Hate Eternal
Phoenix Amongst The Ashes

by Subrick USER (36 Reviews)
May 14th, 2011 | 22 replies | 10,604 views

Review Summary: Hate Eternal once again create a great modern death metal album, although not without some minor problems.

In 2005, Hate Eternal released I, Monarch. That album I see as not only being the magnum opus of this band, but also as a benchmark of modern death metal. The speed, the intensity, and the creativity on that record has not been matched as of yet. Six years and two albums later, Hate Eternal come out with Phoenix Amongst the Ashes. And while not without its faults, Phoenix is a great modern death metal album for all to enjoy.

From the moment the first real track, "The Eternal Ruler", begins, the listener will immediately tell that Hate Eternal still pulls no punches and is still as fast and brutal as ever. Erik Rutan remains seated on his proverbial throne as one of the great extreme metal vocalists and guitarists. His riffs are relentless, with tremolo picking on full display here. He also once again shows his proficiency with soloing as well. If there's any one part of his guitar playing I don't like though, it's the overly long and needlessly technical intro to The Art of Redemption. Approximately one minute is spent on incredibly annoying guitar doodling, with nothing but Jade Simonetto's never ending blast beats carrying him on. Speaking of Jade, while I absolutely adore the man's speed and endurance, he could use some work in the creativity department. He's not a boring drummer, just not incredibly inventive, unlike his predecessor, the great Derek Roddy, who is the single greatest drummer I have ever seen. I'd comment more on bassist JJ Hrubovcak, but this album falls to the ever present standard idea in modern metal that the bass is a total afterthought.

If there's one thing this album is perfect in though, it's the intensity. Good Odin, this ranks right up there with the classics like Scream Bloody Gore and Winds of Creation in just how unmerciful on the ears it is. Never does a moment go by where there is not something going on. The fact that the album production is so thick and organic sounding helps it greatly; Erik Rutan is an amazing producer, and he shines through here. I had on Thorns of Acacia, and the sound was so great that my CD stack inched its way to the edge of my desk and fell off. That's how ***ing great this album sounds.

I don't think Hate Eternal will ever make another I, Monarch. The lineup on that album was perfect, and it was at the right time for all three of those men, said men being Rutan, Roddy, and Randy Piro. But on Phoenix Amongst the Ashes, Rutan, Hrubovcak, and Simonetto do a damn good job at creating a fun, intense, merciless death metal album. Not a classic, but very good in its own right.

Iced Earth Plagues of BabylonBlack Sabbath Headless Cross
Deafheaven SunbatherWatain The Wild Hunt
The Devil Wears Prada ZombieMake Them Suffer Neverbloom

May 14th 2011

This was really bland. And the production sucked.

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

liledman
May 14th 2011

ummmm whats with the youtube link at the bottom

lucazade22
May 15th 2011

I agree with I, Monarch being awesome. I haven't heard this release but this is pretty much how I felt about 'Fury & Flames'

Ponton

This was good

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

Wizard

Not even close.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Arked
May 18th 2011

Sounds pretty 3.5 for me so far.

srm90

who's better..
these guys or job for a cowboy

couch
June 3rd 2011

holy shit this actually fucking owns.

Raz0rGrind23
June 6th 2011

Not a bad review but it could use a another proof read. I have never found this guys to be all that great. I agree with you on the drummer. The man is a beast. It was mentioned he hits a whirling 290 bbpm on this album. Still, like you mentioned.......

devouredbymetal
July 13th 2011

who's better..
these guys or job for a cowboy

if its a joke its a lame one...and if you are being serious..how in the world can you compare these
two ??

FrankieEmpire
July 17th 2011

Ladies and gentlemen, Erik fucking Rutan is back. And as you would expect from Hate Eternal, the album is sheer brutality.

What I've noticed first is that perhaps it's a bit more melodic in some parts, but only where it needs to be! The rest of it is just pure and heavy pounding with amazing riffage and excellent drums. Rutan's vocals are even more brutal then on the previous release, if that's even possible. But, what I think it lacks are those bass guitar sounds once in a while. Nevertheless, it really is insanely and brutally good.

eyecanseeyou
September 22nd 2011

pure fucking gnarliness!

Shuyin
November 22nd 2011

i am duality, a being so consumed with the darkness inside of me,

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

Idnuf
November 22nd 2011

the intro to art of redemption is so fucking awful

November 23rd 2011

June 16th 2012

Album's ok.

DreamingWithTheDead
August 30th 2013

I'm not sure what Erik was thinking when he wrote some of these songs, I have to avoid a few of these. There are a handful of decent songs though.