Matta
Prototype

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (57 Reviews)
May 11th, 2011 | 16 replies

Review Summary: While remaining on the heavier side of things, Matta throws in enough outside influences to craft a dubstep album that goes much deeper than their "wompy" contemporaries

For those that don’t mind very general descriptions (so this is likely to piss off 90% of the site), dubstep can really be separated into two categories: the “womps” and the more chill and atmospheric. Many bands/artists come to mind when thinking of the first (Borgore, Tomba, anything Rottun) and many more for the second (Burial, Clubroot, James Blake) but what about mixing both? Until Matta, the only thing that came to mind for me was Distance (on his two full lengths). While clearly remaining more on the atmospheric side of the genre, Distance often found himself incorporating heavier elements to his music in order to boost the dark vibe he was so good at creating. But I digress.

Unlike Distance, Matta find themselves clearly more on the “womp” side of things but they have tweaked it ever so slightly with some Distance-esque elements as to create one of the most engaging and interesting full lengths to come out from that side.

Mass serves as the perfect introduction to the record. Starting off with some eery synth notes backed by an ominous organ, one almost expects this to turn into the record Distance should be releasing right now. This impression is only furthered by the sample of a woman bleakly chanting. However a few seconds later, the song truly begins with a deep, metallic sounding bassline that undulates sinisterly around the continued sample of the chanting and some dark synth notes.

The album plays around with this formula over the course of its length, sometimes seeing itself wandering more into the more wobble heavy parts of the genre (Release The Freq) and at others easing itself clearly into its dark, atmospheric counterpart (Suicide Stutter). Matta is clearly comfortable playing both of these styles and it isn’t surprising that they manage to combine both so effortlessly on the rest of the album’s tracks. They keep the album sounding fresh throughout by using various types of samples (female vocals, acoustic guitars, organs) and also by changing up their style ever so slightly from track to track through little modifications of how much they take from each style of dubstep.

All in all, Matta have created a somewhat heavy dubstep album that still manages to have some clear lasting value due to the obvious effort that was put into crafting the tracks. While not sounding quite as filthy as Borgore or as ominous as Distance, Matta finds a middle ground that combines the power of heavier dubstep along with the aesthetics of the dark, atmospheric kind and are truly worth noting for it.

All Them Witches Lightning At The DoorAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Forteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe LégendesFuck the Facts Amer
Maneige Les PorchesDark Castle Spirited Migration

May 11th 2011

I know i generalized a lot

please don't kill me dev )=

Digging: Svartidau?i - Flesh Cathedral

demigod!

DUBSTEP

Digging: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Tyrael

20972 Comments

a dubstep album that goes much deeper than his "wompy" contemporaries

Pos.

May 11th 2011

Was hoping Dev would be around to comment but looks like I just missed him. Oh well, if anyone has anything constructive to say go for it. It's been months since my last review

Blindsided

I bet this is good.

Acanthus
May 11th 2011

This is an amazing record, Deviant linked me to it awhile back - highly recommended.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

May 11th 2011

For some reason i can't bring myself to 4.5 this even though i've thought about it

May 12th 2011

Review's fine, but your intro paragraph is almost identical to the opening paragraph to that clubroot review

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

May 12th 2011

I see what you mean but i wanted my intro like that so that it kind of leads into the rest of the review with the mixing of the two styles i explained

May 13th 2011

It wasn't a criticism, I just noticed it and pointed it out because of boredom

Acanthus
May 13th 2011

This is one of the only albums in the genre I thoroughly enjoy from start to finish, it really took me by surprise.

March 12th 2012

outlaw is fucking disgusting when it drops

Woah there youtuber

March 12th 2012

meaning production wise. not like OMGFILTHYEAHMAN. when it dropped i thought my bass speakers blew out

March 12th 2012

There's no drop on that track

March 12th 2012

ok you win plz don't cock slap me

edit: yeah no that's totally not a drop; there's no build it just kinda kicks in. stupid me says stupid things. :D