The Dear Hunter
Green

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2011 | 35 replies

Review Summary: I never know just when and where to stop

We have a delightful word for plants in the English language called “greenery”. There’s no other colour that gets to be a blanket-term for any entire group of organisms. Can you imagine? I mean, I guess an “orangery” could be the fruitier cousin of the modern winery but even that’s pushing it. Unlike other colours, green gets to represent every shrub, leaf and delicious bowl of broccoli soup we encounter. It doesn’t stop there though: what about “going green”, having a “green thumb” and the Parti vert du Canada? It’s kind of a natural, albeit cliche, choice to have Green be the woodsy, folksy, strip-down-to-your-skivvies and buy-a grass-skirt-by-the-campfire EP with all this flowery environmentalist tripe clinging to the very mention of the colour. But can you blame The Dear Hunter? Can you really get upset at the inclusion to include harmonicas, mandolins, steel guitars and an army of strings? No, you really can’t. Especially when they pull off being “green” so maddeningly well.

And it makes you wonder why it took them so long to invest in a mandolin. Green doesn’t choose a pace or tempo to plod along at nor does it have one uniform sound but it’s all loosely tied around that same earthy vibe. The psychedelic ‘Crow and Cackle’ is just a few genetic differences from being The Decemberists’ ‘Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned)’ with its lethargic 6/4 plod and its lazy slide guitar parts, ‘Things That Hide Away’ is simply a grown-up version of Act II’s ‘Black Sandy Beaches’ and upbeat ‘The Canopy’ may just be the band’s most heartfelt and genuinely untroubled-sounding song. But once again, it’s Crescenzo’s transparency as a writer with emotions we never knew he had that helps Green succeed. He asks the same simple question we all ask with “why do we live, why do we die? Maybe we’re just never meant to know” and while he might ask “why?” a time too many, there’s something in that sincerity of his that makes it hard not to empathise. And empathise we do when he heartbrokenly bleats “you’re only just saying what I wanted you to say” on ‘Crow and Cackle’. With Crescenzo’s multi-faceted concept story outside of the picture, he once again gets an opportunity to write from the heart and there’s something perfect about the organic, ziploc-bag-o-dirt appeal of Green that gives it such a heartfelt aura. And while Blue brings Crescenzo to an emotional climax, Green is, in more than one punny way, a down-to-earth Casey we’ve never yet met.

Oh, and lest we forget: ‘The Inheritance’ is probably Crescenzo's sexiest vocal performance ever.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences

October 3rd 2011

the summary is actually a confession

theacademy

"Inheritance" is one of my top 5 songs across the spectrum

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

HBFS
October 3rd 2011

probably my second favourite ep, cool review

October 3rd 2011

i really love the inheritance. i agree acad

thanks hbfs

October 3rd 2011

haha this has a best new music tag

Lucid

my favorite with violet

chesse13
October 3rd 2011

i want to listen to all of thses sooooooooo bad now. thats m,y goal for today

Digging: -

Irving
October 3rd 2011

Your skills with the pen make me go green with envy.

(har har har I'm soooo farnee)

taylormemer
October 3rd 2011

"There’s no other colour that gets to be a blanket-term for any entire group of organisms."

plants?

But I get what you were saying, don't worry

Aids
October 3rd 2011

really good review caleb, nice and succinct. this is one of my favourites in the collection, which makes sense I guess cause green is obviously the best colour.

p-p-p-p-p-p-pos

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

scissorlocked

ace review

will listen soon

Digging: Traumprinz - All The Things

Tyrael

20893 Comments

Oh hey it's an amazing Waior review what a surprise!
....

NOT

Omaha
October 3rd 2011

Very good review Waior, pos. I didn't like this when I was into the Color Spectrum too much, but perhaps bc of you Ill give it another chance.

MO
October 3rd 2011

Nice review, agreed The Inheritance is great.

iFghtffyrdmns

Great write-up Caleb.
But you omitted one thing in that big green paragraph that I feel is important to include, as it surely outweighs all those others in importance:
Green is iFghtffyrdmns's second favorite color.

Alright cool thanks make that change and we're all good buddy

Maize
October 4th 2011

Please review Yellow. That is all.

klap
October 4th 2011

i thought this was your least favorite caleb? or is that yellow

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

October 4th 2011

i think it is my least favourite, but it still grew on me

then again 'least favourite' is still a favourite eh?

klap

true, true

Ishysez
November 2nd 2011

This EP is the poor man's Sam Beam. Still, its an enjoyable yet forgettable listen. Except for The Inheritance of course