Isis
The Red Sea

by Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration USER (56 Reviews)
August 20th, 2011 | 47 replies | 8,466 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Yes, Isis material made before 2002 is, in fact, worth listening to.

There's a reason that the early incarnation of Isis often earned the slightly mocking tag of "Neurisis." Before this widely known American group began incorporating prominent post-rock themes into their music beginning with 2002's Oceanic, they played a much harder-hitting style of sludge that was eerily reminiscent of Neurosis' trademark sound. The Red Sea, an EP originally released in 1999, was the second in this string of Isis' heavier and ballsier records that began with their debut, The Mosquito Control EP, and ended with Celestial, their first full-length. True to the "Neurisis" sound, its 36-minute runtime is packed with dark and sludgy riffs, grating vocals, and scattered tribal elements. Frontman Aaron Turner has described The Red Sea as "one of the darkest things [Isis] ever recorded," and it truly lives up to this description. While it may not be as dark and crushing as albums like Neurosis' masterwork Through Silver In Blood, it is a far cry from the works of the post-Celestial Isis. Over the EP's entire duration, the only remotely ambient sections are found in brief bursts during the title track and during closer Lines Across Eyes. Everything else is drowned out in waves of dark, heavy, and crushing sludge. From the dissonance of the EP's title track, which may very well be one of the best songs of Isis' early career, to the unrelenting hardcore vibes of Catalyst, The Red Sea is not for the weak of heart. Looking for where Amenra drew their sound from? Look no further, for the menacing and harsh atmosphere of this EP is not one whose influence would go unnoticed for the legions of imitators that would follow. It might not be as well-developed as Celestial or as powerful as Panopticon, but the visceral bleakness of The Red Sea makes it just as integral a part of Isis' discography as anything else. This is a call to those who only pay attention to the post-2002 Isis: You all are missing out. Man up, grow a pair, and jam to the dark, early days of the band that would go on to create all of your favorite meandering post-metal buildups and climaxes.

Zodiak SermonsAlda :Tahoma:
VESSL GoddessHungry For Hands I Was Hungry For Hands
Job for a Cowboy GloomJesu Ascension

August 20th 2011

short review for a (relatively) short album.

for those who didn't know, the first 3 tracks were recorded just for the EP and the last 4 were actually taken off the demo tape that they sent around to labels when they were trying to get signed. thee's definitely a difference in production between the EP's two halved, but the actual sound and mood is very similar.

August 20th 2011

Neurisis. lol hadn't heard that one before.

Neurisis of Luna
August 20th 2011

haven't heard that one either

fromtheinside

Qwe approves

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

August 20th 2011

russian mouth of the cult of neurisis

TheArkitecht
August 20th 2011

Hmm sounds interesting, I have everything past Celestial so I might start checking out their older stuff. I've never listened to Neurosis either so the comparison is lost on me.

August 20th 2011

before you even think about getting any more Isis get Through Silver In Blood.

August 20th 2011

"russian mouth of the cult of neurisis"

your 6,666 comment. props. lol

damn, i missed it.

August 20th 2011

Haha, I lieked dis reviw. posssd

August 21st 2011

Yes, Isis material made before 2002 is, in fact, worth listening to.

Da fuck?

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Irving
August 21st 2011

Solid review. Sometimes there's nothing I like more than a short and sweet review that's quick, effective, and to the point. Pos.

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

ZombicidalMan
August 21st 2011

"I don't get this, most people prefer this to their newer stuff, needs changing. Good review otherwise."

I think that's a stretch... if you mean newer material like WR, it's possible. If you mean Panopticon, I think very few people would take this over it.

Good review, though SGNL 05 destroys this in my opinion.

August 21st 2011

"I don't get this, most people prefer this to their newer stuff"

If by most people you mean qwe, then yeah

August 21st 2011

Nah, just do some more searching over the internet and you will find a more disciplined old-school fan base, not the rapid fanboys who think Panopticon is the be all, end all of Isis.

someguest
August 21st 2011

yeah do some research this is important

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

AngelofDeath
August 21st 2011

Well, their older stuff is better, so yeah.

August 21st 2011

Hahahaha whatever, I hate this band so much. But seriously, the pinnacle of their career is In the Absence of Truth, nothing much touches that album.

Neurisis of Luna