Opeth
Heritage

good

by Adam Thomas STAFF
September 16th, 2011 | 2759 replies | 114,307 views

Review Summary: Opeth is as Opeth does.

The last time we saw Opeth, they were admittedly in a bit of a creative slump. Coming off of the high that was 2005's Ghost Reveries, their follow up, 2008's Watershed was more than lacking, it was a wee bit stagnant. That's not to say that it wasn't another quality addition to Opeth's canon, but after nine albums it was clear that Opeth is as Opeth does. So here we are three years later with album number ten, Heritage. If the name itself isn't glaringly telling, here Mikael Akerfeldt and company have created an album focused solely around the seventies' progressive rock influences that have made them one of the most instantly recognizable bands in the extreme metal landscape. There's only one problem though – after years of increasingly incorporating sounds of the likes of Camel and Caravan to round out their death metal stylings into something unique, now that they've pushed those former nuances into the forefront more and more since 2001's Blackwater Park, their attempt at going balls out prog doesn't differentiate itself from anything they've done in the past. In fact, even though vocalist and guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt no longer uses his deep bellowing roar throughout the entirety of Heritage, there is absolutely nothing that keeps it from being just another Opeth album. It's a shame too, because everyone in the band is at their best, providing more than impressive musical chops, but every song relies on the same characteristic twists and turns that we've heard from Opeth a hundred times over since their debut, 1995's Orchid. When listening to it just on a song by song basis Heritage can be a rather enjoyable experience as songs like “Slither” and “The Devil's Orchard” are absolutely delightful on their own, but as the album progresses it's hard to stop yourself from asking, “Haven't I heard this before?”

Basically it all boils down to one simple question: is there such thing as too much of a good thing? Heritage seems to prove yes. There is really nothing bad about what Opeth have presented us here, but after ten full lengths they're starting to develop a moderate case of Dream Theater syndrome, although obviously less self-indulgent.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two

Lucid

Digging: Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Athom
September 16th 2011

Not really. I'd been trying to come up with something for 4 days. I just decided to freewrite for ideas.

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

bbaked
September 16th 2011

u forgot to post half of ur review

mammoth sound off, rsfm
=]

Det_Nosnip
September 16th 2011

Fantastic album, even if it's not really metal at all. Although I love Opeth's heavy side and the songs feel a bit less dynamic with that removed, the fact that the band decided to basically put out a 70's prog/fusion album after being signed to roadrunner is wonderfully hilarious. Kudos to Mikael for clearly not giving a *!@$ what anyone, fans included, think. While some would consider that a bad thing, I don't.

Musicianship was definitely a highlight for the album...this is easily some of the most impressive stuff the band has done to date, and it's refreshing for a band to show talent in a way other than shredding at 240 bpm. I was especially impressed by Axe...the guy can play! Perhaps it took an album or two for him to get comfortable, or perhaps the constant touring, but he's evolved from a stiff death metal drummer with lots of chops but no groove to a damn solid player. Handled the fusiony sections much better than I would have expected.

Waior
September 16th 2011

I agree in a way or two. Definitely with the idea that this album isn't really anything different, the dynamic is still Opeth and the progressive elements were dominant before that it's not a huge shift to have them be 100% of the music.

I will say that Watershed is one of my favourites though. Perhaps my favourite.

September 16th 2011

Watershed is my favorite of their albums.

pcar

sounds like its 2deep4u

good review though

Athom
September 16th 2011

Dunno how Watershed could be anyone's favorite...

hotshotvegetarian
September 16th 2011

Agree with the rating, but I'm surprised your reasoning was that it was more of the same. I'm finding it a bit boring not because I've felt like I've heard it before, but because... it's just not very coherent. Most Opeth albums have some sort of drive or theme to the songwriting, this one just feels all over the place and haphazard.

12034 Comments

Dunno how Watershed could be anyone's favorite...

You're right. I never can get tired of Hessian Peel and Porcelain Heart from that one.

Maniac!

Watershed is my favorite of their albums. [2]

rules

MO
September 16th 2011

Huh odd review but its fair. Couldve been longer but like you said its tough writing about something you see as meh.

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST