Blackguard
Firefight

by Darion Paone USER (77 Reviews)
May 12th, 2011 | 20 replies | 5,948 views

Review Summary: Blackguard releases their best work yet while still sounding as epic as ever. Also, they have a hot drummer.

For a long time, I viewed Canada as a musical wasteland. This viewpoint was given to me by the various pop artists that come from there (none of which will be mentioned in this review). Well, Blackguard has thoroughly shattered that impression with the release of "Firefight".

This melodic 'epic metal' Canadian ensemble focuses on two things with this record: composition and execution. Their music takes immense skill to put on paper and flawless execution to do it justice. Another large piece of Blackguard's puzzle is atmosphere. I know I've mentioned a lot about the atmospheric conditions of other albums, but holy crap; here's a record that uses a well-crafted atmosphere extensively without it being tiring on the ears. I'm thoroughly convinced that if any band in the same genre as Blackguard tried to include as much atmosphere, it'd have much less positive effects on the music. It's one thing for tracks to sound similar enough to be placed on the same album; Blackguard's latest record debuts with an introductory instrumental track that leads right into the title track. It's an accompanying instrumental in the best form; it's not required to thoroughly enjoy the main song, but listening to it beforehand is another experience. This makes it enjoyable to take in all of the album, not all of the album minus the instrumentals.

Speaking of instrumentals, the forth track on the album, "Wastelands", is an instrumental for a good minute or so. It's a really nice instrumental, though, and while it's uncharacteristically slow, it's easily one of the best tracks on the album. In my opinion, it's second only to the title track, which features excellent riffing and pounding drums, as per Blackguard's usual. The vocals are enjoyable in general, but I particularly enjoyed them in "Fear of All Flesh", which comes right after instrumental "Iblis". This instrumental is more somber and slow, but serves to provide additional atmosphere rather than distancing itself from the rest of the album.

My only real gripe with the album is that, in many cases, you wouldn't know which song you were listening to. Oh, that slow one? That's "Wastelands". The fast one? With, uh, shrieking guitars? That's "Firefight". Or maybe it's "Cruel Hands"... I dunno. While all tracks are quite enjoyable, you can easily get lost in the album. Throw on your earbuds and go to sleep after the title track. If you wake up after "Wastelands", you'll wonder why the title track lasted thirty minutes.

All in all though, I can't complain. My live experience with Blackguard was epic, and this album was just as much, if not more. In the future, I'd hope to expect more individualism in their tracks, but other than that, no complaints. Whether you're a fan of Behemoth's drumming, GWAR's epic riffing, or just plain old epic metal in general, Blackguard is for you.

Finally, I'd like to quote the highest rated comment on the "Firefight" music video; I'd like to drum the drummer.

Recommended Tracks:

Origin OmnipresentSepticflesh Titan
Hour of Penance RegicideWretched Cannibal
Whitechapel Our Endless WarCarnifex Die Without Hope

May 12th 2011

'Also, they have a hot drummer.'

awesome add-on mate.

Yeah i can hear the faster tracks blending a bit. Nice review Pos

Thanks.

I corrected a few grammarstakes (new word yay). Stupid iTouch screen.

AfterTheBreakdown
May 12th 2011

Great review. I will check this out. I've been wanting to check out this band so i think i will finally do so. Pos'd

May 12th 2011

Yeah, dude, you really should. I've seen the stuff you like and you would definitely enjoy Blackguard.

May 12th 2011

and out of Canada, wow...

Blindsided
May 12th 2011

These guys are cool, interviewed them once.
I'll check this out. Good review.

BodomThrashMachine
May 13th 2011

Moar Steve reviews to quench my thirst. Now do Versus the World.

Album looked quite good at first glance, I'll give this one or two more tries and see how it goes.

EDIT: Well I'm afraid I like this style better when Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Ensiferum or the like do it. It does sound a lot alike and that makes it very hard to choose which songs to download. Oh well...

Xenorazr
May 13th 2011

Going to see these guys in a few days, hopefully they put on a good show.

ZombicidalMan
May 13th 2011

I'll check this out, haven't heard it yet. And Canada has lots of good metal, like Gorguts, Woods Of Ypres, Towards Darkness, Akitsa, Kataklysm, Cryptopsy, Ex Deo... >.>

May 13th 2011

It's not that I doubt Canadian metal; I've just not been exposed to it enough.

Thanks for the comments, and Xenorazr, I think you'll be thoroughly blown away. Be sure to mosh.

mosh [2].

DoctorVelvet
May 18th 2011

Great review.

This album is a logical step up from their sophomore release. Most of the songs on here are pretty strong.

PostModernJellyfish
May 18th 2011

Pretty solid release. Hope to see more from these guys.

Crossback
May 21st 2011

Thanks for the review. Checked 'em out; loving what I hear.

DoctorVelvet
June 8th 2011

Wastelands is easily the best track on the disc.

Donchivo
June 17th 2011

After listening to the title track I ask myself how it is possible not to mention Children of Bodom in this review. At least that track is a one-to-one rip-off only lacking COB's virtuosity...

Digging: Exuma - Reincarnation

dimaman15
January 9th 2012

Being Canadian I can say that we have probably offered one of the worst musicians ever in Justin Bieber, but I wouldn't say we are a music wasteland. Just bands i can name off the top of my head are Into Eternity, Archons, Incarnia, Kalter, Kataklysm, Annihilator, Devin Townsend, Quo Vadis, Cryptopsy, Unleash the Archers, Augury, Voivod and Gorguts. That's just a fraction of quality bands from Canada.

LTDA
March 5th 2012

I actually just heard one of Blackguard's songs on that stupid Challenge: Battle of the Exes show on MTV. Sounds epic as hell.

JokineAugustus
April 20th 2012

This band kicks ass live. A blinding light is another excellent song on here.

Digging: Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories