Black Stone Cherry
Folklore and Superstition

by Austin USER (41 Reviews)
May 31st, 2011 | 21 replies | 4,420 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Although the band loses some of the energy of their debut, Folklore and Superstition is nonetheless a solid sophomore effort from Black Stone Cherry.

Black Stone Cherry’s self-titled debut was an energetic southern hard rock album that displayed lots of potential. It displayed strong musicianship from each member, it was fun and catchy, and it brought a fresh sound, mixing the distortion of modern rock with Lynyrd Skynyrd sensibilities. Here on Folklore and Superstition, the band hasn’t radically changed their sound, just refined it a bit. While it is overall a success, the band has lost a bit of the energy from the debut.

It’s when the band just decides to rock that they get the best results, and it’s the high-quality rockers that really keep the album alive, showing that the band is as musically tight as ever. The drumming is still top-notch, particularly noteworthy in the swift fills on The Bitter End (this album’s Lonely Train, for those who like the band’s heavier side). The guitarwork is still a delight to listen to, as the heavy, southern-drenched riffs still have plenty of groove and catchiness and the guitar solos are fun, technical, and diverse. This turns out to be one of the saving graces of the album, as even the weaker tracks are improved by an interesting solo section. Devil’s Queen is the guitarists’ best work to date, featuring a Freebird-esque dueling solo that lasts well over a minute. The harder tracks are clearly where the band is most comfortable, and they’ve managed to make them more diverse here than on the self-titled, with highlights including the darker Long Sleeves and the grunge influenced The Key.

What keeps the album from reaching its full potential is the band’s attempt to develop their softer side. Folklore and Superstition boasts three power ballads (Things My Father Said, Peace Is Free, and You,) and they are unfortunately the low points of the album, which is a disappointment given how strong the lighter moments were on the debut. These ballads aren’t bad or unlistenable by any means, but they feel very standard, only made weaker by the excellence of the rockers surrounding them. Going softer really isn’t what the band should be doing, since it’s when they do that here that they become the least interesting, although it must be noted that they do quite well with the lighter mid-tempo cut Please Come In, which succeeds thanks to Chris’ strong vocal performance. His rough yet soulful vocals are consistently a highlight of the album, as he proves again to be one of the best and most unique singers in modern rock.

While Folklore and Superstition has a few weak points (mainly the ballads), it is still a solid sophomore effort from Black Stone Cherry. While it takes a few steps forward as far as diversity, it lacks the overall consistency of the band’s self-titled. The best tracks are truly fantastic, but the biggest problem with the album is the disparity in quality between the stronger tracks and the weaker tracks. The softer side of the band isn’t nearly as interesting as their heavier, riff-driven side. That said, Folklore and Superstition is still a fun southern rock album that is well worth your time.

Top Tracks:

Alter Bridge FortressGrammatrain Lonely House
Riverside Shrine Of New Generation SlavesMark Tremonti All I Was
Shinedown AmaryllisBuckethead It's Alive
Zippermouth (4.5)
Black Stone Cherry is back full-force with more soulful vocals and firey guitars in their new releas...

May 31st 2011

I've been sitting on this review for too long, but hopefully it reads well. I will be reviewing their new album pretty soon too.

pizzamachine
May 31st 2011

As glorious as your other review, pos. On a random note, did you notice your AB III review has 17,815ish views? Wow.

May 31st 2011

Yeah, I never thought I'd get a review with that many views, even with most of them just being conversation in the thread. The fact that it was made the default review helps too.

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Finally another tiesthatbind review, been waiting forever for this. Pos.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

DoubtGin
May 31st 2011

Their new album leaked, as well.

May 31st 2011

Yeah, I've got it and it's really disappointing. I'll have a review up for it within the week probably.

BigHans
May 31st 2011

Ironically enough, i randomly picked this out to listen to this morning, since I hadnt heard it since I first downloaded it like 9 months ago.

May 31st 2011

Yeah, I've got it and it's really disappointing.
Damn, I haven't heard it yet, but say it isn't so.

On the topic of this album, I basically agree with everything you say. They should just concentrate on rocking out and reduce the amount of softer tracks.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

May 31st 2011

It takes all their potential and just wastes it. This is going to be their last good album.

May 31st 2011

This is going to be their last good album.
I seriously hope this will not be the case.

May 31st 2011

I tend to look toward the optimistic, but apart from 2-3 songs, I really didn't dig it.

May 31st 2011

Oh, well that's unexpected. I'll still probably end up giving it a shot but you don't make it sound very appealing.

May 31st 2011

still never gave these guys the chance they deserve

great review ties.

DaveyBoy

20798 Comments

Oh, I thought this review was for their newie... Oh well.

Clear & to the point review ttb. The heavy southern influence of these guys always put me off, but I'll get around to a more detailed listen one day.

June 1st 2011

Thanks. Somebody else reviewed that one right before I submitted this. I'm still gonna post one for that though.

June 1st 2011

review new stuff all the time and come be contrib with me

June 1st 2011

Maybe one day I'll get a review that's actually featured on the front page. Doubtful, though.

June 1st 2011

you easily could just review something new and semi-important

June 1st 2011

Yeah I know it could happen. Maybe I should submit a review for new Opeth two months in advance. We all know what that's going to sound like anyway, amirite?

June 1st 2011

haha...you never know, maybe it will be the next damnation