Primus
Green Naugahyde

by Parallels/sonicspeed500/sonic2/wes/leslie/Reverse Perpendicu USER (28 Reviews)
September 8th, 2011 | 112 replies | 25,720 views

Review Summary: Fans should expect nothing less from a group that consistently references beef, cheese and mud.

Has anyone noticed how hard it is to talk about Primus? The band has the unrivaled experience of touring with Rush, U2 and Anthrax, but a simple conversation about their music is difficult without an awkwardly brazen list of circus instrumentation, funk-metal or the word ‘quirk.’ I find myself barely scraping my coherent thought to mention the band's irreverent humor and creative landmarks such as ‘Sailing the Seas of Cheese’ and ‘Pork Soda.’ The very strangeness of forcing myself to write a full scale review on their return album has led me through an unending torture of deleting introductory paragraphs. Well screw it, because I can simply state that Green Naugahyde is a clusterf*ck of amusement.

How else can I simplify it? The sheer excitement of hearing Primus again is astounding, and attempting to finish your homework with ‘Extinction Burst’ in the background could lead to hair evaporation, testicular phenomena and the sudden urge to watch Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. My exposure to carnival beat of ‘Eternal Consumption Engine’ quickly escalated into an immoral decision to place the song (as well as the entire album) as the overhead music selection at my local work. Customers consequently looked around themselves in shock and awe to the magnificent sounds of Les Claypool and his mocking lyrics of the obsessive purchasing habits of America complete with the guttural ending “Everything’s made in China!” being repeated multiple times.

The new triple mix of Les, Larry and Jay leave plenty of Primus for their fans to absorb. Beneath the quirk they present the troubles of their heroin addicted friend with ‘Jilly’s On Smack,’ and Claypool’s childhood with ‘Lee Van Cleef,’ as well as the continuation of the Fisherman Chronicles on ‘Last Salmon Man’ (which bears an odd reminiscence of ‘Los Bastardos’). The dorky side of Primus is still present with ‘Eyes of The Squirrel’ and there is the complete bizarreness of ‘HOINFODAMAN’ and ‘Extinction Burst.’ While every song screams PRIMUS in your eardrums, Green Naughahyde attempts to distinguish itself from previous albums with focused songwriting rather than a flurried mix of random topics. The lead single ‘Tragedy's A' Comin'’ would be a good example of this, complete with an anthem to sing and slapping bass that makes my 93’ Ford sedan shake in fear. Although it's obviously incomparable to hits such as ‘My Name is Mud,’ the track is still what you would expect from Primus; a fun and bouncy playhouse of nonsensical exposure that bridges the 12 year gap from Antipop. Those looking to start exploring Primus would find Green Naugahyde to be more accessible than their previous records.

Now, have you ever heard the phrase that funk is something so bad that it's actually good? Well, place that comment into the context of “Damn, that is some funk if I ever smelled it” and what you will have in your hands is a cup of liquid Primus. While it's possible that a handful of fans will find the return of Primus similar to how Weezer fans treat every post-Pinkerton album, those expecting the same perfection as ‘DMV’ are only holding themselves back from a great album where Les Claypool lays down his fresh voice in 2011 as if straight out of the Brown Album. In interviews Green Naugahyde was essentially described as Frizzle Fry without the excess amount of extended jams, but it dosen't shy away from experimenting since returning drummer Jay Lane makes impressive work across every song for his first formal debut with Primus. However, those looking to critique Primus as equally as any other band will make note of the similarities in several of the songs and the simplicity between them. They wouldn't be too far from the truth. Although moments as “He liquefied my eye and sliced me up like pie” from the alien encounter of ‘Green Ranger’ are purely golden, it's hard to pinpoint a track that is remarkable, quirky and completely mind-blowing. Classics like ‘Jerry Was A Race Car Driver’ and it's drum-set emulation of engines and exhaust or the quotable euphoric words of ‘Electric Uncle Sam’ where Les Claypool draws the line ‘DON’T GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR FINGERS IN MY PIE, MESS WITH ME AND BOY YOU'RE SURELY GONNA DIE’ are true examples of the perfection Primus can accomplish. You could say Green Naugahyde plays it safe among the contemporary field of silly music, placing more effort into the flawless songwriting rather than the bombastic in-your-face old days of Primus. Unless of course this entire record is a joke, in which case Primus has exceeded beyond anyone's expectations for such an idiosyncratic group. I would give this a numeric rating other than great or excellent, but in all honesty, I can't imagine wasting my time any further to disparage this absurd album. Primus sucks.

Dream Theater AwakeHole Live Through This
Dream Theater OctavariumDream Theater A Dramatic Turn of Events
Queensryche EmpirePlacebo Black Market Music
PsychicChris (4.5)
Crispy on them fries please...

FrizzleFried (4.5)
Darkest album by PRIMUS...

YetAnotherBrick (4)
It grooves hard. It shreds hard. It's awesome. It's Primus....

Parallels
September 8th 2011

(Album was streamed via South Park's fan page on Facebook)

Asiatic667
September 8th 2011

I enjoy Primus, but I struggle to make it through complete albums. I've tried Seas Of Cheese, Frizzle Fry and Punch Bowl.

Great review, by the way.

greg84
September 8th 2011

Awesome review! And one of the best albums of the year. It's so cool I might even wanna raise my rating. Primus sucks!

PS I'm pretty sure Jilly's On Smack is about their drug-addicted friend.

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

nick0307
September 8th 2011

i havent enjoyed anything by them since pork soda, so i dont have very high expectations... but they are one of my all time favourite bands, so this is crucial for me

Ovrot

Album is pure gold.
Primus have grown up and the riffs rule.

BUT FUCK YOU I WAS GONNA REVIEW THIS YOU DICKFACE.
pos'd

NigelH
September 8th 2011

This is quite good. Never thought I would say this...but we have ourselves a truly "mature" Primus album.

telebyrd
September 8th 2011

Les's experience in his plethora of side-projects has resulted in Primus' most accessible album ever, which is light and fun. It 'aint Frizzle Fry, which is just fine by me.

crazyblinddude
September 8th 2011

Great review, man. Nice to see some more of your writing more recently. I'll be checking this out right now.

Meatplow

finally this gets review

this is great, yes

iFghtffyrdmns

gahhh these bro's

HenchmanOfSanta
September 8th 2011

You only like three out of six albums by one of your all time favorite bands?

Primus are my single favorite band of all time, so needless to say I've been excited for this. Listening when I get back from class.

Digging: Afflicted - Prodigal Sun

gokuchan68

omnipanzer
September 8th 2011

"he sheer excitement of hearing Primus again is astounding"

Agreed sir, POS

Digging: The Ettes - Shake the Dust

omnipanzer
September 8th 2011

"Ive never listened to Primus before but i just streamed this and i gotta say this band is awesome"

Holy shit do you have some good music to look forward to in your very near future.

Gmork89
September 8th 2011

Review is so awesome, I really need to hear this asap.

MisterTornado

HOW BOUT ONE'A DEM FOOT LONG SAMICHES - GOT SOME TASTY COLA ROUND HERE'A

MO
September 8th 2011

Listening now, awesome so far.

Urinetrouble

album is the shit

Gmork89
September 8th 2011

I just want to know if it's endlessly quotable.

WashboardSuds
September 8th 2011

great review, I wanna get this

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern