Dysphoria
Satyriasis XXI

good

by Wat USER (11 Reviews)
October 1st, 2011 | 12 replies | 3,319 views

Dysphoria is a Ukranian band that label themselves as "regressive mathcore/deathcore" and lineup as:

Led - Guitars
Slash - Vocals
Fozz - Guitars
Romankeen - Drums

Satyriasis XXI starts off with an introduction song Whispers in my Head. Most deathcore bands start off with an atmospheric intro but these guys decide to just blast into the deathcore/hardcore part of their album with this song. This song involves a *** load of chugging and a basic deathcore drum pattern of blast beats, etc. but the real standout of this song and album is the vocalist who has huge diversity from pig squeals to gutturals and growls, etc.

The next three songs are similar but vary a bit but lead into the more experimental side of Dysphoria which starts off with the song Penguincore's What You Deserve. It has the same basic structure of the earlier songs but has a whole bunch of crazy dissonant chords thrown in to mix it up a bit. The title song is also a mathy one but this time they've thrown in tapping and bends instead of dissonant chords. This song also involves what sound like constipated shouts but work with the song. After the breakdown it goes back into a more penguincore style bit but then regresses to some more tapping riffs. Pulsing Evisceration again involves tapping riffs this weird sounding intro riff, harmonics and dissonant chords. This is carried throughout the last half of the album except for the outro which reverts back to the earlier style.

On this album there is a drum machine but live they have a real drummer who plays. The programmed drums don't sound too bad and fit itn quite well with the rest. The best performances on this album though are the guitars and vocals. The guitarists show off some of their prowess later in the album but also have some really heavy breakdowns and chugs. The vocalsit has quite alot of range which is displayed throughout the album.

There are some fairly major downsides to this album though. The first half of the album can become quite repeteive and even thhough the vocals are quite amazing the pig squeals are overused and can sometimes sound like they lack depth and power.

Dysphoria's debut EP, Satyriasis XXI, is good but by no means something that will be worshipped as an amazing album that changed the metal world. It incorporates features of deathcore, mathcore and beatdown hardcore. The first half of the CD is beatdown hardcore and deathcore influenced and the second half is almost entirely mathcore so if you don't like hardcore just skip the first four or five songs and if you don't like mathcore just skip the last four or five songs. Simple as that. It is quite a short listen with 10 songs clocking in at 22 minutes but give it a listen and see what you think. You might like it.

Joncofy Rorschach InkblotsSea of Skies Sea of Skies
The Browning Burn This WorldDon Caballero Don Caballero II
Ultrageist UltrageistGru Cosmogenesis

October 1st 2011

criticism highly appreciated. I probably spelt a bunch of shit wrong but I'll probably pick that up on my read through.

Exodus287
October 2nd 2011

I remember hearing this album. This is a hell of a lot heavier than the other 100 Deathcore albums I've heard, very brutal but
gets boring fast. Good review!

October 2nd 2011

Thanks Exodus. It definitely brings the heavy but tends to lose it's impact after a few listens. I think it loses the impact because of how short it is. You could listen to this three times in an hour and when you're a person like me who tends to leave his CD's on repeat it does tend to get boring.

TheArkitecht
October 2nd 2011

Why would you label yourself as regressive...that just makes them sound generic and kinda ridiculous.

foxblood
October 2nd 2011

what is "regressive" mathcore/deathcore supposed to mean?

@foxblood
From first thought I say childish. Still not a bad effort.

foxblood
October 3rd 2011

yeah this is actually some alright brutal death, i've just never heard a band call themselves regressive before.

October 3rd 2011

Lots of so called technical brutal death metal coming out nowadays. This isn't my favourite by far but it isn't a bad attempt. Hedonistic Exility and Viraemia are better if you're looking for something in this genre.

alytee123
October 4th 2011

I think the Regressive label is just a joke. Album is mental.

americanmusicmachine
October 4th 2011

COCKSSSSSSSSSS

Eulogize
January 30th 2012

Listened to one of the songs off of this on last.fm and holy shit was it good.

tempest--
November 11th 2013

holy lol i remember this band

ah to be young and into deathcore, and the quest to find the most brutal thing in existence