Punch
Nothing Lasts 7"

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
September 18th, 2011 | 30 replies

Review Summary: Punch continues to be Punch, courtesy of Deathwish

Punch - Nothing Lasts

Punch is a band that carries just that… one very mean and fast punch. Laughing at any notion of subtlety, this band with their fiery brand of thrashy hardcore is about as quiet and sedated as a F14 jet engine. The Bay Area band has been carving their mark on the scene for a while, releasing two full length albums of blistering fast aggression, coupled with a vocalist who sounds perpetually locked in her period (said in all love). And in an unsurprising move, Bannon-run label Deathwish has finally picked up on this blazing hot uppercut of a band, releasing their first material in conjuncture, the seven-track 7” Nothing Lasts. That being said, there’s little to no new ground tread in the short time Nothing Lasts burns through. Outside of a more introspective and nihilistic approach in the lyrical department, Punch continues to be the same old Punch that hardcore fanatics have continued to love. Going through a plethora of hardcore sub-genres, Nothing Lasts showcases elements of d-beat (“Done”, “The Chase”), thrash (“Do It Yourself”), and chaotic hardcore (“Planning Is Easy”), all of which have become standard fare for Punch. The atypical touch of raw production Deathwish brings to this 7” adds a little more depth into the sound of this band but the insanely short time this release possesses tends to negate any refreshing aspects brought to the release.

But at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself “Who cares?” While little new ground is picked up on Nothing Lasts it will still undoubtedly satiate the already established fans of the band while possibly picking up a few news ones on the way. Unwilling to drop the aggression in any way, shape, or form, Punch continues to dredge up unfathomable amounts of anger and channel it directly into their music. A solid punch right to the solar plexus, this 7” doesn’t so much as reinvent the wheel as it declares a new chapter for this band as they enter into the arms of Deathwish. Catch Punch at a local DIY venue near you and keep your eyes peeled for what this band will be up to in the future, for it still continues to be very bright.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead

Spec
September 18th 2011

Short and sweet. Good review as usual.

goddamnit.

sixthgoldenticket
September 18th 2011

great review, you should do one of the alpinist/masakari split

kount
September 18th 2011

cool more unfathomable amounts of anger

September 18th 2011

already did on the site I'm staffed at.

check it out

September 18th 2011

kount can name 15 demoes that are more angry than this entire bands discography. combined!

FrankRedHot
September 18th 2011

Good review, bro. Nothing Lasts is alright. The band is becoming a bit redundant now.

Ire

lol the new review

Kris.
September 18th 2011

theyve been pretty redundant since push pull imo

agreed with the redundant part. lol at people rating this higher than a 3.5

Rev
September 18th 2011

I love Punch, but they are becoming pretty stale as of late

well duh

kount

check this out! http://thenewreview.net/reviews/alpinistmasakari-split

craigy2
September 18th 2011

nice review as always, man. i've only listened to it once or twice but i think i prefer push/pull to their earlier stuff. so i'm incined to disagree with the 'redundancy' argument. also, i saw them a few weeks ago and it was really fun so that's a factor too.

rasputin
September 19th 2011

not really redundant at all what does that even mean

re·dun·dant Adjective /riˈdəndənt/: No longer needed or useful

basically yeah.

rasputin

re·dun·dant Adjective /riˈdəndənt/: No longer needed or useful

basically yeah.

I know what the word means. I was pointing out how retarded it is to use that word in this particular case. Derp.

September 19th 2011

oh ok. jus lookin out for ya bby ;]

accompliceofmydeath
September 19th 2011

This band did nothing for me on fist listen. I'll try again, I guess.

Digging: Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning

accompliceofmydeath
September 19th 2011

Apparently I can listen with my fists or I suck at typing.