Lost Soul
Chaostream

by cagedescending USER (3 Reviews)
September 19th, 2011 | 14 replies | 2,991 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A soul-crushing wrecking ball of brutality.

Sadly underrated and overlooked, Poland's Lost Soul deliver here their heaviest and most cohesive material; an album so heavy it'll open a hellvoid underneath you and swallow you whole.

Chaostream possesses just the right amounts of technicality and brutality, without losing itself in the usual tech death wankery or succumbing to the sheer atonality of brutal death. Every instrument works in tandem to deliver a near seamless wall of sound. Perhaps the highlight are the drums, performed with stylish grandeur by Adam Sierga, who has sadly left the band since Chaostream was released. The album is absolutely riddled with blastbeats, yet they are always tastefully placed and executed, never really allowing for monotony to set in. Thunderous rolls rumble across the juggernaut riffage, punctuated by cymbal crashes like cracks of lightning.

Said riffs are tightly-controlled, monolithic slabs of noise impacting your face like a wrecking ball. Perfectly tuned and with thick, killer production, their intensity almost never lets up. There are even some balls-to-the-wall solos thrown into the mix in practically every song. Overall, the sound brings to mind a blend of Immolation, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Ulcerate, stirred in with a hefty dose of that patented Polish Death Metal sound (think Vader, Hate, Decapitated et al). At times, the tempo slows and the pace switches to a sludgy, almost doom-like crawl - most notably on standout track Christian Meat. It allows a welcome (if slight) change of scenery, and stops the album from becoming too monotonous. The lyrics (unsurprisingly) bear a heavy anti-religious theme, bellowed and occasionally shrieked with primal, bestial vigour by guitarist/vocalist Jacek Grecki.

It's hard for me to come up with downsides to this album. It can drag the first few listens. It's definitely not the most original or ground-breaking metal you're likely to have heard. In fact, it may come off as a little generic initially. But if you let Chaostream sink it's claws into your skin, you may just find yourself a new favourite.

Recommended Tracks:
-Christian Meat
-Shameful Race
-The Word Of Sin
-The Hidden Law
-The Birth Of Babalon

September 19th 2011

First review, how'd I do? Be savage.

A few minor corrections:

Chaosphere

Chaostream

who has sadly since left the band

who has sadly left the band since Chaostream was released.

Good review for a first, pos.

These guys are indeed underrated, yet so brutal.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

September 19th 2011

Ahaha damn, thanks. Must be my mind subconsciously trying to tell me to listen to more Meshuggah. Been meaning to do that...

I love Immerse In Infinity as well, even if I don't think it comes together as well as this does. Band in general just needs more exposure.

September 19th 2011

Your review is gonna take a while before showing up in the main page, since it's your first.

September 19th 2011

Because it's gotta be approved, yeah? How long does it usually take?

+edited to add recc tracks

September 19th 2011

tbh, i don't really know how long it's gonna take.

Usually the texts are being checked for plagiarism - among other things - and then they go up to the main page.

September 19th 2011

Roger, won't hold my breath then.

September 19th 2011

Christian Meat reminds me of Morbid Angel's Where the Slime Lives.

Awesome.

September 19th 2011

Oh shit, THAT'S who else these guys sound like. That was bugging me while I was writing this. I remember making a friend of mine listen to this album, and his first reaction was telling me how much he liked it because it sounded like MA.

Donchivo
September 20th 2011

Pos´d! first for writing a nice review and second for giving props to this nice little band. I really like their ubermensch album, still have to checlk this one out!

Digging: Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit

YUJOS
September 20th 2011

Αt last somebody reviewed this album. Very good review also!

MrGrind

Solid release.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

boleyn2
January 22nd 2014

this album reduced me to pulp, literally; pure, beautiful massacre