WU LYF
Go Tell Fire to the Mountain

by casnewyddsold USER (2 Reviews)
August 21st, 2011 | 16 replies

Review Summary: Over a cascade of PR ambiguity and lavish hype leaps a romantic intensity not heard in years of alternative music.

WU LYF at the outset appeared to be an enigma of mysterious origin. A single ‘band’ photo was released, where they appeared as a hipster, anarchist cult, gathered by a fire in a car park, ready for some rolling skirmishes with riot police. ‘Go Tell Fire to the Mountain’ is the first genuine opportunity to assess the band from an objective, musical perspective, and it exceeds the hype, laying down ten tracks which threaten to turn the current ‘scene’ on its head.

The most surprising element of Go Tell Fire To The Mountain though, is the unison. On previous versions of tracks featured on the record the stretched-out guitars offered the impression that our society was cascading apart; the snarling, spiteful renditions brought a cool terror upon the sound, none of which features on the LP. As the record sounds out with ‘Heavy Pop’, we hear a sparkle of piano before mezzo-forte chords ring, and a clean and vibrant guitar chimes. The lyrics, “but you know the freedom that my brother saw / it deep down / it in your heart,” come as a desperate cry. Go Tell Fire To The Mountain is a romantic outburst from a disillusioned and dejected group hoping to stand in the crowd but ultimately standing out.

Songs “We Bros” and “Heavy Pop” are continent-wide and rousing by default and perhaps the albums standout moment, the larynx straining "Spitting Blood" provides us with the most brutally brilliant intro heard in years. The inevitable result of the well-tested combination of tribal drumming and shivering, slowly ascending guitar lines. There is poetry to the assumed disparity of the album, and it is nothing short of miraculous that the term 'epic' hasn't been used yet. It would be very easy to be cynical of Go Tell Fire To The Mountain, but the wealth of material and confidence in the album cannot fail to convert the doubters to the cult of WU LYF.

A triumph.

Ali CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
A truly special debut album....

Adam Downer STAFF (4.5)
"Now we are so happy, so happy to say/ Awh lawh tha keeshaw la woo laak thisay"...

Eko
August 21st 2011

excellent, excellent first, for an excellent, excellent album.

Hawks
August 21st 2011

Nice review. This rules so hard.

Hawks
August 22nd 2011

Do it. I've been obsessed with Gorguts for the past few days.

Irving
August 22nd 2011

K. The review shows much promise and is especially solid for a first, BUT there's lots of disjointed and unfulfilled ideas going on here. Opening sentence about the band photo has much going for it, but before we know it you've diverged into something about identifying the band's sound. Also, you only discuss like, two songs from the whole album...hardly enough for the reader to discern much information on how it sounds, right?

I'll pos since this is great work for a first review, but there's really quite a lot to be worked on still. Cheers.

Irving

WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?

Aids

hahahahaha what the ass

album is guuud, grew off me from a 4.5 though, still a solid 4

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

Electric City
August 22nd 2011

beautiful album to this day

iFghtffyrdmns
August 22nd 2011

still have yet to hear this, despite the mega hype train for it.
proooocrassssstinaaatioonnnnn waaahhhhh

qwe3
August 22nd 2011

this record is so fucking beautiful god

wyankeif1337

i need this.

Deviant.
August 22nd 2011

Lmao look at the reviewers profile pic

Holy fuck

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

wyankeif1337

WWHHHOOOOAAAAAAA

iFghtffyrdmns

hahahahaha omg that picture

casnewyddsold
August 22nd 2011

Thanks for the feedback Irving!!! Will improve for my next review!

Titan50