Gentle Giant
The Power and the Glory

by ProgressiveTheory USER (9 Reviews)
June 21st, 2011 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Hail to Power and to Glory's way"

After a group releases what fans consider to be their magnum opus, subsequent releases are usually met with considerably mixed reviews. This generalization held true for Gentle Giant after they released “In a Glass House” in 1973; their next release, “The Power and the Glory,” is sometimes held in high regard as a continuation of “In a Glass House” and is also sometimes ridiculed as being an unsuccessful “In a Glass House II.” In reality, “The Power and the Glory” is neither – rather it is unique enough to separate itself from “In a Glass House” quite well. Conceptually and lyrically the album has a very interesting progression and musically the album is immaculately executed. Probably the strongest and weakest points of the album come from a compositional standpoint; “Proclamation” is possibly one of the greatest tracks that Gentle Giant ever released, but there are moments in tracks like “So Sincere” that leave the listener either confused or annoyed.

“The Power and the Glory” gets a reputation as one of the most complex and impenetrable progressive rock albums, but not rightfully so. There are many other moments in the Gentle Giant catalogue that are far less accessible than this. There aren’t harmonies so outlandish that they are beyond comprehension, there is nothing outside of a standard time signature, and the orchestrations are not as notoriously obscure as they have been on other Gentle Giant records. Although harmonically the album incorporates dissonance frequently, it isn’t nearly as abstract as people make it out to be. Most of the tracks on the album have a groove or other strong rhythmic pattern that carries the music very adequately even when melodically the music begins to stray. It is also important to note that many of the stranger harmonic choices on the record start to make much more sense with each repeated listen.

The band mates can do no wrong in their execution of the material. The overall feel that is communicated as well as the technical proficiency of the musicians is superb. Some extremely difficult syncopations and meter changes are performed in the utmost natural manner. Each instrument fits very nicely into the texture of the entire group, without any player who disrupts the surface too much. There are great 70’s keyboard tones, soulful guitar playing, rock-solid bass playing, great ensemble drumming, and vocals that are very stylistic of old school progressive rock.

Lyrically the album is rather sound as well, although the full value of the lyrics of each track and the way they connect to one another takes a few listens to appreciate. There are many instances in which the band will quote directly from other songs on the album, which is the primary source of continuity with the record. The concept of the album is essentially centered on someone who believes they will use political power to achieve a greater good than the current situation. However, when put in the situation, the individual is powerless but to grow into the clearly defined mould of the past ruler; the person inevitably becomes the very role that he sought to defeat. The album ends with another ruler coming into power, possibly to fall victim to the same fate as the previous two.

So what is the album’s greatest downfall? Like stated earlier, some tracks are written awkwardly. “So Sincere” and “Cogs in Cogs” both have the same disjointed, fragmented compositional technique but it works for “Cogs in Cogs” where “So Sincere” can be pretty disappointing in places. Other tracks like “No God’s a Man” are plagued with the same issue – there is just a dry, uninteresting quality that creeps into the music and eventually can just ruin the tracks and make them irritating. Not all is bad though, as the relationship between “Proclamation” and “Valedictory” is incredibly well-done and clever all at the same time; the first time the material is heard it is in its pure form, but on the reprise it is distorted to represent the perversion of the character in the concept. If nothing else from the album, listening to these two songs side-by-side is well worth the time.

In the end, Gentle Giant have made a great progressive rock album for progressive rock fans. For those who don’t naturally have an ear for progressive rock music, it would be best to just avoid this and aim for something a little catchier. But for fans of E.L.P. or King Crimson or Yes, this could grow into one of your most treasured records.

Symphony X IconoclastIbrahim Maalouf Diasporas
Emerson, Lake and Palmer TarkusGotic Escenes
Spock's Beard Feel EuphoriaIQ Dark Matter
Brendan Schroer (5)
Magnificent....

ProgressiveTheory
June 21st 2011

Any helpful hints or criticism is welcomed!

scissorlocked
June 21st 2011

Jethro should see this review and I must dig it sometime soon

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

HenchmanOfSanta

1924 Comments

The bass on Cogs in Cogs is crazy fun.

June 21st 2011

''The Power and the Glory” gets a reputation as one of the most complex and impenetrable progressive rock albums, but not rightfully so.''

Not rightfully so indeed. Album is rather smooth and easy to get into within GG standards. Glad to see this being reviewed, excellent write up. Would be cool to see both Octopus and Free Hand being covered as well. I just covered In a Glass House with Nagrarok (ProgJect). Let's spread the prog all over Sputnik!

@Scissorlocked; That list could be helpful to get or not to get into GG;

Voivod
June 21st 2011

I have Octopus, however I may not be appropriate for reviewing it.

good review, pos.

Digging: Madred - Supersonic Brainfuck Overdrive

fsharptrit0ne
June 21st 2011

Nice review. Gentle Giant is awesome.

ProgressiveTheory
June 21st 2011

Thanks for reading guys. Not enough people check out prog anymore.

greg84
June 21st 2011

Good review! I think it's one of their weaker albums. Still pretty cool though.

Proclamation = 5/5
So Sincere = 3/5
Aspirations = 5/5
Playing the Game = 4/5
Cogs in Cogs = 5/5
No Gods a man = 2.5/5
The Face = 3/5
Valedictory = 5/5
Album is my 5th fav of theirs, which is still pretty good.

June 21st 2011

I forgot to specify this;

''...If nothing else from the album, listening to these two songs side-by-side is well worth the time.''

You were talking about Proclamation and Valedictory. It's funny because I put these songs together on my GG list.

December 1st 2011

I can hear why this one can be the toughest to get into. Strange enough cos it's rather smooth, accessible and not that adventurous for any GG standards. For me it's more like the toughest to rank, cos my feelings are constantly changing about this one, not sure why. In my very first listens, that album was a contender to be my fave of theirs. Well 5th is still a good position.

OhCarrots
September 6th 2013

I think I understand why so many people consider this album so complex and impenetrable. For me, it's about the musical layers and multitasking involved. There's so much going on at once in these songs that everything sounds pretty tough to get into for a newcomer. Sure, other albums by the band have that to a degree as well, but it seems really prominent here.

That said, it annoys me when people compare GG to other prog bands of the era. These guys were one-of-a-kind and still are by today's standards.

October 10th 2014

aspirations is perfection, shame the albums rly annoying in parts

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses