Winds Of Plague
Against the World

by Nikkolae USER (21 Reviews)
June 13th, 2011 | 51 replies | 8,050 views

Review Summary: "Insert Your Musical Genre Of Choice Here" done right!

Winds of Plague are a Hardcore/Metal band that tend to blend some elements of black metal in their music, the band had a huge jump start with their Sophomore album Decimate the Weak. after the downfall that The Great Stone War was you may ask yourself What Is Different Now?, I am soooo glad You dear reader just asked that.

Opener Raise the Dead blends the use of their (smoking hot) pianist who utilizes a very classic style harmonies that give the song a very pleasant feel until you're smashed in the face by the brutality of “One for the Butcher” the first proper track with very heavy instrumentation, The riffs are very creative and don't feel stale at any point, the breakdowns are something that this band can do very well, especially on this song since it packs enough meat to make it really pleasing.

The vocals are heavy and powerful, packed full of emotion and pain, you can hear Johnny Plague pouring his soul on his throat as he belts out with the utmost hate and aggression he can muster. Also he's taken a note on the whole lyrics deal and has decided to crank it up to 11, making this his most honest and passionate lyrics ever, (see Drop the Match for this).

The musicianship is top notch, the guitars are as crisp and crushing as usual, the usage of the pianist gives a whole new texture to the songs. The bass is prominent in every song not only the breakdowns, the drumming is tight and creative and often carries the songs along pretty well with tasty fills and a clean cut double bass technique.

Songs like “Refined In Fire”, “Drop The Match” & “California” will give you the best idea of this new found musician style WoP has bumped into, Heavy, Crisp, Scary & all round Brutal yet tasteful and refined.

This of course is a joke, this album is a joke, and aside the pianist and the drummer, I’d say the whole band is too.