The Dear Hunter
Indigo

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
September 4th, 2011 | 30 replies

Review Summary: nothing’s as it seems or what you’d thought it’d be

There’s only one song on Indigo that The Dear Hunter have ever showed hints of writing. On Act III, The Dear Hunter penned a song called ‘The Thief’ that was pretty unlike anything they’d tried before and that’s saying a lot for a band made famous for their genre-bending. Guided by a fairly non-linear set of melodies and some impressive instrumentation, the song was one of the best and catchiest songs on the disc - it also happened to feature an extended groovy Radiohead-esque jam session that, led by a cute little kinetic bassline, lead the listener to a pair of faux-climaxes that saw trumpets, snaking guitar lines and Casey Crescenzo’s fantastic vocals collide in one big, satisfying bang. It was a song in its own world both on Act III and in the Dear Hunter’s repertoire. And to bring this all to relative relevance, I’ll let you know that it’s not until Indigo that a song similar to ‘The Thief’ is brought to attention on The Color Spectrum and it goes by the name of ‘Mandala’. Not only do the songs both have a similar groove and the same 5/4 timing, they both feature a non-linear composition that is simply an unpredictable tour-de-force of Crescenzo’s catchy vocal lines. There’s no definable choruses, verses or bridges - there are simply pure moments of genuine groove, brilliant vocal melodies, bouts of Mars Volta-esque ambience and moments like when Crescenzo sings “you saw what you wanted but the rest was terrible!” that are just awesome for no immediate reason. The strangest thing about ‘Mandala’, however, is that it’s made so incredible by its uniqueness within the band’s usually enormous comfort zone - but it’s the only song on Indigo that sounds remotely close to anything they’ve done before.

And it’s only really similar to one song in the band’s extensive history.

That’s because Indigo has songs like the appropriately named ‘Progress’, a song that thuds away in a subtle flurry of bassy synths and electronic atmosphere beneath Crescenzo’s bitcrushed vocal hook of ‘the only thing that brings me back is love’. It has songs like ‘What Time Taught Us’, an electronic percussion-heavy and impressively eerie song that sees one simple refrain of ‘nothing lasts for good or like you thought it would’ repeated for the better half of the entire song. Heck, Indigo has songs like ‘Therma’, a completely electronic instrumental song. Given its rather unfamiliar milieu, it’s no longer absurd to think of ‘Mandala’ as the most familiar song on Indigo. It’s a patch of earth on another planet, for heaven’s sakes. But that is part of what makes Indigo so special - while it’s easy to get lost in the glitchy swells of ‘Therma’ and the mesmerising hooks of ‘What Time Taught Us’, Indigo isn’t only captivating for its hypnotic overtones. Indigo is a reprieve from its less subtle cousins on The Color Spectrum; it truly is the most foreign slab of music to have been thrust into the band’s already eclectic catalogue. And while Black experimented with equally unpredictable and bizarre electronic whirring and clicking, Indigo pulls it off best - it’s not quite subtle in the slightest, but it’s enveloping and most certainly the most entrancing EP on the collection and, ultimately, in the band’s history.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences

Waior
September 4th 2011

this is the least creative i've been with this little project so far but nonsense!

this is good music we're talking about! might have become my favourite ep

Rev
September 4th 2011

how many do you have left to do man?

tiesthatbind

One of my favorite EP's

Waior
September 4th 2011

four, i think? i end up doing them only when i'm on in the wee hours of the night and that only happens to soften when i'm working early mornings

it's keeping me really entertained though, it helps me fall in love with a lot of these songs even more than i initially had

Irving
September 4th 2011

You is write good, Waior.

Tyrael

20899 Comments

Why the hell is this so good?

And why the hell are you not staff yet?

And why the fucking hell is there no active punishment in place for the non-believers?

Ahh, the mysteries of the world! Pos.

Omaha
September 4th 2011

I agree with Tyrael! You're a fantastic writer- I've especially loved reading your Colo Spectrum reviews. Keep up the great work.

Indigo has grown off me a little bit, unfortunately. For instance, the ending of What Time Taught Us feels like it drags on for too long, like it could have been more meaningful if it had been abbreviated, to an extent.

Also, something that I noticed- your last sentence, "it’s enveloping and most certainly the most entrancing EP on the collection and, ultimately, in the band’s history." reads a little awkwardly, because it implies that EP's are all they've ever released, you know? Perhaps it would be more effective if you wrote "it's enveloping and most certainly the most entrancing EP on the collection, and maybe the most impressive release in the band's history." I'm no pro, but something like that may be effective. ^_^

RosaParks

this is my favorite ep < 3

iFghtffyrdmns
September 4th 2011

wait sorry I'm not a big Dear Hunter fan so I'm a little confused here.... they released like 8 of these EP's all at once?

Omaha
September 4th 2011

iFghtffyrdmns- yeah, this was the Color Spectrum. There were 9 EP's released simultaneously :D

iFghtffyrdmns
September 4th 2011

holy shitttt that's kinda nuts.

how did you miss this??

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

NeutralThunder12
September 5th 2011

this collection is so damn consistent..................sure there's a song here and there that kinda
throws me off but overall.....consistently a 4. great shitttt

Attis
September 6th 2011

really dont see whats the big deal about this

Phideaux
September 6th 2011

Really awesome collection. Not my favorite ep, but they're all amazing.

Good review. I like that you're doing all of these.

joelco92
September 8th 2011

I enjoy this band from time to time..

Asiatic667
September 8th 2011

The cover art looks exactly like the new Smashing Pumpkins' EPs

brocoy
November 23rd 2011

Did anyone else notice the Rx Bandits reference with Mandala and Progress? That can't be unintentional...

eleventhsun
November 28th 2011

I'm all about Mandala. The keys remind me of Rush for some reason.

the666