Megadeth
Risk

by quaker66 USER (3 Reviews)
July 10th, 2011 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Very good rock album, but most of people are unfortunately still trying to judge it as "standard Megadeth", the area where it obviously fails.

Lineup:

Dave Mustaine - lead vocals, rhytm guitar
Dave Ellefson - bass guitar, backing vocals
Marty Friedman - lead guitar
Jimmy DeGrasso - drums

Risk was the 1999 followup to Cryptic Writings, continuing the commercializing tendency set by previous albums. For many people, it was a huge failure, mainly older fans. After a few closer listens, it's not that bad though; in fact, Risk is an excellent album, it's just that many people are still trying to judge it as "normal Megadeth" album.

No, Risk is not heavy metal anymore and you have to take it like that. If you're a metal only fan, you most probably won't like it.
If you're openminded though and take Risk as simply a hard rock album with certain experimental elements, you'll maybe appreciate it.

2004 brought a remastered version of the album, which unfortunately left out some interesting parts.

So, how are the songs?

It all starts off with Insomnia which is one of the heavier songs on the album and also among the best ones. So far, suprised. The violin (removed in remaster) fits in really nicely and Marty Friedman's experimental influence shows. The song is obviously about a lack of sleep ;)

Things continue with Prince of Darkness which, for change, shows Dave Mustaine's influence and is one of the songs that are pretty close to previous Megadeth here (would fit into Youthanasia pretty well). The intro is boring and long, but when it really starts off, it turns out to be a great heavy metal song. The lyrics apparently deal with alcohol abuse.

Enter The Arena is an intro to the next song, obviously a filler. Crush 'Em comes after. Shock. This is completely different from any Megadeth song previously released. It incorporates elements of electronica, Dave Mustaine called this a "disco song" :) but that's not really true. Marty Friedman's guitar solo has a vocal overlay, which I didn't like, I'd rather hear the solo itself. Overall, the song is sort of arena rock with electronic influences, it was for some time used by Bill Goldberg on WCW.

So far, so good! Breadline falls into mediocrity though. It's watered down, simple ballad, with trivial lyrics and the music simply isn't great. The Doctor Is Calling is awesome song though, with good vocal performance and somehow interesting melodies. I'll be There is a ballad, but unlike Breadline, it's very emotional and it's even better live (see That One Night). It contains a reference to Megadeth song In My Darkest Hour ("In my hour of need, you were there always") which I found pretty nice.

Wanderlust is one of the best songs on the album. It changes between slow parts with calm, dark vocals and faster parts where Dave goes high-pitched. The second part gets a lot faster and better and features a nice guitar solo.

Ecstasy is a good song, but unfortunately the vocals feature a sound effect which makes them worse. The song overall is calm and quite melodic, easy listening.

Seven on the other hand is a good, fast rock song, sounds a bit like ZZ Top to me :) There are nice guitar parts in the chorus, which were unfortunately removed in the remastered version. Dave's vocals are awesome here, so is instrumental work, including the guitar solo. The song is very dynamic and fun to listen to from beginning to end.

Time: The Beginning is an acoustic piece, completely different from anything Megadeth or anything else from Risk. Electric guitar is used to play the solo though. Again, nice vocal work. The song is very well composed and quite emotional.

The real gem is hidden for the end. It's called Time: The End and it's mostly instrumental (vocals in the beginning) piece and contains one of the top 10 Megadeth guitar solos (albeit the song overall is pretty short).

The remastered version also contains alternate mixes of Insomnia, Breadline and Crush 'Em. Especially the last one makes the listener think "WTF?!".

If you're considering buying Risk, get the unremastered version if possible. There is nothing improved on the remaster, some nice parts of some songs are removed and the alternate mixes are not worth it.

Album highlights:

this is more like 15 comments put together than an actual review

album is not good

Leviathan8937
July 10th 2011

This is the worst megadeth album

Psychopathologist

1924 Comments

not really

sifFlammable
July 10th 2011

"Very good rock album most of people didn't get"

um what does this even mean

im hoping you didnt make a retarded suggestion that people haven't tried this because there are more than 500 ratings for this

July 10th 2011

^ i haven't said they haven't tried it, "to get something" here refers to that people expect thrash/speed/heavy from megadeth and risk brought something completely different, and people are still rating it as "normal megadeth album"

sifFlammable
July 10th 2011

just say its a somewhat unusual album from megadeth man, that sentence is really really vague

71957 Comments

dude bad taste avatar = badass

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

Risk was 1999 followup to Cryptic Writings

in fact, Risk is excellent album, just most of people didn't really get it

If you're only-metal fan, you won't most probably like it.

The intro to it is boring and long, but then great heavy metal song starts.

I'll be There is again sort of ballad,

I'm going to guess English isn't your first language

July 10th 2011

It indeed isn't I've been learning for some years already by now (about .. 9 years?), but I know, I still suck at it.

July 10th 2011

WashboardSuds, I went through the review and tried to fix mistakes I found; please tell me if it's better now and thanks for the feedback

LepreCon
July 10th 2011

It's not a shit album but...

theacademy
July 10th 2011

this is their worst album

world needs a hero is fucking good

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

July 10th 2011

the world needs a hero is mediocrity, IMO

July 10th 2011

looks better, but I'd fix that first part:

Risk was a 1999 followup to Cryptic Writings

to Risk was the 1999 follow-up to Cryptic Writings
or Risk was Megadeth's 1999 follow-up to Cryptic Writings

otherwise pretty good, I'll pos

Asiatic667
July 10th 2011

There are some great songs on here. Haven't heard it all, but what I have beats out Cryptic Writings by a healthy margin

album's meh :/
Prince of Darkness is decent though