Royksopp
Melody A.M.

by Scott Herren USER (42 Reviews)
November 26th, 2005 | 24 replies | 15,357 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Royksopp - Melody A.M.

Royksopp are a duo from Norway. They rely on beautiful soundscapes, and a couple appearances by Erlend Oye of Kings of Convenience fame on Melody A.M., to create an interesting and relaxing album that is a joy to listen to from beginning to end. In my opinion this is the type of downbeat album that rivals Boards of Canada's Music Has the Right To Children in terms of sheer beauty. This album is perhaps even a little more accessible to wider listener base because of it's lighter mood, and pop qualities.

Two of the standout tracks are the two that feature vocals from Erlend Oye. "Poor Leno", a club favorite, loops the line "Poor Leno, where you'll be I'll go. Where you'll be I'll know. Where you'll be I'll find you." The airy vocals juxtapose wonderfully with the driving pace of the underlying beat. The other track, "Remind Me", puts Erlends beautiful vocals on display even more than "Poor Leno". "Remind Me" is the highlight of the album for me. The vocals which are mirrored by a synthisized keyboard melody, make the song so strong, and the overall atmosphere created is very relaxing. Just about every track on the album maintains a very high quality.

There are so parts that are forgetable, but not really any noticeable lulls. "Eple", "Sparks", and "In Space" are great gateway songs into the epic "Poor Leno", taking a page from Air's Moon Safari by not relying too heavily on vocals, but rather just layers upon layers of spacey, airy, fluffy goodness, with the occasional vocal sample thrown in.

Think of the two main songs as "Poor Leno" and "Remind Me", and the surrounding music isn't as distinct, but rather, an everflowing wonderful accompaniment. "A Higher Place", and "Royksopp's Night Out" are a wonderful bridge, with the later the peak that the entire album has been building to...a 7 and a half minute epic with so many fantastic mood changes.

"She's So" begins the comedown part of the record. There is a jazzy horn solo with sonic layered soundscapes joined later by a funky beat. The song feels like it belongs in a lounge at around 4 or 5 am, and the last half of "40 Years Back/Come" is nothing more than a faint melody, signaling the end to the party which is this album. It is overall 45 minutes of bliss, and one of the better albums of 2001.

Recommended Tracks:

Jawaharal

good review

Med57
November 27th 2005

Hey, it's a Scott Herren review! Good stuff as usual...I really dig this album. Took me a while to start listening to properly, but it's really breezy music. They looked amazing at Glastonbury.

Zebra
November 27th 2005

For some reason I missed this review. Excellent job, you described this album very well.

This is a 4/5 IMO, just because there are some average tracks and there's not as much depth as I would have liked.

analrightstart
April 18th 2006

investigation time.

RandyfromPennywise
May 8th 2007

Eple is one of the best songs in this genre, whatever it is called. It is great. I made a video with it for a class at Uni two years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N205TfzjrKY

neok
June 7th 2007

She's So = pure sex! I love that song!

Metalikane
March 3rd 2008

I'll admit, I hadn't heard or heard of this group until I saw the Geico commercial featuring Remind Me. I noticed that the little bit they play on the commercial would stick in my head after watching it. That led me to this surprisingly awesome album. Thank you Geico!

72haha72
March 20th 2008

Beautiful album

BSX
October 29th 2008

The make out album of my life

Spec
April 15th 2011

Thank you "Late Night Drives" list for showing me this.

isenriver
August 31st 2011

'So Easy' needs a mention it's mesmerising, I also love 'A Higher Place’

TheBaronofBadNews
September 29th 2011

Loved this. So Easy is definitely my favorite.

Good review.

Waits
April 8th 2012

I'm surprised 'So Easy' wasn't mentioned, one of the first electronic songs I really dug. Solid review though, giving the full album a listen now.

Fantastic album!
Does anybody know if their live show is any good?

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

July 29th 2012

their live show is fucking awesome. go see them if you have the chance. top 5 live bands that i've seen, easy

July 29th 2012

Yeah, I'm seeing them next week (aside with Trentemoller - WOOT) so I'm curious how it will turn out.

August 1st 2012

fuck yeah man that will be awesome. trentemoller would be sick too

August 1st 2012

they are heavier live though, not like wow heavy but don't expect this sort of sound as much. not that they don't play songs from this, but yeah.

August 1st 2012

Sounds great, 'cause the follow-ups are a bit too poppy for my taste.

menawati