The Dear Hunter
Violet

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
October 1st, 2011 | 25 replies | 14,030 views

Review Summary: put centre stage: regret, remorse, regard

Results are in: Judge Judy and executioner both agree, Violet sounds the most like The Dear Hunter. Out of all the EPs, sir Casey Crescenzo are smack dab in the middle of their comfort zone on Violet; guns, horses and horns ablaze. At least, that’s what I’ve been told. But if The Color Spectrum has taught us but one damn thing, it’s that if you’ve passed the endurance test and listened to this entire thing chronologically, you know The Dear Hunter don’t have a box to think outside of. The entire world of music is their comfort zone until proven otherwise. Violet is more accurately the sound of Crescenzo and co. ironing out the theatrics they were toying with on Act III... only, of course, they’ve amplified it. They brought in the big guns - you’re dealing with some serious trombones, spy-movie motifs and harpsichords here. And if you thought ‘The Tank’ was pretty dramatic and indulgent for a prog-pop song, wait until you here the string arrangement on ‘Lillian’. Violet may find The Dear Hunter revisiting familiar territory but they’ve never done it quite like this. That cozy little comfort zone of theirs just keeps expanding.

Just like the colourblind Dear Hunter of the yesteryear, new-improved-polychromatic Crescenzo embraces subtlety like a porcupine embraces a balloon. But somehow, karma’s on the winning team this time - Violet is impeccably orchestrated and composed, containing some of The Dear Hunter’s absolute best pop compositions ever. At its least accessible is opener ‘Mr. Malum’, a confident, thespian romp of dramatic string arrangements, gang vocals and one delightfully catchy chorus lamenting yet another one of Crescenzo’s seedy caricatures. And it’s only fitting Crescenzo is singing about ill-intentioned, fictitious douchebags again when the the music is damn show-biz. I mean, really, the guy’s more intimate lyricism would be so uncomfortably juxtaposed with all the clarinets and fairydust of Violet that it might’ve possibly ruined the entire atmosphere. Luckily, the clarinets and whatnot get special treatment: take, for example the Bond swagger of ‘Look Away’; ripe with stuttered consonants, alliterating narrative and Crescenzo’s most cocky, asserted vocal performance yet. It’s one of the collection’s cheekiest and finest cuts.

And even then, ‘Look Away’, in all its grandeur, is no ‘Lillian’. Mark my words, ‘Lillian’ just might be the best song The Dear Hunter have ever written. Underscored by impeccably composed plucked strings and a slow, rhythmic 23/4 build-up to a huge chorus (you heard me right), ‘Lillian’ is the most comfortable yet intelligent arrangement the band has pulled off. Complimented by a suitably and truly epic chorus, Crecenzo warns us “don’t get stuck in something you hate” over the pitch-perfect, half-time drums and absolutely, absolutely perfect string arrangement. Did I mention those strings? They couldn’t be mentioned enough. For all the successes The Dear Hunter managed on this project, ‘Lillian’ is the crown jewel of the collection on its own and a testament to how the band’s drama-queen syndrome is finally blossoming into something valuable. The bombast is no longer just fun and ridiculous on a novelty level, it’s quality songwriting and impressive arrangements - instrumentally, lyrically and vocally. And that’s what makes Violet one of the best EPs on The Color Spectrum. The theatrics that once were their in their “experiment-zone” on Act III are now part of their ever-expanding “comfort-zone”. Oh, what a long way we’ve come from ‘The Pimp and the Priest’...

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences

October 1st 2011

i enjoy how these ep reviews allow me to be as zany as i want. four points to whoever knows where the judge judy
mention comes from...

my second favourite ep i think!

cb123

2006 Comments

one of the better ones for sure, starting to really love this collection

po0ty

October 1st 2011

Great review man, I really like Violet. I think Blue has turned out to be my favorite, unexpectedly

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

October 1st 2011

pooty, that's pretty much how the eps sound actually. minus the regality of this one haha, not even

thanks ohama. i like your tiara

October 1st 2011

Aw shucks! I think it complements my beard rather nicely.

I like your, uh, pooping abilities?

I try

October 1st 2011

Oh my god, I loved that. Modern Family is so great; it makes me forget about all the shittier shows on television these days.

Destructerator
October 1st 2011

Fuck yes, easily my favorite part of the album.

Actually, now that I think about it, I much prefer these shorter EPs, makes less room for error.

NeutralThunder12
October 1st 2011

this EP utilizes everything I love about great songwriting.

NeutralThunder12
October 1st 2011

Lillian possibly is their best song, lyrically its by far their most meaningful and insightful. fuckkk

Irving
October 1st 2011

Sigh. Waior, can I borrow your brain the next time I want to do some reviewing? Thanks.

Love,
Irv.

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

RedSky

@RiffOClock

It makes sense that you're commenting here then.

Aids
October 1st 2011

I havent really given The Color Spectrum a proper listen in a long time.

sweet review though Caleb, almost as awesome as that avatar (almost)

Aids-pos! (they're worth more fyi)

TheArkitecht
October 1st 2011

One of the better EP's from the collection, only managed to make it through all of them once and it was a true test of patience and endurance. But an awesome test nonetheless.

Lakes.
October 1st 2011

I concur with your rating waior. Probably my favorite EP other than Indigo.

Digging: Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

Xenophanes

Really excellent review, Caleb. But sadly it's my least favorite : (

Xeno, u crazy!

tiesthatbind
October 2nd 2011

One of my least favorites as well.

Destructerator