Get Scared
Best Kind of Mess

good

by P.J. Quinones USER (35 Reviews)
August 6th, 2011 | 13 replies

Review Summary: BKOM doesn't Fail, but you'd be Wrong to Parade over it.

Get Scared is a band who achieved considerable popularity even before the debut release of BKOM, and they open eyes a little bit with it. Do not be mistaken, because while these tunes are catchy, nothing about it is unheard of. Nicholas Matthews is a talented vocalist however, similar to that of Craig Owens & Bert McCracken. But then again, not much about this album sounds apart from anything that The Used or D.R.U.G.S. has already done.

In the two EPs, Cheap Tricks & Theatrics and Get Scared, they sound very post-hardcore; singing & screaming distributed in each song, catchy riffs, and generic melodies. In BKOM, however, the screaming is more rare. It gives Nick M more room to show his natural singing talent and makes the screams less forced. The guitars sound very punky and tasteful more often than not. The drummer is nothing more than the average joe, but does not make the album suffer. The bass is mostly drowned and just prances along with the rhythm guitar.

The song structure is generally similar throughout the album, poppy choruses, the occasional sample, and generic verses. No song lacks, however, which is never bad. If I gave you 20 Get Scared fans and asked them to pick their favorite song from BKOM, you'd more than likely cover the entire album. Songs that stand out to any critic would be the two songs pulled over from the Get Scared EP, Voodoo & Sarcasm (ft. Craig Mabbitt), Hurt, Whore, & Fail. The ENTIRE album, is the perfect imagery of a teenager's ups and downs through his hormones, but 4 of the 5 sound nearly the same. My personal favorites include Hurt, Wrong, Moving, & Hate.

This album is a relief in the realm of music today where more often than not every verse is a breakdown-laden scream-fest, and is entirely worth your time to breath some cleaner vocals into your "core"-filled CD selection. But be sure not to place it next to Lies For The Liars by The Used or Self Titled by D.R.U.G.S. or else you might not recognize the difference in the slightest. I'd give this album a 3.2 if possible.

Pros:
- Nick Matthews does not lack in the vocal department
- Very catchy
- Stays afloat the majority of the time
- No filler tracks

Cons:
- The Used fanboys
- Tracks similar to one another
- Not enough to push the envelope to the larger post hardcore bands

Recommended Tracks: Fail, Sarcasm, Whore, Hurt, Moving, & Hate

UPDATE: Nick Matthews attempted suicide a couple months after the release of BKOM, so my comments about the lyricism are void. Nothing against the album's lyricism due to the fact that the lyrics were heartfelt to the vocalist and he is doing well now in case you're curious.

The Word Alive RealBlessthefall Hollow Bodies
Asking Alexandria From Death to DestinyPhinehas The Last Word Is Yours To Speak
Attila About That LifeEscape the Fate Ungrateful
3.3

August 6th 2011

Short 10th review. Criticism appreciated and corrections/suggestions encouraged.

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

ilovebalz
August 6th 2011

D.R.U.G.S. suck ass. Good review though

August 6th 2011

Thanks! harharhar @ your clever name. Look at my Creatures review.

IAmKickass
August 6th 2011

This just isn't my style, with a few first good songs the rest flops from there.

CrossPlayer
August 7th 2011

Hey, i really like this review! i think exactly the same way about this album 100%. I even like the same songs as you do Id gve this album 3,5. Cheers mate! spot on

August 8th 2011

Thanks a ton! I 3.5'd at first but I have to try to think from multiple critical perspectives. I'm a HUGE fan and this album is awesome in my fan opinion.

August 8th 2011

I'm also a great fan of The Used & this is the first album i've heard where you can hear The Used as a direct influence on them and it's quite cool. It's just so obvious that it'll get criticism in some aspects.

exportnow
August 22nd 2011

this band is so generic. listen to early I Am Ghost for the same style done way better.

August 28th 2011

Nooope.

ShadowEnvy
September 6th 2011

This disappointed me greatly, I had high hopes after their Self Titled EP

September 6th 2011

I think they delivered well, only hope for a little more screaming later on.

MartinBright
November 14th 2013

Drown is the best song on the album.

Shimana
December 21st 2013

definitive guilty pleasure, not overly guilty bout it though