Sonny Rollins
Saxophone Colossus

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
October 12th, 2011 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1957 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 100% Jazz

During the era of the 1950's, Jazz was at it's highest, packing almost countless numbers of incredible releases. Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Duke Ellington, and Shorty Rogers were just the start of the high tranquility the genre would break into during the time. Sonny Rollins was no exception. With the high energy and brilliant song crafting, Saxophone Colossus marks one of the most prominent Jazz albums to ever hit the market. The melodies, relaxing vibes, and gradually developing movement of the horns really capture what Jazz can fufill for a single set down.

The album carries out 5 songs, each retaining a different feel. "St. Thomas" engulfs a 100% filled Jazz essential, carrying away with the skipping drums. This song mainly is assumed as being a typical "Jazz standard" for most, with a rich delivery of the horns, and hits of the cymbals and snares. The tune "You Don't Know What Love Is" is a ballad, which occording to Rollins, classifies as being very distinctive. It's a more slow paced, and soothing inquire. "Strode Rode" is more of a scrambled Hard Bop mass. A special guest, Doug Watkins attmempts a glorious job on the Bass, and fufills well ove 100%. The trumpeter Freddie Webster was left for dead at that same vicinity. The last two are the epics to be found. They are both evenly paired up with eccentric Trumpets, Saxophones, Drum Rhythems, and vibrant atmosphere. "Moritat" contemplates as being another Jazz standard. The melody is very bizarre, and full of prime energy to match. The last masterpiece, is "Blue 7", which is a dazzling Blues song, which is over 11 minutes long. Rollins has been accounted for this being his most praised song, sinking in an emotional and masterful Melody. Experimentation lies on some of this, with the three distinctive and beautiful solos of the use of horns to finish bits and pieces of it off.

In terms, this album is heavily regarded as being a supreme Jazz Essential. It delivers all you can ask for in the Jazz criteque. The incredible use of the Trumpets, Pianos, Drums, and Emotion glorify and become evenly distributed as the songs progress. Although in my opinion, most of this material is an acquired taste. Some might feel a little bored with the repititive use of the Instruments, but others might feel as if they're set on a wild journey, giving way to the imaginitive play of the Trumpets and Pianos.

The main standpoint of Jazz in the 1950's was and still is an interesting one. A wide range of artists delivered many varatioins of deep releases. The genre of Jazz, in my opinion was at it's best in the 50's, and is sometimes regarded as being so still by many of today. Rollins is still breathing today, and lets just hope before his remains set down, he will release another piece to equal this one.

Napalm Death From Enslavement to ObliterationBloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesMudvayne Mudvayne
Napalm Death ScumVenetian Snares Doll Doll Doll
4.2
trending jazz albums

Digital Dream Sequence

Gene
October 12th 2011

Pretty good review for the most part. Some of it bounced around a lot but overall it was fairly good

pos

SwayzeFaced
October 12th 2011

definitely a classic. sweet review.

Athom
October 12th 2011

one of my favorite jazz albums.

sniper

19080 Comments

yeah this album is awesome. one of the first albums i ever heard probably.

porch
October 12th 2011

learn when to use capital letters

and spellcheck

TheSpirit
October 12th 2011

this doesn't even make sense

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

Hyperion1001
October 12th 2011

You're still using words in the wrong context all over the place. Stick to a vocabulary you know and understand rather than trying to fit all these big words in where they don't fit.

Digging: Bee Mask - When We Were Eating Unripe Pears

October 12th 2011

Yeah I have a problem with that. I think I try and think too much on one sentence. I'm gonna work on that but thanks everyone

liledman
October 12th 2011

yeah sometimes the words seem to run away from you. i can understand what you are trying to say for the most part, its all just very awkwardly phrased.

havent listened to this in a while, or rollins for that matter.

October 12th 2011

Rollins can make some good stuff

Transient
October 12th 2011

i remember i was going to review this back when i actually thought i knew stuff about jazz, you probably should've made the same decision and not written about shit you have no clue about

October 12th 2011

No I actually do this review was just a little rushed

WashboardSuds

"occording"

according

Digging: Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo... - Good Morning Good Night

Cheesewireism
October 13th 2011

Ryan, I know yoou are not autistic, you can form realistic sentences, you do it in PERSON. Other than that, good review. I used to be a heavy fan of Jazz, I'll consider getting back into that.

October 13th 2011

Thanks Will lol

YankeeDudel
April 3rd 2013

ehhh id say this is 96% jazz

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

Technetium
December 28th 2013

There are no trumpets in this album. The only horn player is Sonny himself on the tenor sax.

ShitsofRain