Jenny Hval
Viscera

by Sam Feldman's Rating USER (66 Reviews)
September 26th, 2011 | 294 replies | 16,207 views

Review Summary: And up we went, blood and I, spread over the city.

How can something so unreal be so visceral? Viscera is an album about lust, but it's also about travel. While the themes presented here aren't entirely new, Hval takes this journey in a completely poetic way, every phrase destructive, every refrain potent. It's the work of somebody that allows you to peak into their id - the view is dark and often disturbing. Perhaps the vocal melodies are to blame; after all, her voice all but encompasses every inch of the record, as if a ghost leading the meta-physical body through all the transformations to the soul that take place in the frozen lake of Cocytus.

Further delves reveal Viscera to be tight for how drawn out and expansive these songs are. A sign of great songwriting; these folk(?) tunes are stretches out and tinkered with until the entire machine just collapses (the Cranberries-esque rock-out outro of "The Portrait Of A Young Girl As An Artist"). Hval plays with unconventional structures (like the completely linear and meandering but always engaging "This Is A Thirst") though her songs have waves of memorable moments. Viscera, even through its massive force, is paced beautifully thanks to Hval's dizzying variety of phrasing and melodies. She goes everywhere on the album; up, down, in and out, quiet and piercing. Whether her virtuosity is alluding to the movement and travel themes I'm not sure. Either way, Viscera is all Hval's own.

But it's Hval's lyrics that create the illusion that this is the most profound listening experience since the turn of the new decade. After all, it's not everyday a female artist revels in her own primal sexuality quite like this. Hval spans these 9 gorgeous tracks literally turning herself inside out. As the stunning closing track "Black Morning/Viscera" puts it: "and upside down, I felt my organs falling out. Through my throat, one by one.". So gripping. So visceral.

Women Public StrainHip Hatchet Coward's Luck
The Roots undunTwo Door Cinema Club Tourist History
Real Estate DaysDirty Beaches Badlands
Lewis P. STAFF (5)
review pending...

Eli EMERITUS (5)

hyperi0n STAFF (4.5)
I carefully rearranged my senses, so they could have a conversation......

Innocence Is Kinky

DiceMan

neg

September 26th 2011

Listening to this right now brahhhhh

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

Lucid
September 26th 2011

Yes! Thanks for writing this, you did a great job with it. I like how you mentioned how all-encompassing her vocals are - there are many points during the album where I stop myself and think: "uh...where is the music?". But her vocals are so emotionally resonant and revealing that I frankly don't care.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Athom
September 26th 2011

someone's read the Divine Comedy.

September 26th 2011

Going to be honest with you Sam, that opening paragraph doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially this:

"Perhaps the vocal melodies are to blame; after all, her voice all but encompasses every inch of the record, as if a ghost leading the meta-physical body through all the transformations to the soul that take place in the frozen lake of Cocytus."

Maybe if you added 'were' after 'as if ghost,' but even still it's a little...awkward.

Another example of awkward wording is this:

"Further delves reveal Viscera to be tight for how drawn out and expansive these songs are."

I'm glad that you wrote this though, because people should be listening to this right now. I might take a crack at reviewing it after I finish working on a few other things.

Electric City

dream folk
it's pretty good

conradtao

2088 Comments

Love this. It's really, really gorgeous.

September 26th 2011

Ok you were right this is great.

Blood Flight and Black Morning are so awesome.

klap

RIYL ????

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

dude psyko what happened to the 4/5 :[

i bumped it down you wanna fight about it?
don't get me wrong this is great though

Lucid
September 26th 2011

Recommended if you like: Grouper, Trespassers William, Mount Eerie.

22 comments no pos votes. SO DICK

I negged.

September 26th 2011

i pos'd out of guilt. i dunno i found it a bit dull in parts but i'm gonna listen again

conradtao

2088 Comments

I enjoy the perverse nature of calling an album Viscera. And then you listen, and it's absolutely transcendent stuff.

September 26th 2011

Not yet Chambered im procrastinaTING.

plane
September 26th 2011

Nice little precursor to my monolith (coming soon)