Hopsin
Raw

by Christian Davila USER (3 Reviews)
July 21st, 2011 | 144 replies

Review Summary: Hop can probably make you bounce.

The title of this album sums it up perfectly. Marcus Hopson, better known by his stage name, Hopsin, is a underrated, angry, not radio friendly, rapper who wants the world to know who he is... and that he hates the late, great Eazy-E's wife, Tomica Wright. I first heard of Hopsin on Tech N9ne's song, "Am I A Psycho?" and i was really suprised. The line that really got me going was when he said "If I was sane I’d put down the mic and say *** it I’ll never rise to fame." after that, i had to check out his music.

Raw is Hopsin's second album and first to be released through his own label, Funk Volume. This album is filled with serious, fun, and some interesting songs. The piano in "Im not Introducing You" makes you feel happy and cheerful which is great, while "Heather Marie" is a serious/love type song. Now, you may be thinking "Oh gosh, another love song." well, Hopsin executes this song with such passion, it's quite amazing. Also, "I Cant Decide" shows his great story telling skills, voicing out characters makes it sound great. Some songs like "Baby's Daddy" dont really have to be on the album but are still fun.

Remember when i said that he hated Tomica Wright? Well, she signed him in 2007 to Ruthless Records and basically never gave him the money he deserved. He talks about her on a number of tracks, which makes you see his hate for her. Mainly on "You Are My Enemy" and "Kill Her." The latter being more obvious. Like i said, he talks about her on quite a number of tracks but, it never gets old! His lyrics are pretty damn great in every way. He also disses quite a few rappers including Lil Wayne, Drake, and Waka Flocka Flame. Oh and also disses President Obama on one of the best tracks on the album, "Nocturnal Rainbows." This track really shows his great flow and lyrical ability.

Hopsin holds absolutely nothing back on Raw and thats what makes this album such a great listen. The flow, the lyrics, the overall feel of this album is fantastic and out shines most rappers out there today. Give Raw a listen and im sure you will be hooked. Big things are going to happen for Hopsin, the only question is, when?

Recommended Songs
Nocturnal Rainbows
Sag My Pants
How You Like Me Now
You Are My Enemy

• themindtrick (2.5)
    Monotonous song structure and lyrical presentation bring down Hopsin's technical skills as...

Midjicka (2.5)
    An album that demonstrates how to distract your listeners from any skills that you have....

itshenry130 (3.5)
    After a lot of disappointments, Hopsin has managed to produce a rap album that easily stan...

Scott Krasman (4)
    Hopsin delivers a genuinely bitter set of hip-hop tracks. Just don't judge him by the whit...

• SkateFootballMusic (4.5)
    Any Hip-Hop fans or old-school Eminem fans that are wanting old Eminem back should check o...

July 21st 2011

My first review, let me know how i did? Constructive criticism is welcomed

metalent
July 21st 2011

for me this album is that diamond in the rough. for me it deserved the masterful 5. I never got the feeling that he laid off anywhere on the album with is lyrical ability or style. each song felt better and better. the two songs i felt were B songs (Im not introducing you, Baby's Daddy) werent enough to hinder this album, because he still brings it to the table. ive been tellin a bunch of friends about hop, and have loved it. so i have faith in FV and hopsin.

Nocturnal Rainbows is a DEFINITE recommend. i also recommend hot 16's.

July 21st 2011

@metalent Yeah, now that im thinking about it, i should have gave it a 5. I mean those songs arent the best but he makes them so enjoyable. Nocturnal Rainbows is, to me, the best song on the album and so do i! They're gonna go far.

MalleusMaleficarum
July 21st 2011

so why am i hearing things abt this guy going after Tyler? what track does that happen on?

July 21st 2011

Look up the Ill Mind Of Hopsin 4 on youtube, he says it there.

KangarooSong
July 22nd 2011

Yeah I learned about this guy from the Tyler diss. I was pretty amazed by that track so I had to check him out. Definitely Slim Shady LP influenced.

tehdoomsayer
July 25th 2011

best hip hop i've heard in a minute. blood energy potion is ace. also digging i'm not crazy. don't think i've heard a track i don't like actually.

tehdoomsayer
July 25th 2011

sorry for double post

StrizzMatik
February 27th 2012

His Tyler diss was pretty brilliant and more than a little accurate lol

DotEight
March 5th 2012

"You Are My Enemy" is mint.

conesmoke

AMAZING ALBUM

gabethepiratesquid
March 17th 2012

Ugghhh Hopsin fans.

"His Tyler diss was pretty brilliant and more than a little accurate lol"
ya tyler is ttly illuminati m/

but no it was pretty bad or I could say "IT SUCKED SO MUCH I GOT BLOWJOBS FROM IT!!!"

"I have to give Hopsin props for making a decent album in the realms of hip hop/rap. Aka the sess pool of synthetic sounds dumped onto simplistic beats and meters. Which the weak minded miscreants and masses of this world love to suck down.

Oh and just to be clear... Hopsin isn't cool for wearing hipster contact lenses, and i still have yet to hear anything closely resembling musical talent come from his records."
Is ur favorite rapper Aesop Rock by any chance?

conesmoke
March 20th 2012

"Is ur favorite rapper Aesop Rock by any chance?"

Nope.

April 9th 2012

This is a really fun listen and he's got some cool rhymes and a really nice flow on quite a lot of these tracks, but it's nowhere near a 5. Sag My Pants is the best on here IMO.

April 9th 2012

Whoops, double.

DotEight
April 22nd 2012

Underrated album. This album truly is phenomenal lyrically. Yeah a couple tracks have some goofy beats, but overall this kid is a genius.

April 26th 2012

TBH, the beats are about the only things I don't at least have a small beef with. They fit the style here pretty well IMO. Some of his lyrics are awesome, I especially love his first verse on trampoline, the 2nd half specifically:

Nah, he ain't worthy of that, the controversy is back
Get out the kool aid stir me a batch
See I prefer to relax, but I can't and God knows it
Gotta stay raw with the flow that I'm diagnosed with
Oh shit, niggers keep fucking with my emotions
Maybe that's the reason that I suffer from psychosis
Shocking this high voltage, fuck it, my life's hopeless
So I had to make sure I killed it when I wrote this

It's delivered pretty well too. A lot of the stuff early on in the album is pretty fresh, but by the end of the album a lot of his lyrics feel pretty contrived. WAY too much talk about how people didn't think he would make it, and overall the same topics come up constantly.

The tracks where he has something specific to rap about usually avoids that issue, but DAMN he throws some terribly cheesy choruses on some of those tracks. Baby's Daddy is fucking cringe-worthy.