Pg. 99
Document #8

by Jared W. Dillon USER (118 Reviews)
November 22nd, 2005 | 38 replies | 9,964 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Punk rock. Perhaps the most controversial genre ever made? Iíd say so. Whether it be defining bands such as the Sex Pistols, Minor Threat, or Blink-182, Punk Rock has always seemed to associate itself with a large array of bands. When I claim that Document # 8 is the greatest punk album ever made, people may question how I can consider something so chaotic, so complex, and most of all so emotional centered to be the greatest ďpunk" album. Well, in my eyes thatís what punk has been in my life, an outlet for pure emotion. Whether it be in the hands of bands like Minor Threat or Gorilla Biscuits who targeted social problems, or groups such as the Dead Kennedys and Propagandhi who are respected for their political comments, they all did it with an overlaying emotion that made it distinct from other genres. Pg. 99 embraces emotion like a lover. Itís music drips of it, at points Document # 8 is almost to filled with it, it seems like the hinges that hold this masterpiece together are about to break. But it never does, and thatís perhaps its greatest strength, itís twenty and something minutes of pure adrenaline straight into the vein.

ďIn Love With An Apparition" begins with a Kurt Cobain quote with some feedback in the background and then explodes into a frenzy of screams and guitars. Lyrics comparing a girl to a vampire and a few time changes later, a brief clapping is heard behind some lone guitar. The two Pg. 99 vocalists come in after a little bit with spoken and screaming parts. While all of this has been done by other bands, Pg. 99 does it in a way that makes it seem original, that makes it seem personal, and that makes it seem like itís theirs. Maybe itís the fact that itís a nine piece band, but it is just a volley of sound that can only be defined as Pg. 99. ďYour Face Is A Rape Scene" starts off as another explosion of noise, once again around the one minute mark the song slows up its tempo and descends into some guitar crescendos for a minute until the song finishes with another cataclysm of screams. ďLife In A Box" is a minute and thirty seven second ass kicking which breaks into one of the more interesting tracks ďWe Left As Skeletons". The guitar riffs that are involved in ďWe Left As Skeletons" are all over the place itís doesnít have the grindesque quality that the previous three tracks did, but it is still heavy as hell until it breaks into the middle where one of Pg. 99ís vocalist almost sings which is very unique. The next track is the weakest one on the album, ďPunk Rock In the Wrong Hands" doesnít bring anything new to the table, but it still a great accusation of what the punk rock scene has become. ďBallad of Circling Vultures" is the creepiest track on here; it has this overwhelming sense of doom that really helps build up the next song. Also itís the most instrumentally interesting track on here, with its looming bass line and the rough feedback. Closer ďThe Hollowed Out Chest of A Dead Horse" is a buffet of various styles and even ends what seems to me to be a very ďpop-punkish" way. My favorite part is the chant section that takes place around the two minute mark; it really builds off of the looming section that started off ďBallad of Circling Vultures".

All in all, the tracks of Document # 8 canít be described. The album in a sense canít be reviewed. It has to be felt. This album isnít about having time signature changes every eight seconds, or showing off their guitarists shredding abilities. Itís about guts, and heart. And if more punk musicians had the attitude of Pg. 99 the genre would be able to be described in two words in my opinion, ďthe best".

Pygmy Lush Old FriendsPharoahe Monch W.A.R.
My Disco Little JoyBlack Milk Album Of The Year
Sun Kil Moon Admiral Fell PromisesFlying Lotus Cosmogramma
4.2

cbmartinez
November 22nd 2005

Awesome review. I need more pageninetynine, I've only really heard the stuff off the majority rule split.

November 22nd 2005

Been hoping for a review on this.

Zebra
November 22nd 2005

Good review but this is no 5/5.

More like 3.5/5 for me, some of these tracks just don't appeal to me, but there are also some amazing songs so it all works itself out.

pixiesfanyo
November 22nd 2005

It's under emo for a reason?

November 22nd 2005

I've been meaning to check this out for a while.

I could send.

November 22nd 2005

Aww shucks /e-blush, thanks Jimmy. But I think its my turn to share. I haven't given you anything in a while :/

Doesn't matter. I like to be a giver.This Message Edited On 11.22.05

Dancin' Man
November 22nd 2005

Best Pg. 99 album methinks.

br3ad_man

Nice

Sep
November 25th 2005

Does the reissue also have the bonus tracks: "The List" and "The Lonesome Waltz Of Leonard cohen" on it?

Sep
December 11th 2005

Ah yes it does. I just got this in the mail and am listening to it now. Incredible.

santi3hg
December 25th 2005

Oozes with passion, their best document in my opinion

December 25th 2005

I've only bothered to listen to the first track. Its cool.

weezer1208
March 6th 2006

so the reissue does have the bonus tracks?

pixiesfanyo
March 6th 2006

Yes. It has the tracks from the City of Caterpillar split they did.

Zesty Mordant
March 6th 2006

I'm just starting to get into this stuff now, along with City of Caterpillar, Gospel, A Day in Black and White, and Funeral Diner.
It took awhile but it was worth it.

weezer1208
March 12th 2006

i never really had to get into it. i liked it from the start. but yeah, those are all great bands. although i don't like the new a day in black and white cd.

vocman
March 13th 2006

I just got this cd, and I got blown away. It's really very intense. 5/5!

iamrockzorz
June 2nd 2006

Such a great example of good emo, love this cd more than mostly anything in my collection at the moment. Great review, you convinced me to get it :-)