August Burns Red
Leveler

by Brandon Nelson USER (2 Reviews)
June 21st, 2011 | 65 replies | 8,561 views

Review Summary: Innovation and experimentation with new sounds brings August Burns Red ahead, and leaves a very satisfying album in their wake.

The metalcore and post-hardcore scene is viewed by most as a generic and tedious genre of music. Few bands bring something new to the table that differentiates them from everyone else. However every once in awhile there will be band that has an outstanding feature. Then there are others where at first, may be just as generic as the rest, but will evolve into something that could have much potential. August Burns Red fits in the latter.

I found August Burns Red's first 2 albums to be fairly standard metalcore fair. Yet still they hit the spot for me, with each album having something to them that made them shine, and had many highlights. Then came along Constellations. The third album by August Burns Red, for the most part, was very standard yet again. However, there were more aspects to it than previous iterations. Different vocal techniques, more varied drumming, and quick and spot-on guitar work was more apparent. I was impressed with Constellations and August Burns Red performed well. Now before this turns into a Constellations review let me get to the point.

Unlike a lot of bands, August Burns Red realize that to keep ahead in this genre, innovation must step forward. They did this outright, and it paid off. The first song "Empire" at first seemed very standard to me, and I thought "here we go again" but then something went incredibly right. Towards the end of the track, epic gang vocals appeared, and instantly gained my attention. And with that attention, I stopped doing whatever activity I was doing and listened. Then came "Internal Cannon". This song had been released before the full release of the album, but I never got around to listening to it. Now, this is where the innovation comes in. Seamlessly, two salsa dance parts with acoustic guitars and tamberines climbed right in the middle of the hard hitting vocals and heavy instruments. At first this took me by surprise, and when I say surprise, oh boy. I thought my itunes had somehow switched songs to a track I had not realized I put in my library. However, after checking the song title and band playing, I was brought back to reality.

This sneak attack, and top notch shine throughout the album (tracks like "Pangea" and "Boys of Fall" standout pretty well) really made this album for me. It is arguable that this is August Burns Red's best work yet. The band realizes that to stay afloat in a crowded sea of generic metalcore and post-hardcore bands, they MUST bring something new to the table, and try to appeal to an ever growing, jaded audience. This is a huge step in the right direction, and should be noted for the innovative work.

June 21st 2011

I made this review somewhat hastily. My apologies if it feels rushed and poorly written.

June 21st 2011

Just trying to get on this one first huh?

genres don't need capitals....

June 21st 2011

Naw not really trying to get it first. I honestly didn't even realize that there were no other reviews.

June 21st 2011

Wow, that recommended section is amazing. Way to put some thought into it

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

June 21st 2011

Hehe still new to the site. Thought it was for relating other albums by the same band. I see now that is not what it is for...

June 21st 2011

One thing I've always noticed by these "gotta get it in as quick as I can" reviews, is that 99% of them are essentially just the reviewer writing down notes about himself. Like, "at first I didn't like the track but then bam! that breakdown at the 2:45 mark just floored me" etc. Which isn't really the way to go about reviewing; but in saying that it's not like this is badly written from a grammatical point of view. My suggestion is spend more time with your review; flush out the ideas more and try to eliminate the first person perspective. You should try and come from as much neutral ground as possible

brutebeard
June 21st 2011

cool art. is this fresh otherwise?

June 21st 2011

Alright thanks I will keep that in mind.

sspedding
June 21st 2011

just a word of advice, we've all seen these 'metalcore is da worst genre n generik' opening paragraphs. Please don't add to them. You also say 'it seemed pretty standard' about a million times.

Welcome to the site.

June 21st 2011

I didn't say it was the worst, just what the general population sees it as, at least as far as I can tell. It happens to be probably my favorite genre.

And thanks for the welcoming.

June 21st 2011

Why doesn't this show up in the review column? Does it need to be approved or something?

June 21st 2011

It might. I only wrote this and one other review tonight, both being my firsts.... so maybe it has to be approved by a mod or something? I dont know.

June 21st 2011

Yep, usually the second doesn't need approving, the first however does. I understand now.

June 21st 2011

Yeah, your first has to be approved before it gets posted. After that you're as good as gold

Yeah what Dev said.

theacademy

is this a good cd

be honest

June 21st 2011

My personal opinion is its 'meh'

djaydjay
June 21st 2011

After reading that review... I have no idea what that cd sounds like. Half of the review is not even speaking about that album, and that's a bit too much (imo of course).

I'm going to listen to that album this afternoon, but I don't expect too much out of it. The 4 pre-released song didn't do much to me. Half of them where unoriginal, and the few original parts sounded forced to me (like the "salsa" part).
It was like they said "hey, we need to experiment, let's throw a salsa part in the middle of our song", not even thinking about how it goes with the song.
The more expermiental parts where better integrated in Constellations.

Duderino

Digging: Hellyeah - Stampede

Duderino
June 21st 2011

and this album is quite unremarkable. like the rest of their catalog