Geezer Butler
Black Science

by Ian USER (107 Reviews)
December 12th, 2005 | 12 replies | 2,990 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Released in 1997, Black Science is Geezer Butlerís, bassist of Black Sabbath, second solo album out of three so far and is one of the most diverse rock albums that Iíve ever heard. With a mix of heavy, soft, and hilarious songs on this album it has become one of my top ten albums of all time. Co-Written by Geezer and Pedro Howse who is the guitar player, along with the vocals being done by Clark Brown this album to me is an absolute classic. The overall sound of the album is actually somewhat of progressive metal with a touch of techno at times. Even if youíre a diehard Black Sabbath fan you actually might not like this album.****

This album is without a doubt one of the most consistent albums that I have ever heard; no song sounds the same. This singing from Clark Brown definitely doesnít sound like Ozzy, but sounds like a mixture of the growlings of Phillip Anselmo and (somewhat ironically) Ronny James Dio. While holding on to these to voices, Clark also branches out to other examples of influences slightly, such as James LaBrie (but in a good way). Lyrically this album is superb. While Clark Brown is the singer, he didnít write the lyrics to the songs, but only helped out a little. Geezer and Pedro both wrote the lyrics. The lyrics appear to be well thought out, although can certainly be silly at times: e.g. Unspeakable Elvis-ďElvis is not dead, he survived, Elvis is not dead, he survived, Oh Elvis do you love me, oh evil Elvis Presley". Most likely the best performances from Clark is on the songs Box Of Six where the instruments and his growlings match perfectly to actually create a dense, yet at the same time, catchy song. Then another really great performance is Department S where Clark starts out by quickly yelling ďWe are the undertaker, the social breaker, make you swim or sink, bounce your brains make you think.". That continues for a while before he sings clearly, which adds somewhat of a sci-fi (seems to be a theme on the album actually) effect to it.

The bass is there, but isnít as technical that I thought it would be, no real standouts to mention Iíve got to say sadly. The guitar is pretty much all riff based power chords and there isnít much else to it, but both the bass and the guitar work very well together to create some interesting music along with the use of beat boxes, which is what adds the techno effect to some songs. Drums are done by Deen Castronovo and I must say that what he does, he does well. He compliments all the songs and helps to create the sci-fi atmosphere of the album.

Standout songs-**
-Box of Six- Pure hard rock
-Department S- Eerie, but heavy at the same time
-Xodiak- Great combination of instruments and vocals
-Trinity Road- Perfect vocals and a raging riff make this song a perfect closer to a perfect album.**

Overall, this one-hour album is just a classic to me. There are no weak songs and they all are distinct from each other. This album ranges from hard rockers to mellow, sci-fi like songs that all revolve around the genre of progressive metal. There is absolutely no repetitiveness on this album, which is just another check mark in the long line of plusses. Geezer, youíve made me proud, fantastic job. I award this solo album of yours a 5 out of 5. Absoeffinglutely a classic.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You

December 12th 2005

Hold on, let me put it into paragraphs.

Edit: There we go, another review shat out the pipe by Kripes

No one will comment I bet because no one will care about this album. This Message Edited On 12.12.05

DesolationRow
December 12th 2005

Paragraphs are your friend, Kripes. They will not hurt you, they are herbivores, and only LOOK mean. But deep down, they are gentle, helpful, and kind.

Good review, but it's hard to read, because of the paragraphs (or lack of). Geezer is a metal bass God, and he's got some crazy fingerstyle lines, but what's cool about him solo is that he isn't the center of the band, so it seems like it's not even his band. He's proud to be a bassist, not trying to wank as a frontman. Kudos to that.

Oopsy Daisy. Sowee. Good Timing.This Message Edited On 12.12.05

Zebra

Nice review.

I don't like Black Sabbath or metal, so I probably won't be getting this.

December 12th 2005

Entwistle, you read it before I fixed it and commented. Obviously I wouldn't put a review as one huge block on purpose.

[quote=Zebra]Nice review.

I don't like Black Sabbath or metal, so I probably won't be getting this.[/quote]

It isn't really metal, more prog. or prog. metal and this isn't like Sabbath at all. Although I guess if you wanted to check it out you couldn't it's incredibly hard to find.

Jawaharal

This review seems lacking :/

masada

Perfect album.

Funny.

December 12th 2005

Do you have the album Vague?

December 14th 2005

[quote=Cheeto-t]This review seems lacking[/quote]

Could you be more elaborate so I know what you think I did wrong please?

pulseczar
December 14th 2005

hmmm well I don't think you were very critical when you reviewied this album, though very opinionated in terms of it being a classic. You state a lot of things are great (and some things aren't) but you don't elaborate or make any of it sound interesting. Maybe it's just your writing style :-

robonguitar
February 14th 2008

I think this was a solid release, great album. An almost classic for me, just 2 songs didnt sit well for me - Xodiak & Northern Wisdom. All the rest though are great.

March 20th 2013