The Gaslight Anthem
American Slang

by William Lim USER (20 Reviews)
June 25th, 2011 | 23 replies

Review Summary: At this rate, it doesn't look like there's a single bad album in The Gaslight Anthem's future.

“With such talent at their disposal, there isn’t a chance that The Gaslight Anthem will sink, just how long they can swim remains to be seen.”
--The concluding sentence of Richard Craig’s Sink or Swim review; June 3rd, 2008.

From a certain retrospective, it feels like an eternity ago that The Gaslight Anthem emerged from what seemed like thin air with the sudden appearance of Sink or Swim on the shelf of your local record store. Through only three thoroughly amazing albums, it feels as if the band have changed so much without letting go of their roots, but rather building upon them with new influences, new styles and new improvements that has taken The Gaslight Anthem across the country (and the world) time and time again, allowing them to play the stage alongside Social Distortion, The Strokes, and even their personal idol, none other than The Boss himself. Surely, the band has come a long way since the rough vocals and coarse instrumentation of 2007’s independent favourite Sink or Swim (and in such short time, I’d like to add), earning strong critical and commercial success through all three of their albums without the help of major record labels, but rather a continuous touring schedule, consistent record release frequency, and, well, pure talent.

Naturally, following Sink or Swim and The ‘59 Sound, I honestly had a bad feeling about what The Gaslight Anthem had in store for us next. Through two brilliant records, they had surely consolidated the impression of talent in the minds of their audience, but a third record slump seemed imminent after two consecutive records as good as Sink and ‘59. A sensation of relief washed over me as I played the title track “American Slang” for the first time, falling instantly in love with every second from start to finish of The Gaslight Anthem’s third effort, American Slang.

During the tour in support of The ‘59 Sound, vocalist/guitarist Brian Fallon, now writing for The Gaslight Anthem’s next studio record, decided to depart from the ‘50s influenced sound of ‘59. Evidently, Fallon’s decision has kept the band’s music fresh with a new “all-American” sound that is slightly lacking in traditional fast punk rock tempos and thick chord-based punk passages, but instead distributes more of its emphasis into impact and atmosphere (the slow, stirring closer “We Did It When We Were Young” and it’s close relation “The Queen of Lower Chelsea” being easily the strongest examples on the album, and, perhaps, the entire Gaslight discography), while the band includes speed and punk rock solidarity in such tracks as “Stay Lucky” (for the former) and “Bring It On” (for the latter); obviously, a wise and well-played strategy that relates well with Fallon’s new approach.

Frankly, the mellow, mid-tempo sound of American Slang really does wonders for the album. In this setting, Rosamalia is able to take his guitar work to a new level of melodic predominance alongside Fallon’s rough, heavily Springsteen-influenced vocals (as opposed to the chord-based composition of the band’s past works). American Slang is riddled with increasingly skilled solo riffs and melodies lain below Fallon’s singing, most of which see his subtle transformation as a guitarist within his newly heartland rock and Americana-influenced passages that reveal Rosamalia’s full potential. In addition, a new amount of texture in Fallon’s vocals is added, the source of which is that “all-American” sound, spawning a newfound blues notational style in his singing demonstrated on the song “The Diamond Church Street Choir”, while his heartfelt folk-punk vocal style is brought to new heights with the crisp quality of the album’s mixing, though some may find that ‘59’s smoother, more polished production may have been more favourable. Praised in particular by critics have been Fallon’s lyrics, described as sheer masterful storytelling incorporating the fairly suburban themes of love (“The Spirit of Jazz”), divorce/break-ups (“Bring It On”) and the American social climate (“American Slang”) in his amazing heartland rock/folk lyrical style.

Structuring is surprisingly a noteworthy feature of the album. The energy of the album is distributed evenly through classic uptempo wonders like “Boxer” or its immediate successor “Orphans” (surely a winner for big fans of Sink), the electrifying alt-punk favourites “Old Haunts” and “Bring It On” and the more alternative-influenced tracks “The Diamond Church Street Choir” and “The Queen of Lower Chelsea”, all of which are ordered in a way that renders repetition unrecognisable and keeps a sense of variety present throughout the entire album. However, easily the most impressive are the placement of the opener “American Slang” and the closer “We Did It When We Were Young”, the former gripping listeners with its balance of the overall sounds of ‘59 and Slang and it’s brilliant guitar hook, while the latter (an alternative rock track consisting of Fallon and Rosamalia’s haunting, whispering vocals and a powerful closing of atmospheric drum crashes and guitar strums) is devoid of virtually any punk rock traces, gracefully concluding the album on a very light, bittersweet note.

Though cited by the general public as The Gaslight Anthem’s most unfavourable studio album, American Slang is still, at the very least, a solid album that delivers a strong follow-up to the band’s ’08 magnum opus, The ‘59 Sound, however weaker it may be in comparison. Packed to the brim with uplifting choruses, epic vocals and awe-inspiring guitar riffing contained within another package of stunningly well written Gaslight Anthem songs, the band has come a long way from their humble underground Jersey beginnings, and I’m sure they won’t be sinking anytime soon.

Troubled Medium WHAT ARE YOU DOINGBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Waxahatchee American WeekendMilhouse Thrillhouse
Cap'n Jazz Shmap'n ShmazzGeorgia Maq Friends and Bowler's Run
MrConnection (4)
The Gaslight Anthem continue their upwards trajectory....

Mike Allen (4)
I've been crazy for so long without you...

Ali CONTRIBUTOR (4)
The New Jersey quartet's foray into Americana continues to yield impressive results....

Nick Butler EMERITUS (4)
Why doesn't every rock band make music like this?...

Nice review, pos'd!

IMO, this is their best effort to date. Album's over before you know it.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

June 25th 2011

Back from my two week reviewing hiatus.

I'm surprised that there isn't a four point five review up. It seems like a fairly objective rating to deserve a review.

EDIT: Thanks, clerqie. I thought this was their best effort for a while, but after a few days of intensive listening, I was HOOKED on The '59 Sound for about two months. You should seriously check it out, or, if you have, just listen to it over and over until it gets to you.

Digging: Little Big League - These Are Good People

June 25th 2011

I already did mate ; ) But I just like this one better: Stay Lucky, Church Choir, Chelsea, Old Haunts and Spirit of Jazz are all amazing.

June 25th 2011

Pretty much. I really can't pick a favourite. "She Loves You" is pretty awesome too.

June 25th 2011

Great review, man. Pos'd. It's always nice to be quoted - even if there is a tragic typo ('along' should be 'how long') and even if it isn't a particularly insightful or well-worded sentence on my behalf. Thanks though

June 25th 2011

Never really listened to these guys, but I heard Bring It On on a music video show last night and loved it.

June 25th 2011

They're really good, check them out!
One of the best live bands around too, these days.

June 25th 2011

Yeah, they played at a festival in February but I missed them, they were on the same time as This Town Needs Guns

June 25th 2011

Never heard of those guys :p

Edit: they sound fun

June 25th 2011

Fantastic band. You check out TTNG and I'll check out this album, deal?

Deal : )
Just googled Chinchilla, seems like a chill band

June 25th 2011

Lemur is the best track off that album.

June 25th 2011

@ Craigy; sorry 'bout that. Gettin' right to changin' it.

June 25th 2011

Will, no you got it right. I got it wrong in the original review, I just went back and changed it once I realised the mistake.

June 25th 2011

That vaguely occurred to me, since I remembered copying and pasting it directly from your review, but I just brushed it off.

no worries, brah.

defjaw83

Atavan, dude! Get The '59 Sound now, it's incredible

FromDaHood
June 25th 2011

Lemur is such a great track, one of my all time faces I think.
solid review, I feel like at times you used too many descriptors to emphasize how varied your vocabulary is and that got a bit annoying, especially in the clusterfuck intro paragraph. You keep getting better though, so have a pos.

ShadowRemains

20734 Comments

may bump this to a 4 at some point, it's growing

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Eko
June 25th 2011

I could have sworn someone posted a 5 review of this a few months ago. a high 4 for me, pos'd.