Job for a Cowboy
Genesis

by SmartWentCody USER (3 Reviews)
August 29th, 2011 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: From Deathcore to Death Metal. Job For A Cowboy have produced an album that will rip your face off and stomp it into the dirt; here is your warning.

We all know Job For A Cowboy for being a pioneer of Deathcore, but it seems that little is said about their abandonment of the genre almost completely. Since their musical debut with the Doom EP, Job For A Cowboy have ripened to a mature Death Metal band. Their first full-length album Genesis is the first chapter in a book of change.

As a concept album, Genesis tackles prophecies of The Book of Genesis – which came with a fair share of controversy. Mostly referring to the VeriChip, a story is told about a population who lose freedoms and individuality through said chip, and put trust in the anti-Christ, which in turn – SPOILER ALERT! - leads to their demise. This album is about the story, yet the story is told through minimal lyrics. One thing Davy does that I dislike is that he writes a verse and a chorus, but he recycles the same verse two or three times in the song. It works out in the end, but it seems a tad lazy and lacks creativity.

If you're not ready for it, the opening track 'Bearing The Serpent's Lamb' will hit you hard; heavy, technical, and melodic. Being a song detailing the birthing of the anti-Christ, vocalist Jonny Davy uses typical Death Metal imagery to illustrate the event – but with class. It's not disgusting, but the details are not spared. The intensity of the music gives an idea of the franticness of the happenings. Through Davy's vocals, you can feel the woman writhing in pain as this child is “forcing and pushing outward for decampment of his mother's womb,” As she cries “Why would such a god allow such deep evil?!” This opening track really sets the plot of the album – beings that it is a concept album – and you will get to know this anti-Christ character and his intentions very well.

The main draw of this album is the melody and technicality; what it lacks in lyrics, it makes up for in instrumentals. The stand-out instrument are the drums. Elliott Sellers proved his place in the modern Metal scene by being one of the most solid, technical drummers out there. The drum tracks are fast, creative, and they compliment the other instruments well. The guitarists are constantly belting out melodic riffs throughout every song, yet it is not over-done. The melody on these songs are what draws you into it – they're catchy as Hell. There are two ambient songs on the album that act as bridges connecting the two songs in which they reside between. The silent breaks are a nice addition, as they keep you from turning off the album if you get overwhelmed by, or lose interest in the constant heaviness.

At one point, the story seems out of order. The second song 'Reduced To Mere Filth' describes the world being almost rid of religion, and mass suicide among the religious folk. In my opinion, this should be one of the last songs on the album, but oddly, it is second. After that, the album gets back into order. My personal favorite track on the album is 'Altered From Catechization' – the third track. The chorus is extremely hook-y and heavy. Sellers' double bass drumming sounds like a machine gun, and the guitarists' chugging triplets give it a very heavy feel; something you'll want to mosh to. Not to mention the great lyrics.

The story and vibe of the album continues as is until the second to last track – 'The Divine Falsehood'. This is the slowest tempo song on the album, and arguably one of the heaviest. This is the climax. The song details the rising of the devil, and his judgment passed upon the humans; which sets up the stage for the last song – 'Coalescing Prophecy”. A song about the fate of the mortals as the new world leader takes his throne. When all is said and done, the album ends on a mighty, “Future existent worlds coalesce into one!”

The melodies and brutality of this album will keep you coming back for more and more. Sadly, there are only 10 tracks – only 8 if you count the actual musical tracks. It's not long enough! Anyone willing to give this record a listen will enjoy, or at least respect it the effort put into it. Genesis kicks ass.

2.8
good
Subrick (4.5)
Job for a Cowboy's first full length album is a rather good album of modern death metal. Despite it'...

Aaron (3)
Not bad, not bad......

Nate B. (2.5)
On their full-length debut, Job for a Cowboy brings us a somewhat technical, somewhat brutal album t...

Michael Roberts (3.5)
While still being heavy and brutal, Genesis shows both progression and maturity as it is a consisten...

Pebster49
August 29th 2011

Good review, while I don't agree it deserves a 4.5, I do think this is a very good album underrated album. Their best in my opinion.

Curse.

lol ok

Digging: Beach Slang - Cheap Thrills On A Dead End Street

MO
August 29th 2011

Nice review, I agree that this album is pretty underrated. I find it a good heavy listen.

rasputin
August 29th 2011

this is a boring death metal album

the only song that has any staying power is the divine falsehood

their mechanical hand demo has their best material

YouGotLucky

ONLINE STORE :
====( http://popbuynow.com/ )=====

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

====( http://popbuynow.com/ )=====

Wtf is this shit?

I thought this site was mostly spam free.

MO

agree with The Divine Falsehood, awesome track

fromtheinside
August 29th 2011

Just a terrible band. Review was fine though awkward in certain parts

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

iFghtffyrdmns

free shipping omg?

Carnifex

1918 Comments

This album is so ehhh, only the singles are memorable imo.

zaruyache
August 29th 2011

Decent review, boring album.

Digging: Ardour Loom - Demo

Iamthe Nightstars

this is a boring death metal album [3]

SmartWentCody
August 29th 2011

Thank you all for your input. :D
We can agree to disagree haha.

jayfatha
August 29th 2011

SmartWentCody I think I know you from youtube or something...but anyway nice review and the album is pretty good I guess. Pos'd

ShadowRemains

SmartWentCody

@fromtheinside, love your DP, Sarah Chalke is the best! Scrubs

ZombicidalMan
August 30th 2011

Never gave anything outside of Doom a listen... seeing them live turned me off, too. No lead guitarist = pretty boring.

Carnifex
August 30th 2011

1918 Comments

^Ruination and Gloom rule, this is just really standard dm.