

This album is pretty sweet but it gets old when you play it as much as I did

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

lucasjcockcroft
October 18th 2011

I hate that pumped up kicks song

toxin.
October 18th 2011

I only know "Pumped Up Kicks"

It's an alright song despite getting anally raped by the radio. Can't be bothered to listen to the rest

October 18th 2011

i know thats the popular one so im supposed to hate it, but it's definitely my favorite off of here

SCREAM!
October 18th 2011

i like the dubstep remix of pumped up kicks if that counts for anything

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

pizzamachine
October 18th 2011

Pretty fun album, it was great to chill to.

JWT155

Helena. Beat.

iFghtffyrdmns
October 18th 2011

they had a song off this streaming on barstoolu
therefore i'm going to have to assume it's way way overhyped and actually not that good

pizzamachine
October 19th 2011

If I like it, it must be good.

Aids

great summary

Irving

This album is pretty sweet but it gets old when you play it as much as I did

This. And "Pumped Up Kicks" rules.

natey

here

i think the reasoning behind that is if you hear it at often randomly in the car or in commercials or
in shoppng malls or stadiums you can get sick of hearing the same chords and lyrics in so many
situations. no one should automatically hate anything popular lol

Nomad

It's a fun listen but definitely not a 4.5

JWT155

I disagree.

LPFTW
November 10th 2012

This review seriously does not do this album justice

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile