Savatage
Edge Of Thorns

by TheNotrap USER (10 Reviews)
September 28th, 2011 | 39 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And so we end this chapter...And let the stage lights fade

Savatage always have been a distinctive and highly respected band. Since their debut Sirens, the fan base and critics became accustomed to the peculiar Oliva brothers style that combines the traditional Heavy Metal formula of the early 80's with intelligent and more progressive elements.
If their first releases, Sirens, The Dungeons Are Calling and Power of the Night were more heavy/power metal oriented, based upon the already established metal standards, Hall of the Mountain King and specially Gutter Ballet or Streets: A Rock Opera (let's forget the pitiful Fight for the Rock) were definitely more progressive mainly due to Jon Oliva increasing love for Broadway shows like The Phantom of the Opera. This progressive and more complex era built them an extremely solid world wide reputation which culminated with the acclaimed Streets: A Rock Opera, a concept album about the rise and fall of a fictional rock star character called DT Jesus. This would be the last Savatage album with Jon Oliva as lead singer until Poets and Madmen released on 2001.

Edge of Thorns is the first album to feature Zachary Stevens on vocals. Even if Zachary's performance sometimes misses Jon's unique emotional signature, his more technical and smooth range suites perfectly into Savatage more traditional and guitar-driven new songs.
This chemistry is perfectly achieved in the amazing title track, that starts with a mysteriously beautiful piano phrase followed by Criss Oliva's inspired epic riff and Zachary's melodic smooth vocals. Edge of Thorns still remains one of Savatage most remarkable compositions and a live favourite for many years.

After the opening song, the listener instantly perceives that this album was specially made for Criss. Stylish songs like He Carves His Stones, Lights Out, Skraggy's Tomb or Miles Away are all filled with impressive guitar lines flowing between delicate harmonies and elegant riffs, while the more powerful anthems Degrees of Sanity, Conversations Piece and Damien drive the album into denser grounds, making Edge of Thorns heavier than the previous rock opera adventure. However we still find the progressive touch of Gutter Ballet and Streets on All That I Bleed, Follow Me, Exit Music or in the brief instrumental Labyrinths, helping to build a smart bridge between their previous work and the new stylish approach, avoiding also monotonous fields. Lyrically, Edge of Thorns left the previous concept storytelling of Streets jumping into individual but still intelligent narratives delivering each song a very unique and distinctive identity.

Overall Edge of Thorns remains one of Savatage most memorable albums, a very solid piece of work based on smart songwriting, great musical performances and diverse ambiences that smoothly flow throughout the entire album. But sadly it's also Criss Oliva swan song, his tragic death just after its release make Edge of Thorns the last chapter of an amazingly talented young guitar player.

And here I am once again listening to Edge of Thorns, singing with a smile in my face:

“And so we end this chapter
And let the stage lights fade”

Pros:
Edge of Thorns
Criss Oliva and Zachary Stevens performances
Sound Engineering

Cons:
Smart, but sometimes too cerebral songwriting
Electronic drum set

Marillion FugaziBolt Thrower War Master
Metal Church Blessing in DisguiseDio Sacred Heart
Coroner Punishment for DecadenceScorpions World Wide Live

Guys I hope you like this Savatage review

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey

pizzamachine
September 28th 2011

Great review man, and props for reviewing Savatage!

September 28th 2011

Thanks a lot pizzamachine.

Savatage is a criminally underrated band...

Voivod
September 28th 2011

This didn't have a review???

Fantastic album!! Haven't listened to it in ages.........

It was Paul O' Neil who introduced them to Broadway after the Fight for the Rock fiasco.

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

September 28th 2011

Yeah It was Paul. Paul O' Neil was a very important piece on Savatage's more progressive era. Paul helped on lyrics, concepts and of course on production.

Glad to see you know about this band Voivod.

And yes, this is a great album.

How is your Bolt Thrower review going?

rockandmetaljunkie
September 28th 2011

You are getting better with each review. Keep it up.

Savatage is one of my favorite bands and indeed criminally underrated.

Thanks a lot man.
Didn't know you love Savatage ;-)

One of those bands that always tried to break the standard metal cliches.
Edge Of Thorns, Gutter Ballet and Hall of the Mountain King are my savafav

WhiteWallStargazers
September 28th 2011

So is this like Trans-Siberian Orchestra except w/o the orchestra and christmas themes?

September 28th 2011

It's very different from Trans-Siberian Orchestra...More classic Heavy Metal...less Brodway meets rock...

If you wish dig the amazing title track:

pizzamachine
September 28th 2011

You'll totally like it Stargazers.

Good job, dude!

Thanks Jethro!

If you feel like it listen to the title track (link above) and tell me your opinion.

September 28th 2011

Good stuff bro, although it's not exactly my kind of metal.

I know

An amazing song IMO

September 28th 2011

Man, you probably know Iced Earth...?

Yes I know them.

Not a particular fan, why?

IrishJay91
September 28th 2011

oh hey a Savatage review. good stuff.

September 28th 2011

Ah, because I used to listen to them. I still have ''Burnt Offerings'' and ''Alive in Athens'' and couple more songs in my comp, but for some reasons, I don't put them to my cd player anymore. I like the progressiveness found in some of their songs.

@IrishJay91
I'm glad you like this band. Yes, great stuff indeed

@Jethro
I respect those guys but never was a fan. Yes Jon Schaffer put some prog glimpses on his songs.

Savatage is a different band, I believe if you dig their work you will like them. They are definitely more prog than Iced Earth.

If you wish listen to Streets: A Rock Opera. A concept album full of good prog moments....kinda Brodway meets Heavy Metal
But Edge Of Thorns is also very good.

September 28th 2011

All right then, I'll be sure to take a look at these, thanks bud!