Soundtrack (Film)

by SowingSeason STAFF
July 15th, 2011 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An indie sampler plate

The Garden State soundtrack swells with an even-keeled spontaneity; a sort of modesty brought about by its unequivocal beauty and effortlessly fluid progression. The album could be seen as a blend of several indie subgenres, each one surfacing with unique temptations designed to rope you in. There is the way that the sinister undertones of ‘In the Waiting Line’ invite you to further explore all of Zero 7’s ethereal creations, the way that Colin Hay’s ‘I Just Don’t Think I’ll Ever Get Over You’ introduces a heart-on-your-sleeve acoustic style of balladry – and least we forget, the spiritually uplifting nature of Simon and Garfunkel’s ‘The Only Living Boy In New York.’ With songs spanning nearly four decades, Garden State truly feels like the definitive retrospective of alternative and indie music – a timeline, if you will, of the genre leading up to its present glory. Some of Garden State’s most breathtaking moments are made so by the accompanying musical backdrop. At its most poignant, Remy Zero’s raw and emotionally profound ‘Fair’ leads the way. Iron & Wine’s cover of ‘Such Great Heights’ lends itself to the film’s soft-spoken sense of sophistication. The Shins, making two contributions, highlight the slowly unraveling plot with their brand of chilled, atmospheric mid-tempo rock. Upon hearing those tracks now, it is hard not to be taken back to the scene where Natalie Portman introduces Zach Braff to their song ‘New Slang’, stating “You gotta hear this one song. It will change your life, I swear.” In a way, that’s how Garden State’s soundtrack works. If you have never gotten into indie before, all bets are that you will find something stunningly you in here. From the most immediate (Coldplay) to the more subtle (Thievery Corporation), it is nearly impossible not to relate to at least a few of the tracks this has to offer. And as for the hipsters, well…listening to Nick Drake’s ‘One of These Things First’ never gets old, does it?

Damien Rice My Favourite Faded FantasyTaylor Swift 1989
Zella Day Zella DayAndrew McMahon in the Wilderness Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Titus Andronicus The MonitorTigers on Trains Antarctica In Color
Old Uncle Al (3.5)
Cute and subtle, like the movie....

July 15th 2011

shortest review i have written. enjoy.

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

July 15th 2011

I still need to see this movie

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

foreverendeared

good movie/soundtrack/soundoff

FromDaHood
July 15th 2011

It's funny that this is longer than a soby review. Summary is exactly how I'd describe it; great review too.

taylormemer

Nice soundoff.

July 15th 2011

Do you normally write your reviews this short Sowing?

foreverendeared
July 15th 2011

"Do you normally write your reviews this short Sowing?"

"shortest review i have written."

Rev
July 15th 2011

key movies in all hipster collections: rushmore, 500 days of summer, high fidelity, and garden state.

=(

Irving

Too short. Neg.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

Crowe

Hello, Sowing.

I first watched this movie with the ex and - shit, fuck this. "New Slang" is undeniably a song of the decade, though.

balcaen
July 15th 2011

yes. this was where indie pretty well started for me. good review

July 15th 2011

i actually like the movie

but part of me thinks it is because of the soundtrack

20824 Comments

hipster movie? one-paragraph review? the phrase "raw and emotionally profound"?

Yep, this was written by a contributor

pos

obvi

haha thanks sea

July 15th 2011

"raw and emotionally profound"

Sowings' catch phrase/slogan/whateveryawanttacallit?

July 15th 2011

i have a lot of catch phrases

here's to hoping 'fuck me' sticks

20824 Comments

weird you reviewed this. I had the oddest hankering to watch this the other day. looked for it on Instant Netflix, didn't find it, and lost interest though. figured it was a movie both the girlfriend whose never seen it, and I, could enjoy. oh well. some of zach braff makes me cringe so much in this but other parts are cute. ok movie.

July 15th 2011

yeah nothing really happens in the entire movie

but portman is adorable as always, and the music rules

here's to hoping 'fuck me' sticks

lol.

July 16th 2011

20824 Comments

The Shins were one of my favorite bands in like 9th grade but I don't even have them in my library anymore... haven't for too long. Should probably change that if only for their few good songs, I 'spose. "New Slang" rules.