Your Skull My Closet
We Find One Another

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
August 7th, 2011 | 10 replies

Review Summary: one cop was enough.

It’s probably not the most appropriate name in regards to their music, but one can definitely agree that Your Skull My Closet is an attention grabbing name for a band that is, for all intents and purposes, a radio rock band. Forming in New York several years ago, YSMC take the generally inauthentic and distasteful 90s popular rock style and breathe life into it, through a combination of solid, hook-laden songwriting and a subtle awareness of the popular indie-rock styles of today.

We Find One Another is YSMC’s third EP, continuing on with what they brand as a ‘cantankerous, circuitous tour through anglo-rock’s recent history’. The EP’s seven tracks meld together remarkably, despite subtle differences in motivation – while a lot of the lyrical and thematic nature of the EP is tongue-in-cheek, YSMC is not afraid to show a softer side, one which throws out Brand New-esque sensitivity amongst the sexualised grit that cements the EP together.

One important factor which keeps drawing me back to this CD is a particular ‘thrust’ that it has – while the band excels in an otherwise standard formula of intricate guitar lines hovering over a driving rhythm section, this EP in particular manages to really initiate an interaction with the listener, so much so that one begins questioning why he can’t stop listening to what is supposed to be a highly shallow form of music. As much as the band tote the sexual elements of hair metal and glam rock to be a foundation for YSMC’s style, the resultant fusion of catchy songs and pop glaze bring this EP together in all the right ways.

Eschewing track specifics, this record is a neat and tidy piece of rock music – it caters for a specific audience, but its charms will undeniably create another.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

August 7th 2011

if you're interested, check out their site

Metalstyles
August 7th 2011

Never would have thought that you'd review something like this haha.

August 7th 2011

they were nice guys, sent me copies of the EP and to be honest, i've played it at least 30-40 times

also i listen to a lot of alternative rock, so yeah

Metalstyles

also i listen to a lot of alternative rock, so yeah
Something I didn't have much knowledge about, so that explains it.

August 8th 2011

;) .

...bump?

someguest
August 9th 2011

It doesn't sound like the album is for me, but I think shorter reviews like this one are much more effective than some of the books people write here.

Digging: Pet Shop Boys - Please

Relinquished
August 9th 2011

will check this out for when I'm in the mood for this type of music

FromDaHood

Band names get worse daily

August 9th 2011

thanks. yeah, i no longer read any review that begins with a life story, so it's only logical that i don't write that way. judging from what i know you like (or at least what i think i know), you'd probably dig this, but then again it's no big deal.

Band names get worse daily

it's not a bad name at all