Papa Roach
Getting Away with Murder

by Ian USER (106 Reviews)
December 3rd, 2005 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Since the formation of Papa Roach, the band had been widely known as a fusion of nu-metal and rap. For their latest record, Getting Away With Murder, Papa Roach has somewhat changed their style of music. While still holding on to the influence of nu-metal slightly, Jacoby has stopped using rap in the lyrics and the music is more oriented towards modern rock. The album has now currently been declared of having reached platinum sales. The second single Scars, has become a huge hit and is played heavily on the radio, despite the fact that the rest of the album is really nothing like it.

The musicianship on the record is surprisingly done well and there is actually a bit of variety on the record. Jacoby Shaddix’s singing is mainly comprised of singing cleanly, but he certainly can yell if he wants to. First thing noteworthy is the obvious fact that he has gone from ‘spitting’ out rhymes in the music to becoming an exceptional singer. Now, he is definitely not the best singer ever, but the transition from songs Last Resort and Blood Brothers is amazing. The song and third single Take Me is vocally my favorite song on the album, very smooth and the chorus works very well with the music. Near the end of the song Not Listening, Coby yells loudly which actually also works well with the song, he won’t yell a lot on the record, but when he does it adds well to the overall value of the individual song. The lyrics themselves are entertaining and while some will find this corny, the lyrics are the kind that make you want to just pump your fist in the air, particularly evident on the second half of the song Take Me when he sings “Does anyone around me feel the same, put your fists up and vent your pain". Some lyrics however are really cliché to me such as “Why does the truth always have to hurt" and “There’s a time to lead and a time to follow", which are both found on the song Stop Looking. The song Scars, is now likely the most well known song from the band, but doesn’t reflect what the rest of the album is like. This song is likely the most emotional song that the band has ever written and Coby’s singing fits it well. It is a good song and the strongest thing it has going for it is his singing, but it gets repetitive after a while.

The guitar work for this band is done by Jerry Horton and fits the style of the band well complimenting Coby’s singing. There are some creative riffs found throughout the album. While the guitar work on the first single Getting Away With Murder is good, I just can’t stand the song itself; it seems very boring and repetitive to me. There is some double tracking on the album with the guitar, but it doesn’t bother me since I don’t plan on seeing the band live ever. Most of the time the guitar work is strictly power chords and this is probably what causes the feeling of repetitiveness on the album. As for the bass, well, nothing can really be said about Tobin Esperance’s playing because he never really stands out at all. The title track Getting Away With Murder, is just about as good as the bass will get, which is pretty sad. The drum work on the album from Dave Black is actually quite enjoyable to me. He dishes out some tight beats and nice drum fills throughout the album and my favorite performance from him is probably on the song Tyranny of Normality, which is also my favorite song on the album partially because of the drums, but also because of the cool vocals that Coby does on the song.

A nice surprise on this album is the song Sometimes, which features a nice acoustic guitar intro and Jacoby’s singing is very good on the album. The chorus and the acoustic guitar make this song one of the best on the album. There a couple of things that bug me about this album. The first has to do with the final song Do or Die, it’s a good song, but I while I’ve heard of bands ripping of other bands riffs, I’ve never really heard a band rip off one of their own songs. Well, evidently there is a first time for everything because Do or Die’s opening guitar riff is an almost exact rif off of the popular song Blood Brothers. It doesn’t bother me to much, but I just think that it is something that is worth mentioning. One other problem that I had with this album is that there becomes a slight repetitiveness after a while. Many songs will start to sound the same to the point where I can’t even recognize the names of many of the songs when I listen to them and I will have to look at the case to remember what each of the songs are called. Besides that though, this album is actually pretty good to me. The best songs on the album are Tyranny of Normality, Take Me, Not Listening, and Sometimes. If you ever plan on buying a Papa Roach album, this is most likely your best choice. Overall, this album is surprisingly excellent to me, meaning it gets a rating of 4 out of 5.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You
good
Kenneth E. Rathburn (3)
Getting away with...another alternative album....

Damrod EMERITUS (4)

Cedric Hooge (4)

December 3rd 2005

I think that this is one of my better reviews. Thanks for reading my review. Please feel free leave comments about this review, band, or album. Thank you for your time.

[quote=review]strictly power chords[/quote]
Doesn't Jerry play in drop-D?

December 3rd 2005

I don't know squat about guitar stuff when it comes to tunings and such so...

December 3rd 2005

I was just wondering becausing the first two were drop-D so I didn't know if this one was.

Cravinov13
December 3rd 2005

Nice review. I really get tired of this band though.

December 3rd 2005

Well, if drop-d tuning is low, then maybe.

sexymuffin
December 3rd 2005

This album is decent, nothing special though.

The biggest drawback is Jacoby's lyrics. Some of them are just God awful, forget corny or cliche.

Good review, although you rated it a bit high.

I'd say 3/5 is the highest i'd give it.

ocelot-05
December 3rd 2005

Thanks for clearing that up, Jom. Personally, I think that Papa Roach is an awful nu metal band, and you know I don't think that just because they're nu metal. Their first album was listenable, the second was poor, and this one is dreadful, IMO. Good review, though. I just don't see how you can rate Papa Roach higher than Slipknot. Slipknot has proven themselves capable of melodic and heavy songs, and Corey is far more accomplished than Jacoby as a lyricist.

Electric City

Curse you Kripes! *Searches frantically for something to review*

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

December 3rd 2005

Hehe, I think your taking reviewing as a competion a bit silly and immature.

wikuk
December 3rd 2005

man, i wanted to do this album, well, never mind cos this is a very good review.

and how can i get that blue smiley, with the good work thingie, that (y)

Priestmetal
December 3rd 2005

I find that these guys rip off Faith no More alot. I've only heard the singles off this but they arn't great and im not a fan so I probably wont check this out.

December 3rd 2005

Both the singles Getting Away With Murder and Scars are horrible representations of the album, but the third single Take Me, is a lot more closer to the sound of the album as a whole.

barosjn
December 3rd 2005

Good job at escaping from the corny concept reviews, Kripes.

December 3rd 2005

[quote=]Good job at escaping from the corny concept reviews, Kripes.[/quote]

What the hell? I only did one and I liked it.

December 6th 2005

[quote=wikuk]
and how can i get that blue smiley, with the good work thingie, that (y)[/quote]
Figure it out :thumb:

December 6th 2005

[quote=]This album is good. I saw them live when they opened for 311 and they were awesome. I HAD to pick this album up after a show like that![/quote]

Huh, I've always figured them to suck live. Oh well.

: thumb : - minus the spaces :thumb:

Apathy
December 10th 2005

Take me off your favorites list, will you? :mad:

Good review.

December 10th 2005

Take me off your favorites list, will you?

Good review.

MusicOfficial took me off his :upset:

[quote=Mazz567]Take me off your favorites list, will you?[/quote]

:confused: No I didn't, lemme check.

Edit: Huh, that's weird, oh well. I added you back on.This Message Edited On 12.10.05