I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business
Gold Rush

by Nevin USER (56 Reviews)
September 10th, 2011 | 18 replies | 4,960 views

Review Summary: Enders can make a record like nobody's business.

Ace Enders’ moniker for his solo work, I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody’s Business, has never been more appropriate than on his newest release, Gold Rush. The record follows the expected and perfected pattern that Enders is known to utilize, with soft acoustic strums and upbeat drumming to lay the ground for his smart and personal lyrics, but now his words take on a slightly more sour and self-conscious tone. It is clear from the first verse of opening track ‘Gold Rush’ that he has come across a new stage in his life. He croons with a misleading sweetness, “after the gold rush, didn’t think I’d be alone/so alone,” and in just a few words, he gives the listener the smallest taste of what’s to come, setting the tone for the remainder of the album. His love for that clashing contrast between light and dark is the key factor in what makes Gold Rush such an affecting and interesting album, making it a fantastic addition to his already immense collection of memorable records.

The timid teetering on the divide between brooding and upbeat melancholy is perfected on track four, ‘Complications’, where Enders nearly let’s slip the mask concealing that boiling despondence. The subject matter in the song only accentuates this feeling as he’s “usually alright” as he “bites his tongue and tries to be nice.” Since his early days with The Early November, he’s been a self-aware writer that’s basked in the glory of irony, but he has never quite brought it up to this level of in-your-face gloom with the overshadowing cheer of the music. As the album progresses he crafts and molds this intriguing concept until the slowly evolving conclusion, ‘Train Stop’. His vocals, clean and intricate, remain consistently beautiful throughout the record, and have their final shine as the last track fades out; an emotional and appropriate end to an album that deserved a proper closing.

Although there aren’t the booming climaxes on this record that make his last records more traditional, Gold Rush explores a slightly new territory for Enders, and he fits it wonderfully. He’s as persistent as ever, and has easily become one of the most dependable artists for quality and memorable music. Whether he carries on his endeavors with I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody’s Business is unsure, but the prints he’s left with his three releases will not be quickly dismissed. Enders has always been a force to be reckoned with, and Gold Rush shows him at his finest.

Trophy Scars Never Born, Never DeadFaux Reality Faux Reality
Andrew Jackson Jihad Knife ManBomb the Music Industry! Vacation
Dan Andriano in the Emergency Room Hurricane SeasonLa Dispute/Koji Never Come Undone

September 10th 2011

I was going to write this back in may but then I didn't whoa crazy

September 10th 2011

HOLY SHIT!!! Not only did I not hear about this record, but I didn't even know he made one after the s/t like 8 years ago! So excited!

Great review, bud. Pos.

Much appreciated, Gyro.

And forever, you've gotta check this and the previous record out man, they're fantastic

September 10th 2011

Yeah no kidding, man. Their s/t is still one of my favorite records to this day. I thought it was just a one time thing.

September 10th 2011

You might wanna check out Ace Enders and a Million Different People too, i haven't heard much from it but it's enders so it's probably fucking ace

September 10th 2011

Yeah, now i have heard a bit from that. Hey, do you think I should listen The World We Know first, or do you think it doesn't matter?

September 10th 2011

Umm, I'd say go for World We Know first just for the sake of seeing the progression. They're not radically different but there's a definite change there

September 10th 2011

Cool, I'll do that. Good review and stuff too.

September 10th 2011

Thanks man, hoping some more people will get into it here

September 10th 2011

I'm surprised they haven't yet. He's pretty similar to Bright Eyes too.

Rev
September 10th 2011

I have such a mancrush on Ace, dude's such a boss, and is one of the nicest dudes ever

"The Best Happiness Money Can Buy" is one of my favorite songs

Pos

September 10th 2011

I've never had the chance to meet him or go to a show but god would I love to

September 10th 2011

I just listened to them both and I gotta say, The World We Know is much better than this album, but that's just after 1 listen.

September 10th 2011

I think they're on pretty equal standing, but this album's writing really hits me for some reason

Iamthe Nightstars
September 11th 2011

I love how Ace brings something different with every Mess album. I kind of want to hear something more along the lines of the self titled again though.

Digging: Few And Far Between - Three

September 11th 2011

I know man, it's subtle but he definitely changes it up

crowing51
February 9th 2012

He just realeased a 3 song ep called Share With Everyone. I did not know he made another album after the last one. Must download NOW!!

Digging: Polyphia - Muse