Falling in Reverse
The Drug in Me Is You

by BlackLlama USER (40 Reviews)
September 13th, 2011 | 27 replies

Review Summary: The modern equivalent of hair metal. More looks and hooks than actual substance, yet still full of great songs to sing a long to.

Love it or hate it, Pop Metal started back in the 80’s and it’s now strutting around again with its tight jeans and neon colors. Back again are songs about sex, depravity and dare we say it, having a little bit of fun. Mind, if you’re looking for the next mind blowing metal opus, please, keep searching. If you’re looking for technical riffing and soul moving song lyrics, step aside. If you’re looking for songs that you find yourself singing the chorus to in the shower and praying that no one hears you then do I have an album for you!

I’m not going into the back story about Ronnie Radke (the lead singer and songwriter for Falling in Reverse). Though check it out, you actually may do yourself a favor by doing so as Ronnie has inserted a bunch of snarky lines through out this CD in regards to his old band (Escape the Fate). Yes, both bands sound very similar and yes I do enjoy aspects of them both. On to the music though.

This album gets a lot of heat for being exactly what it’s supposed to be, which I consider unfair. I equate this album quite a bit with the AOR/Glam bands that never really made it in the early 90’s. Great catchy songs, big hooks, and sing-a-long choruses made for stadiums and festivals. The Drug In Me Is You has all of these in spades. It’s kind of an odd start though, as Raised By Wolves doesn’t work for me as an opener, this song really should have been about the 3rd or 4th track in. Not stating its bad, as it’s one of the 4 of 5 really good songs on the CD, it just doesn’t fit as track number 1.

Track number 2 should have started this affair. It’s a fun story song that sounds like something that Butch Walker had a hand in. The album then flows quite well for a few songs until you hit Don’t Mess With Ouija BoardsThe last 5 tracks don’t have anywhere near the strength of the opening salvo and will definitely have you heading for the skip button after a few listens.

It’s one of those albums though, that I keep finding myself going back to. I find myself singing I’m Not a Vampire quite a bit (Whiskey seems to be my holy water. Mother’s better lock your doors and hide your daughters). It’s lyrics like that, which will fester in your brain for hours on end until you listen to it again. As stated, nothing mind blowing here, but I would put it on par with bands like Firehouse, Trixter and Warrant. Hey, at least they left out the power ballads!

On repeat:

Razor Malicious IntentSteel Panther All You Can Eat
We Are The In Crowd Weird KidsBiohazard Urban Discipline

BlackLlama
September 13th 2011

This is my first. I've already noticed some minor grammar corrections, but I appreciate any feedback.

Hurricanslash
September 13th 2011

This is your first? For a first, this is really good. Well, but you could have given a more explanation of how this album sounds like. But anyways, good work.

Since there was and is so much fuss about this album, I'm not really sure if I should check this out. Maybe I'll give this a shot.

fish.

21967 Comments

decent first review. pos'd

I'd say that using the first person doesn't really work but I've seen staff use it so I guess it depends on how well you can. some bits seem a bit clumsy but just look through other reviews to tweak your style.

Aids
September 13th 2011

this album is so goddamn bad. i kind of liked the review though.

RosaParks

On repeat:

Tragic Magic

facepalm

DeathByDaydream
September 13th 2011

...you recommended the worst songs on the album...

FrankRedHot
September 13th 2011

^Who in the hell is going to trust your opinion, though?

chesse13
September 13th 2011

the most irritating thing about this is probably the god damned album cover jesus christ

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

BlackLlama
September 14th 2011

What can I say, I have a thing for bad music with really good hooks.

Thanks for the feedback, next one I'll try to use something other than a first person perspective.

OneMoreRoland
September 14th 2011

This band and Escape the Fate are pure comedy to me. The vocalist is such a cunt

DarthMann
September 19th 2011

great BlackLlama.

DarthMann
September 19th 2011

Review is pretty nice but cut the bolding except on the summary tracks

Scribbler24
December 2nd 2011

I also think it was a great review, but i think that they are a great band unlike some of your guy's opinions

fish.
December 2nd 2011

21967 Comments

5 is ridiculous though

December 22nd 2011

was excepting more from this band
not gonna pos, you are recommending the worst song on the album, and skipping the better ones.

FourthReich
December 22nd 2011

awesome user name ^. still hate this album, it's weird, or is it?

December 22nd 2011

not saying it's bad, but when ronnie was in escape the fate the lyricism and screaming was better.
just listen to "the guillotine".

theacademy

not really

Digging: Chris Brown - X

theacademy
December 22nd 2011

pretty sure the producer wrote all the guitar parts for etf

true.
still, this album owns the new escape the fate album.