Thrice
Major/Minor

by Adam Thomas STAFF
September 5th, 2011 | 1556 replies

Review Summary: Thrice continue to walk the tightrope of perfection

In a way it's only natural to want and expect some sort of sonic evolution in a new Thrice album, but if one looks at their output as a whole, the differences between each of their seven albums aren't the giant experimental steps that so often get mentioned when describing the middle of their discography. Instead it's more of a different approach and refinement of what came before. Vheissu had its roots in the slick production and dark mood of The Artist in the Ambulance, The Alchemy Indexes expounded on flushing out the possibilities opened up by Vheissu, and Beggars owed its soul to the second volume of the Alchemy Indexes. That same trend continues on Major/Minor. At its core, the sound is unmistakably Thrice. Major/Minor sees Thrice responding to aching minimalist undertones of Beggars, as musically it is very similar to its predecessor, but where Beggars was at its strongest at its most secluded moments, Major/Minor is an extroverted experience. They are no longer searching inward but projecting outward, like a light leading back from the darkness that ended Beggars.

Leading the charge is Dustin Kensrue. Since finding the beauty in the softer side of his voice during the recording of Vheissu, Thrice lost a little bit of the commanding presence that so defined their earlier work, but on Major/Minor he has rekindled a little bit of the power that came with his distinctive rasp which, in turn, makes for his most impassioned vocal performance since The Artist in the Ambulance. That doesn't mean that he's back bullying the microphone, though. He cleverly and precisely balances his two halves, with songs like the distraught and pleading “Words in the Water” making the best of his later era refinements. The rest of the band step up to the challenge as musically they breathe new life in the the heavy blues groove that was found on Beggars, not only thickening its sound but making it more vibrant by focusing just as much on melody as on atmosphere. One only needs to look at Major/Minor's stand out track “Anthology”, which combines all the playful guitar work of songs like “Of Dust and Nations” and “The Artist in the Ambulance” with the more straightforward approach of the later half of their career, creating a song that truly lives up to its name. Furthermore, “Anthology” encapsulates Major/Minor as a whole as there are moments all throughout it that harken back to the best of Thrice's past.

Major/Minor is just another testament to Thrice's ability to do no wrong. It's no surprise, really. They are continuing to evolve and mature, all the while still being true to what made so many fall in love with them in the first place. What more could we ask for?

At the Gates At War with RealityWeezer Everything Will Be Alright in the End
YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There

September 5th 2011

Cool review. Album rules hard.

NateT
September 5th 2011

good review, thoroughly enjoyed this album, but idk how much I'm going to end up listening to it because Elsie by the Horrible Crowes just came out too

YYYEAHHHH

iFghtffyrdmns
September 5th 2011

staff just killin it with the shorter reviews lately, i'm digging it

crazyblinddude
September 5th 2011

All this hype man. Still haven't given it a listen. Soon. Wasn't that fond of "Yellow Belly" when they released the single though.

AlexTM510
September 5th 2011

Adam I really have been enjoying your reviews as of late. Incredibly written and a good medium of a length to read.

All these vinyl leaks aren't doing it for me qualitywise so i'm waiting out a bit more, but i'm sure it'll rule.

scissorlocked
September 5th 2011

album seems enjoyable so far

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

September 5th 2011

I found someone here's description of the sound to be spot on. They said "it sounds like Vheissu meets Beggars."

Maize
September 5th 2011

well i guess i have to give this a listen now

Realm

2074 Comments

wasn't sure if this would rule

it rules

September 5th 2011

That is one great avatar Chan

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

September 5th 2011

Not sure about everyone else, but I read it. It's not really that long...

Maniac!

Nice avatar, Chan.

Deathcar
September 5th 2011

Agh, I refuse to listen to this till my pre-order comes through on the 20th, but damn is my patience thinning - all the tracks i've heard so far suggest this will probably be my AotY, top 5 at least.

pizzamachine

"Ranking: #1 for 2011"

Tyrael

20978 Comments

Nice review man

You're gonna review Celestial Linaege next, I hope?

Realm

2074 Comments

theyre no pig destroyer thats fershur

September 5th 2011

I might actually check this out

kingjulian
September 5th 2011

Nice and to the point. Can't wait to hear this.

Not gonna lie, tho, I would love one of Greer's insanely long marathon Thrice reviews.

toxin.
September 5th 2011

If the rest of the album is like "Anthology" and "Words in the Water" this will be the easiest 5/5 I've given so far. Awesome review, sir.