Fates Warning
FWX

good

by Parallels/sonicspeed500/sonic2/wes/leslie/Reverse Perpendicu USER (28 Reviews)
August 17th, 2011 | 11 replies | 3,755 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It may not be their most progressive endeavor, but that doesn't mean it isn't thoroughly entertaining.

It's a wonder that Fates Warning's pulse is this strong at this point in their career. The band seems incapable of making a bad record with Jim Matheos as the lead songwriter, and after a four year hiatus they still managed to throw a great deal of power into FWX. In fact, it gets a bad rap because it is less progressive than it's bombastic predecessor Disconnected. For this reason FWX is a new evolution into Fates Warning's constantly evolving sound, and comparisons to any contemporaries here are completely unwarranted.

Unfortunately it also signals the end of drummer Mark Zonder's landmark work with the band. Those that thrived off his agile work will have little to find here, with the emphasis now on Ray Alder's matured voice. Matheos' compositions are still the gloomy and emotionally devastating masterpieces as before, but incorporating a production that usually accompanies the post-grunge genre.

"Heal Me" and "Left Here" are melodically beautiful, unfolding into lethargic epics that can appear disgusted and rushed, and "River Wide Ocean Deep" is an experimental journey for Ray Alder's building vocals that dosen't always capture the listener as it should. Often the most confusing aspect of FWX is that it's bulky aura seems to swipe their progressive energy off the table. To correct that, go to "Simple Human" and "Stranger with A Strange Face," where FW bursts from the seams with an energetic pulse and with some of Ray Alder's more memorable vox.

As the last song on the album, "Wish" is the reason that FWX was formed and should not be missed. It pulls the listener through a dark abyss of melancholia and to a climax that could even foreshadow the power of Fates future releases.

Dream Theater AwakeHole Live Through This
Dream Theater OctavariumDream Theater A Dramatic Turn of Events
Primus Green NaugahydeQueensryche Empire
Trey Spencer STAFF (3.5)
Fates Warning continue to change with every album, this time streamlining their sound and increasing...

Gortholomew Sombodom (2)
So what do you get when you take Dream Theater, strip it of all technicality (what's good about DT),...

Parallels
August 17th 2011

Okay, I've had a headache all day bye

Jethro42
August 17th 2011

Aaah, Another Perfect Day is on this one. A perfect song! I've never heard the rest, will correct it.

HorrorBusiness78
August 17th 2011

I never could get into this one, and I've tried. The riffs seem bland and uninteresting to me, and it there's virtually no lead guitar melodies or solos. Not what I expect from Fates Warning.

tiesthatbind
August 17th 2011

Nice work on completing the discography. I've been enjoying getting into these guys.

Parallels

thanks bros

@horror: its understandable.

tiesthatbind
August 18th 2011

I couldn't get into the Arch era at all. I'm enjoying most of the Alder era though.

iFghtffyrdmns
August 18th 2011

just a nitpicky formatting suggestion, with the big quotes, I like to center and italicize them:
{center}{i}QUOTE{/i}{/center} (except of course with square brackets)

Might have wrapped up the conclusion a little quickly, but a good review nonetheless. And congrats on finishing this discography man!! shit that's impressive, I'm stoked about the fact that I've reviewed two of six of The Features' releases and that's about as far into a discography as I've gotten haha

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I haven't listened to this in quite a while, so i don't remember it, but i remember it to be very different from the previous FW albums.

Perhaps the greatest letdown of FWX is that it fails to become anything greater than their past albums

I agree, but it depends on how much one will dwell in it, as the album is a bit of a grower.

River Wide Ocean Deep is a terrific song.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

Wizard

19304 Comments

Whole album is interesting, haven't listened to it in a while unfortunately. Great review!

Digging: Downer - Downer

Textures
August 18th 2011

this sounds heavy! i will check it out as im trying to get into more manly music

KILL5