Evanescence
Evanescence

good

by BrilliantChaos USER (5 Reviews)
October 11th, 2011 | 8 replies

Review Summary: Nothing new here, for obvious reasons.

There's something almost funny about Evanescence's decision to self-title their third album. With countless lineup changes over the past few years which culminated in the departure of all but one original member, the very concept of Evanescence as an ensemble has seemed almost irrelevant for quite some time now. When factored in with the countless recording and songwriting delays the “group” has faced since the release of their sophomore album The Open Door back in 2006, the return of Evanescence as anything but a rather shaky life support for frontwoman Amy Lee's sizable ego seemed all but impossible. Even the ensemble's most diehard eventually got tired of waiting for the band to come up with something new and instead set their sights on a solo record from the group's lead vocalist. Then, against all odds, the ensemble finally announced the impending release of a new record for the first time in five years.

On the whole, the music of Evanescence the album seems to be the logical next step in the evolution of Evanescence the band. Whereas their first release consisted of enjoyable but relatively safe gothic pop while its follow-up saw track after track of meandering, directionless “epic” sounds, this new album includes a mix of songs which fall somewhere between the two extremes. Hook-driven opening number and lead single “What You Want” is in many ways reminiscent of “Bring Me To Life” and “Everybody's Fool”, while another early track, “The Change” falls dangerously close to the territory of the weakest selections from The Open Door. All of the love, death, and angst which have spanned Evanescence's catalog since the group's inception are back in full force, combined here with occasional hints of rebellion.

Despite Amy Lee's insistence that Evanescence would be the band's most group-oriented release to date, there's really nothing new here in terms of the composition of each individual track. The basic formula for Evanescence's success has always been quite evident – the instrumentalists play some technically decent but forgettable stuff, Lee layers her melodramatic vocals on top, and teenage fangirls everywhere run out and buy millions of records – and it still applies here with very little variation. It is this aspect of the band's music which forms the very core of what Evanescence is.

History has proven over and over again that, regardless of what every interview with the band in recent years has tried to convey, virtually every member of this ensemble is replaceable, with the sole exception of Lee herself. It isn't the guitars, drums, or basses that have continued to keep interest in this ensemble alive. It's the angry girl with the iconic voice who has always (despite what some long-term fans from the ensemble's early days continue to insist) been the face of Evanescence, and, indeed, of her genre as a whole. It is for this reason that Evanescence sounds so much like the group's earlier releases, despite the numerous changes in the band's lineup. Amy Lee was, is, and always will be at the very heart of Evanescence, and as long as she stays involved, the band itself is never really going to change.

3.2
good
Bill Thomas (1.5)

Matthew D. French (3.5)
A surprising album, Evanescence’s self-titled shows maturity and ends up being more engaging than ...

SlimJim (4)
After a 5-year hiatus, Evanescence churn out their most musically interesting and technically impres...

Deviant.

Woah 1 paragraph

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Woah bad music

October 11th 2011

Not a bad review over all. needs some minor editing e.g. Hyphens where there should be parentheses and breaking up your paragraphs.

"The resulting album is remarkable, not because it is groundbreaking in any way, but because the dynamics behind its creation prompt an interesting question: what, exactly, does it mean to be a band?"

Seems like an odd transition to me... unnecessary pontification perhaps?

BrilliantChaos
October 11th 2011

I did fix the paragraph spacing (I blame my computer for that one)... and I did write this while running on maybe two hours of sleep, so I'll be coming back to edit later today after I wake up and my thought process is a little bit less erratic.

October 11th 2011

look forward to your corrections sir.

AsoTamaki
October 11th 2011

Well written although there's too much talk about general band history/the past and not enough about the album/current band, imo.

As for your opinion, I'm not sure how you could think this record isn't more of a group effort. Many of these songs are extremely guitar driven and may indeed be forgettable if not for the guitar-riffs which were (surprise!) not written by Amy Lee. Songs where each member plays an equal role like "Oceans" or one where she "is the band" such as "Swimming Home" are also fairly experimental in that they create a new sound for Evanescence and showcase some of that variety you say is nowhere to be found. No mention of that though.

toxin.
October 11th 2011

Your rhetoric is well-written but empty. Like it's been pointed out before, it really lacks necessary description for the album.

I won't pos since there isn't enough info about the album but I won't neg since it's well-written.

BrilliantChaos
October 11th 2011

Thanks for the helpful criticism, all. As you can probably tell, I'm still rather new at this whole "writing logical and thought-out reviews" thing, and I do tend to get tied up in band history, because that's what I focus most on. I'll be working on fixing that.