Animal Skins
B EP

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
August 10th, 2011 | 11 replies | 3,711 views

Review Summary: I think the most shocking aspect of this release is the name Animal Skins still being available in the year 2010.

Of course, I’m not paid to think, however, I am paid for other things and when a release like B EP rolls around I desperately wish I was paid simply to listen. There’s something so rewarding when you discover something like this. I mean I’m not even going to try and claim I’d prefer the feeling to a satisfying paycheck (psshh), but it makes me wish there was no money in the world and we could live off self-gratification - or something thereof. I mean just look at that album cover which alone could feed at least three third world countries in my now ever expanding utopia. Animal Skins are here to pick up where Botch left off ten years ago. Literally. But it’s welcomed. An ill advised passing over the comparison would lead to a great blunder because this band means business – as if the beard didn’t signify this enough; with this release we’ve been given the emotional extended play of the year.

Chugs abound – gasp – along with 7 minute hardcore songs and they’re from Boise, ID, I mean really, what could go wrong? Nothing; almost. The band gets several things right within the first four minutes of the release. Dissonance, lovely as ever, gnarly vocals that scrape the bottom of a tolerable barrel, and production value just shitty enough that it’s all melded with perfection. In fact the production is on that weird trip where the shitier it sounds the better it will be, and, I think I finally understand it. There are points in the release where the vocalist is simply inaudible, but the confusion in sound elevates the bands heaviness and progression in tracks. For instance halfway through “Dead Sunn” the band spend time listening to tattered vocals battle aggravated guitar noodling, and shit does it work, building to the EP’s most chaotic ending in fine, fine form.

They owe a lot to Botch as their fingerprints are littered all across Animal Skins and this release; unorthodox breakdowns that lead to absolutely bat-fucking nowhere, repeated stanzas for minutes on end that would drive any untrained listener on edge, and by God, that minimalist attempt at sounding clean, all have their fair share of glory but these starlit moments are what make the album. When “We, Papremache” kicks in with that circling dissonant riff backed by death metal-esque vocals you know you’ve reached an evolution point with metalcore and thank God. In fact it’s one of those moments you’ll have when you’re like, ‘oh this is going to be big in twelve years’; see, that’s the kind of feeling I live for.

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
Nero Di Marte Nero Di MartePolygons Rifts

luuuuuuuuuuuuuv this album.

drunk review. converse. also this shit kills

stream: http://animalskins.bandcamp.com/

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

pizzamachine
August 10th 2011

Drunk reviews are fun to read haha, good way to end my night.

August 10th 2011

pizza, i'm talking top hXc album of the year here mayne

pizzamachine
August 10th 2011

Oh shi... will check out in the morning.

ZombicidalMan
August 10th 2011

I'll have to check this out as well...

chaseee
August 10th 2011

"In fact the production is on that weird trip where the shitier it sounds the better it will be" I love this. Gotta check this out.

RCKilm

yeahhh fti reviewww

checkin when i get the chance.

August 10th 2011

oh shit this is so good. totally forgot about this

wolfcircuitry
August 12th 2011

I play guitar in this band. Not sure how you found this, but thanks for the rad review! We are all super stoked on it

August 19th 2011

Bandcamp is wonderful

ADemonicSloth
November 25th 2011

I believe this band just called it quits.
47 mins ago on their facebook -

"So it seems that the boys in animal skins have decided to go separate ways and no longer make music together. Some lost interest, others the motivation. Thank you to anyone who ever came to a show, bought a cd, tee shirt, got us drunk or let us sleep on your floor. We really appreciated your support. Keep eyes and ears open for new projects. -AS"

Shame, I like the E.P's.