Arctic Monkeys
Suck It and See

by James Grant USER (14 Reviews)
September 6th, 2011 | 36 replies | 3,415 views

Review Summary: If you mixed all of Arctic Monkeys previous work together, the chances are you'd end up with this.

Never before has a band gripped me like the Arctic Monkeys has. 'Whatever People Say....' was music to my ears upon first listen and still remains one of my favourite albums to date. There is a certain charm about the Monkeys, which oozes originality and quirkiness; something which is a novelty in the music world of today. Experimentation is also something the Monkeys have grasped. The jump from 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' to 'Humbug' was huge in terms of its sound and opened the door to psychedelia and other similar genres. With the Monkeys' latest effort, they have mixed all of their previous work together to make something quite remarkable in places. Unfortunately, it can be bland and vacant in others.

The opener 'She's Thunderstorms' is definitely one of the highlights of the album. With Turner's voice in an unusual downbeat melodic tone and the guitars in an almost psychedelic tuning, the song grabs you and takes on a literal 'trip' through psychedelia and sadness. 'Black Treacle' and 'Brick By Brick' follow in a similar fashion, delivering musically, but not enough to become memorable. The next song 'The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala' truly is stunning and defines the Monkeys' new-found sound perfectly. The bass line of this song is incredibly catchy and leads perfectly into brilliantly sung 'shalalala' chorus, this one is sure to have fans smiling. Now we come to the fantastic 'Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair'. Upon first glance, the song's title seems quite unoriginal and even laughable, but it would be hugely ignorant to even consider it that. The main riff is crushing and unusually heavy for the Monkeys, however they pull it off effortlessly. The lyrics are brilliant and quirky as usual and the album, up until this point, is looking pretty astounding.

Carrying on the fantastic quality of the album thus far, we have 'Library Pictures', a personal favourite of mine. Up until this point, 'Suck It & See' has been quite a serious affair, but this song brings back early Monkeys nostalgia. With its fast and upbeat tempo riff and Turner's outlandish lyrics, the song feels like a throwback to 'Whatever People Say....', which is obviously going to have old fans (and new alike) head banging to their hearts content.

Unfortunately, towards the end of 'Suck It & See' things start to become trite and slightly bland. 'Love is a Laserquest', 'Reckless Serenade' and 'Piledriver Waltz' all seem like songs that should have been bonus tracks on 'Humbug'; they offer little and are a slight smear on what is overall a pretty brilliant album.

In conclusion, 'Suck It & See' is an album that offers a wide variety of songs for old/new fans alike to choose from. It also showcases the Monkeys maturity incredibly as virtually every song sounds different from one another and tells a different story. Apart from a few tracks, 'Suck it & See' is a hugely entertaining album that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of rock/psychedelic rock, so come on....get on your dancing shoes.

Final rating: 3.5/5

Every Time I Die From Parts UnknownNile Annihilation of the Wicked
Cult of Luna Somewhere Along the HighwaySlayer World Painted Blood
The Dillinger Escape Plan Ire WorksCancer Bats Dead Set On Living

September 6th 2011

Had to review this, I need to try and fit more reviews in to improve my writing wherever possible.

September 6th 2011

Obviously you're not a golfer

Digging: Dungen - Ta Det Lugnt

Asiatic667
September 6th 2011

everyone who sees this album in a shop and read its title will immediately think about getting sucked off

September 6th 2011

Haha, and I didn't obviously.

September 6th 2011

I should probably give these guys a try sometime. I'm only familiar with their singles.

Digging: The Ettes - Shake the Dust

Asiatic667
September 6th 2011

tell us how you'll try them

kanecooper
September 6th 2011

i mean so yeah, arctic monkeys are like okay and that

September 6th 2011

Their earlier stuff is easier to get into, this stuff is still awesomesauce like.

September 6th 2011

"tell us how you'll try them"

Typically first album to last unless I hit a wall. Other way I try a new band is to just go for their best and if I like it enough I'll go back to the first and then move forward. It just depends on the band really.

September 6th 2011

Their debut is the best, listen to it.

September 6th 2011

favorite worst nightmare isn't far behind though

September 6th 2011

Take off 'The Bad Thing' and 'D is for Dangerous' and its on par.

STOP SHOUTING!
September 6th 2011

what's all the lebowski business going on here?

September 6th 2011

Son, this what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!

September 6th 2011

No Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of

Wait in the car Donny.

September 6th 2011

Why do I have to sleep with Donnie? He stinks.

September 6th 2011

Smoky, this is no nam this is bowling, there are rules.

September 6th 2011

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!

Attis
September 6th 2011

probably a step up from Humbug but still really boring