Aosoth
III - Violence & Variation

by Sputnik's official false metal authority USER (28 Reviews)
June 12th, 2011 | 20 replies | 7,198 views

Review Summary: Impressive songwriting combined with a frightening atmosphere make III a worthy addition to Europe's ever expanding black metal scene.

Europe has always been the breeding ground for many great black metal acts since the genre emerged in the 80's. Back then, most of the prominent bands came from Norway and its surrounding countries. However, since the second wave of black metal in the 90's more and more black metal acts have popped up around the world, especially in America, where the genre has since then garnered a lot of popularity. But now, it seems that Europe is ready to reclaim its crown. A powerful surge of black metal bands has arisen in France, and they bring us a new and refreshing form of black metal. Next to the big names like Peste Noire, Blut Aus Nord and Deathspell Omega another act has stepped into the light, called Aosoth. While the band was merely following in the footsteps of the aforementioned bands on their previous efforts Aosoth and Ashes of Angels, their newest effort III sees the band maturing and developing its own sound. A sound that turned out to be quite heavy.

Aosoth's new sound has made quite a turn, coming from a pretty standard black metal sound, mostly influenced by the likes of Deathspell Omega. The new sound that is showcased on III is one of increased power and maturity. Not only did they improve their overall songwriting, but they also utilized a new form of production, which results in a heavy, muddy sound quality. This enhances the overall impact of the songs, creating a very heavy, creepy atmosphere. Of course, this enhanced atmosphere can not be credited to the production only. The keyboard intro to 'III-3' for example is sure to make a chill pass through your spine while listening, while the main riff of 'III-2' could be used perfectly in to enhance one of those terrifying moments in a good horror movie. Of course, one could not look past the vocals on III, and they might just be the cherry on this cake of horror. Dark and enthralling, MkM's vocals tear through the muddy atmosphere and will make you shiver to the bone.

The atmosphere does, however not detract from the fact that the riffs on this album are quite repetitive, although they are very well executed and fit into the overall 'dark scheme' that this album represents. This is a major downside to this artificially enhanced grim atmosphere, which is a shame because it does make the music a whole lot more frightening. The blurred out sound may enhance the overall feel of the album, but the fact is that when you listen to the album the tracks tend to blur together as well. This makes it harder to enjoy the tracks within their own right, as opposed to seeing them within the context of the album, which could be viewed as one long track. This actually makes a lot of sense if you look at the names of the tracks which are, as said, just numbers. This can be led to believe that the album actually forms a sort of story. While on the subject of storytelling, the lyrics on III can be considered to be pretty 'old-school' as they deal with themes like the occult, darkness and satanic rituals. Nothing too special, but they do fit in with the overall feel of the album.

However, it must be said that while the tracks may come off as a bit dumbed down, they still hold a distinct kind of value to them. Every song does carry its own mark and as a whole the album just fits. For example,'III-1' and 'III-6' may sound a lot alike when you listen to the album for the first time, but when you fully indulge yourself in the music you will notice how different they actually are, all while still fitting together as if they were part of the same song. As said, this makes the songs come off as little weak when listened to outside of the context of the album, but this is a showcase that Aosoth are in fact pretty impressive songwriters. Too bad that they don't quite manage to fully showcase this because of the production.

As it stands, III is a major step forward for Aosoth in creating their own distinct sound and it also marks a big step up in the area of songwriting. The heavy production was a bold choice and while it enhances the atmosphere, it also has an effect of dumbing down the music to a point where it overshadows the pretty impressive songwriting. Still, III is a great effort from a band that is still developing its own sound and just might impress us in the near future with a groundbreaking black metal effort. In the meantime, III will suffice as yet another enjoyable black metal effort.

Deathspell Omega DroughtMarina and The Diamonds Electra Heart
Coeur de Pirate BlondedEUS Keep You Close
Cruachan Blood on the Black RobeWormrot Dirge

ButcheredChildren
June 12th 2011

WALL OF SOUND!! WALL OF SOUND!!!

I really liked this album.

20395 Comments

I'm glad you enjoyed it Joshua. This is definitely one of my favourite bm records of 2011, despite its repetitiveness.
Anyways, constructive criticism is appreciated etc...

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

ButcheredChildren
June 12th 2011

great review, I have nothing to add so pos!

Maniac!

Great review, sir

20395 Comments

Thanks Brandon! It's nothing compared to your Unexpect review but I'm doing my best :]

TheSpirit

Good review but I found this to be really boring. You should check of Arfsynd

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

Thanks, will do :]

DarkNoctus
June 12th 2011

it's good :] I like how dense and opaque it is but it does get kind of tiring

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

balcaen
June 12th 2011

it's a good review but i can't really gauge if i'll like this even if i occasionally enjoy deathspell omega and peste noire... hm
you know, usually the 'recommended by reviewer' are albums in the similar vein by DIFFERENT BANDS

but good review tyra. good review tyra tyra tyra

Blindsided

Nice review guy.

pizzamachine
June 12th 2011

Good stuff Tyraelxy! Excellent review!

Hawks
June 13th 2011

Nice review man. Good album.

ev0ken
June 13th 2011

that cover reminds me of ut3, sort of.

@balcaen haha nice gif.
The dense production makes this sound so different that I was afraid to rec something else...
But now I did :]
@Noctus yes it does, that's why I lowered my rating
@Ev0ken oh my god you're totally right, good catch haha

Thanks Hawks, Pizza and Blindsided!

Also, fun fact:
the texture on the three I's on the cover of the album are a close-up of the singer's arms.

scissorlocked

nice review Tyr!

I'll probably listen to this when I'll be in a more Black Metal mood

keep it up bud

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Hehe, I try. Thanks man.

Irving
June 13th 2011

Tyrael, your style is totally unrecognizable from the one you had 15 - 20 reviews ago. You have improved so much; I am impressed. Holy cow.

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

20395 Comments

In other words: Tyrael, you have no idea how much your early reviews sucked.
Thanks for the kind words Irving ;]

Irving
June 13th 2011

In other words: Tyrael, you have no idea how much your early reviews sucked.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I guess I really should have worded that better. What I meant is, you were solid earlier (as I have told you many times), but these days you appear to be grasping a bit more flair and sound more at ease with your writing. It's less forced and more natural/confident. Do keep it up man.

Haha, thanks Irving, it really means a lot :]