Trivium
In Waves

by P.J. Quinones USER (35 Reviews)
August 9th, 2011 | 18 replies | 5,261 views

Review Summary: Trivium seems to finally break out of their old mold, and into their own unique spot in the mainstream.

Trivium has been a band forever held in the shadow of the never ending comparisons to Metallica. While some called them the NEW Metallica, holding no ill will, older rockers dub them a Metallica rip off that will never live up to what they attempt. They can’t be a better Metallica, we’ve known this for 8 years now. But they have become a great presence in the metal world as Trivium, with album number 5; In Waves.

This album is blatantly less complex instrumentally, while still very effectively mixing the styles from their more favorable albums (Ascendancy & Shogun). Another very notable difference is the drastic improvement in clean vocals by Matt Heafy, utilizing more smooth clean vocals and better flow in coarse singing. The screaming has improved as well, using more ranges bellowing lows and improved clarity.

The guitar performance is where the mainstream took it’s biggest effect, using more generic melodies, and simpler choruses. For Trivium, it’s nothing but good due to the fact that the previous releases were heavily reliant on showing the band’s instrumental prowess. In interviews Trivium discussed this precise subject and how they’d be focusing more on the matter of the song, and not the instruments included. The bass performance was average by Paolo’s standards, which is above average at the least. Since Shogun, Trivium has switched drummers for Nick Augusto (formerly of speed metal band, Maruta). His job on the album was remarkable, considering the expectations after the release of Shattering the Skies Above in February of 2010. The fills are unique, his transitions are crisp, and he doesn’t overdo drum parts nearly at all.

In full, the album stays interesting, with a healthy mix of light tracks, heavy tracks, & ones that find their way in between. They’re so unique and different that a fan might say In Waves is a lighter turn for Trivium and a heavier one all the same. It calms and surprises the listener with interesting melodies and suitable clean vocals, and enhances them with epic breakdowns and commanding screams. In Waves came out immediately with an original copy and a deluxe, with the deluxe including 5 (essentially 2 full new) bonus tracks. In the deluxe edition, there are 3 all instrumental tracks, all timing less than 2 minutes. Most bands don’t do a good job of keeping these interesting, but each of them finds its unique place in the album and they are interesting at the least.

Lyrically, Trivium gave no details on specifically what the album is about. Speaking of their wishes for the fan to depict the album art, music, lyrics, and feel all individually to have their own definition and thoughts on the album. But it a literal sense, the lyrics were simplified. They dropped the stories of mythical creatures told in Greek & Japanese tales of war & gods, and also abandoned the tragedies spoken of in The Crusade. Not even the essential theme of Ascendancy or Ember to Inferno. It really IS another new thing for Trivium, and leaves you to wonder, as it was the purpose.

Overall, Trivium does themselves well by relinquishing complete individuality for a powerful mix that will be sure to make them more noticed to all kinds of metal fans. By improving the vocals and not overpowering nor lacking intensity where due, and mediating the instrumental performance on all cylinders, Trivium puts out an album worth not only the time of their fans, but worth a listen by a wider amount of metal fans from many spectrums.

Clean Vocals (Matt Heafy): 9/10
Screamed Vocals (Matt Heafy): 9/10
Guitars (Matt Heafy & Corey Beaulieu): 9/10
Bass (Paolo Gregoletto): 8/10
Drums (Nick Augusto): 8.5/10

Recommended Tracks: In Waves, Dusk Dismantled, Watch the World Burn, Black, Caustic Are The Ties That Bind, Forsake Not The Dream, A Grey So Dark, & Of All These Yesterdays

The Word Alive RealBlessthefall Hollow Bodies
Asking Alexandria From Death to DestinyPhinehas The Last Word Is Yours To Speak
Attila About That LifeEscape the Fate Ungrateful
3.2
good

August 9th 2011

Reading that, "This album has a blatant influence of more poppy/mainstream metal", makes me not want to listen to this.

August 9th 2011

I should change that...it's worth a listen but compared to other Trivium albums, the clean vocals sound FAR more focused and the instrumental work on IW isn't all about "lets show them how good we are at what we do" as opposed to Shogun & The Crusade in particular.

Digging: GWAR - War Party

August 9th 2011

Despite that comment I'm still going to check this out. Heard pretty good things thus far, might be worth some Ipod space.

August 9th 2011

I changed it, and if you like past Trivium you'll like this. It's fact that Matt Heafy really did work
on his clean singing. It shows.

August 9th 2011

Sorry for that double post.

August 9th 2011

No biggie. Post again once you've listened through. Pay attention to my recommended tracks.

August 9th 2011

I'll shoot you a profile comment, pos'd.

Thanks!

FearThyEvil
August 9th 2011

Why is this album getting such positive reviews? Thank God for Spirit at this point.

August 9th 2011

Probably because Trivium changed their style which more or less appeals to a bigger part of the metal fandom.

NocteDominum
August 10th 2011

Still, really does nothing for the hate that circles the band. This album isn't about to change minds.

August 10th 2011

The hate won't go away, it's a fact. But they'll be able to get more fans with this release than that of their previous releases. It's a different style mixed with their preceding styles which I feel is VERY well done.

NocteDominum
August 10th 2011

Don't get me wrong i like the album, but i can definitely see where this level of indifference or even hate comes from. The only niche's that In Waves could attract comes from the mainstream genres and sub-genres.

August 10th 2011

I agree. I've heard a huge share of the hate, being a fan since ETI. But the difference in sound will do them well in getting those mainstream fans.

ShovelThrash
August 11th 2011

Nice review - good job! :-)

August 11th 2011

Thanks a ton!

JokineAugustus
January 13th 2012

Very well written review. Pretty good album, not quite as amazing as Shogun and Ascendancy were to me.

Digging: Pensive/Seasons in The Field - Pensive/Seasons in The Field