Origin
Entity

by Darion Paone USER (77 Reviews)
June 24th, 2011 | 31 replies | 14,351 views

Review Summary: Another head-smashing release from one of technical death metal's most proficient bands, with a rather typical lack of attention to anything revolutionary.

When it comes to technical death metal, you can't go wrong listening to an Origin record. I wouldn't hesitate to call them masters of the art, because that's precisely what they are. Unfortunately, even masters of the art can decide to not put in any more effort than their last piece of work, which is basically what happened during the writing and recording of Entity.

I'll make one thing clear. I love this album. Every track is home to finely-honed musical beauty and skillfully-executed instrumental work, and save for the instrumental "The Descent", Mica's vocals sound incredible, as always. Everything in this album fits together in a collective piece of work that's jaw-dropping in its brutality and sheer force of presence. Another joyous aspect of this album is the running time of a mere thirty-six minutes. I think Origin knew they weren't really bringing anything new to the table with this album, so they decided to keep it short and sweet as opposed to boring us to death.

The pace of the album overall is very fast, slowing down only for a few necessary moments in the longer tracks like "Saligia" and "Consequences of Solution" (as well as the instrumental) before clocking you in the face with another layer of blast beats and heavy riffs. You can get a general feel for what the album has in store with the first track, "Expulsion of Fury", but the really good stuff is in the aforementioned songs and the second track, "Conceiving Death", all of which are home to explosive solos that greatly compliment the already-introduced double-bass kicks and well-crafted guitar riffs.

All in all, this really shouldn't surprise anyone who's listened to Origin's records before, It's another great-sounding, well-paced and well-executed technical death metal beauty. The issue here is that it's the same formula with no real changes in sound. Origin hasn't broken the skill ceiling they've created, hasn't raised their own bar, and hasn't really changed all that much. They still make great music, and they're still death effing metal. Enjoy the record.

Recommended Tracks
1.) "Expulsion of Fury"
2.) "Conceiving Death"
3.) "Saligia"
4.) "Fornever"
5.) "Consequences of Solution"