Serianna
Inheritors

by fromtheinside USER (128 Reviews)
July 25th, 2011 | 18 replies | 7,409 views

Review Summary: Now That's What I Call Metalcore!

I get it, or at least, I like to think I do. We’ve a reached a bleeding point in most sub genres of metal; thus a reasonable explanation as to why everything sounds so damn similar, and has for years, it feels now. And like I said, I get it. When there’s a band that makes something feel so fresh – even for a millisecond, the temptation of not sharing “ideas” would be enigmatic. But what Serianna do with their debut, Inheritors, is outright laziness; causing frustration not because of it’s “been there heard that” approach though more appropriately damaged by how much talent feels wasted. With Inheritors essentially Serianna take everything so boring about the current hybrid post hard-metalcore and amplify it. In short it’s like every band at Warped Tour – combined.

My bad. I didn’t mean to make your mind up for you, but skim a set list for any Vans sponsored event this summer and you’ve got an influence for Inheritors. They pull off their impersonations rather well, they’re no Texas In July, but their front man, Chris Nutting, would give Jake Luhrs a run for his money. And so the problems begin with the album. Ignoring the Word Alive mirrored opener, “Fragments”, things set off on the right foot with technical proficiency promising an above average experience. Leads feel grounded and the drums are constantly racing through the track, but the switches in style for the vocals impede the songs velocity and it ends up falling to the ground, and fast – well before the completely forgettable closing. Thankfully, “Guilty Spark” picks things back up and the Misery Signals comes out. Nutting has some vivacious vocals and seriously has the range to place the band on a pedestal next to August Burns Red and the likes; however, when he’s on point the band rarely are.

This is such a disconcerting fact considering when Nutting is actually belting a worthy note, flailing about rapid screeches or engulfing the track with a bellowing growl, his band chooses the junz over the funz! “Cast Away”, for instance, features the love of Underoath swimming in a sea of dissonance reverberated low enough for the bass to breathe companied by blaring screams from the front man – but, this is ultimately boring and rehashes its trick far too long. Especially when you’ve got the beautiful “Colors” which actually sounds like a voyage across a river embedded in Middle Earth; uplifted with powerful keys and soaring horns and it’s moments/songs like these that confuse Inheritors. The band have no identity, if that wasn’t obvious by now, and even though they might look good trying so many different faces on, their charisma and execution is evaporated in the smoke they’re blowing up everyone’s ass at the moment. They’re either going to be that strong footed melo-death band the title track hints at or they’re going to soulfully annihilate riffs and spark a moment worth stealing – “Revelations”. Either would be nice, just fucking pick one.

Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
Vales Wilt And RiseNero Di Marte Nero Di Marte
2.7

fromtheinside
July 25th 2011

not proud of this review for several reasons.

streaming here: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/18

don't really wanna talk about how i came across this and why i decided to review it.

Digging: Young Widows - Easy Pain

Give me artwork

Digging: Banks - Goddess

PistolPete
July 25th 2011

my opinion of most metalcore

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Ulsufyring
July 25th 2011

this is from my city. how did you find it

fromtheinside
July 25th 2011

Damn it won't give it to you either Dev?

July 25th 2011

No, link me and I'll put it up

taylormemer
July 25th 2011

Personally, it's easier to take it upon yourself to find it, resize it, etc.

July 25th 2011

I've heard of them before. But not sure if I liked it.

July 25th 2011

Personally, it's easier to take it upon yourself to find it, resize it, etc.

If I have the time I do

Displacement
July 26th 2011

Played a show with these guys. Meh.

Ulsufyring
July 26th 2011

they play all the time in my city (because they're from there) and they're really nice guys but god damn do they bring the boring junz, just like every other band in my city

July 26th 2011

They're from my state so Thats probably why I've heard of them.

MiseryMissy
August 25th 2011

their drummer is such a beast

jmcparlin1
September 3rd 2011

No, all of the members are beasts. They are one of the most epic modern metal out now with so much more to come. Metallica pissed themselves when they heard virtues. Cannibal corpse now look like small Shitzu puppies. The big 4 now look like the tiny 0.4. Serianna win. End of.

RosaParks
November 2nd 2011

Not sure about that one, bud.

November 2nd 2011

Lol^^

LordOfAlexandria
December 20th 2011

I went to high school with the drummer.

...but this band still sucks ass.

ninjatoaster
January 13th 2012

It's meh. It's an enjoyable album, albeit not that good at all.