Thursday
No Devolución

by IamInExile USER (10 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2011 | 6 replies | 3,326 views

Review Summary: Time to let this pass...

Thursday may well be the best Post-Hardcore of the 21st century, but on their latest release they lean more towards a darker post-rock type of sound. They have always managed to change and freshen their sound with each album, this time around it's no different. Think more towards 'Full Collapse' and maybe 'Common Existence', because this is a perfect blend of the two, with an added darker/moodier feel. Thursday haven't sounded this good since 'Full Collapse', with vocalist ,Geoff Rickley, showing a massive improvement in the vocals department. Coming of less whiny, Geoff's lyrics are also at their usual best.

'Fast To The End' starts the album off well, as it shows exactly what they were going for sound wise. Still having that traditional Post-Hardcore sound, they opted to add a more dissonant sound, with Geoff's new found vocal style fitting it perfectly. 'No Answers' may well be the best song they have written since 'Understanding In a Carcrash'. It starts of with a nice keyboard intro, creating that atmospheric feel I mentioned earlier. Geoff sounds at his best during the chorus, as well as at the end, when he repeats:"No answers, no answers when you are not around". Beautiful isn't good enough to describe this song.

'Sparks Against The Sun', another standout, features some great keyboard parts. 'Magnets Caught In A Metal Heart' starts with pounding drum beat, and the chorus turns out to be the best on the album. There's also a great deal of variety, with 'Empty Glass' not sounding like anything they've done before. It's a slow song with almost just vocals in it, but near the end it turns into a beautiful instrumental. 'Turnpike Divides' is another 'different' song, it's energetic and features some rare gang vocals. The second half of the song is the most epic three minutes of the album. Truly something special. Then comes the eight minute closer, 'Stay True'. It's one of the softer songs on the album, but builds up to a heavier middle section. A great way to end off an amazing album.

The two guitarists also shined on the album, playing some intricate guitar parts, straying away from the normal stuff you would hear in the genre. What impressed me most was the vocals and drums, it's what made this different than their previous albums, and even better than 'Full Collapse'.

Recommended Tracks:

No Answers
Sparks Against The Sun
Magnets Caught In A Metal Heart
Turnpike Divides

Funeral for a Friend Welcome Home ArmageddonFuneral for a Friend Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation
Emery ...In Shallow Seas We SailSenses Fail The Fire