Deicide
To Hell With God

by TBliss USER (33 Reviews)
May 9th, 2011 | 104 replies | 13,450 views

Review Summary: ‘To Hell With God’ ultimately succeeds because it is able to inject a sense of song writing diversity with enough subtlety so as to preserve the signature Deicide violence.

After a stunning return to form with 2006‘s ‘The Stench Of Redemption‘, it looked as though the injection of fresh blood into the band had brought to Deicide a new sense of dynamics and song smithery which made them an exciting force in the death metal scene once more. Although the largely panned follow up ‘Til Death Do Us Part’ threatened another dip in quality with a collection of rather insipid material, ‘To Hell With God’ has done much to remedy this and cement Deicides relevance in an ever flourishing death metal scene.

The primary attribute that makes this release such an stimulating listen is the variety displayed within the songs. Although, as the opening title track makes apparent, this is still very such a Deicide record, as a barrage of tremolo picked riffs and intense blast beats greets us. Yet, the clear focus on dynamics throughout the album gives the release on a whole a fresh, invigorated atmosphere, as the gargantuan grooves replete in songs such as ‘Angels Of Hell’ and ‘Into The Darkness You Go’ prove that the band have more weapons in their arsenal that mere velocity and a constant assault.

Coupled with this are the greatly rejuvenated vocals of Glen Benton. Previously relying for the most part on a consistently low, guttural roar, Benton’s voice, although remaining in a similar vein, have lost some of the redundant low register, and in such cuts as the furious ‘Save Your’ gain a clearer, raspier quality as he spits his lyrics with a new found sincerity and conviction, only making for a more stirring experience to listen to.

As before, the musicianship is absolutely stellar. The drum work of Steve Asheim continues to show why he is considered one of the ultimate death metal talents as he attacks his kit with dexterity, inventiveness and aggression, and the guitar leads of Ralph Santolla and Jack Owen retain a melodious slant whilst also being fiercely technical and rapid.

‘To Hell With God’ ultimately succeeds because it is able to inject a sense of song writing diversity with enough subtlety so as to preserve the signature Deicide violence. With a line-up more than capable of bringing fresh ideas to the table, there seems to be no reason why the death metal veterans cannot continue establishing themselves as a enduring creative force.

Burning The Masses Offspring of TimeMattias IA Eklundh The Road Less Travelled
Megadeth Rust in Peace LiveHideous Miscreation Delusions Of Grandeur EP
Dyscarnate Enduring the MassacreThe Rotted Anarchogram
3.3
ScurvyDave (4.5)

May 9th 2011

First review in ages, feedback welcome

May 9th 2011

Sweet gonna check this out even tho I was never really into Deicide

Yeah man give it a shot

Departures
May 9th 2011

I love Deicide but I found this to be just above average. After The Stench of Redemption idt anything they release from now on will ever be as incredible!

May 9th 2011

Yo the review was good good job, this review is gonna make me check it out haha

May 9th 2011

Cheers man. And I agree TSOR is gonna be ridiculously hard to beat, but mabye they have got it in them...

jayfatha
May 9th 2011

I thought this was on par with TSOR

lol fuck the police

Willie
May 10th 2011

The only Deicide album that I've ever liked. Nice review.

its k

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

May 10th 2011

Cheers for the pos's guys

Wizard

19328 Comments

The only great thing about Deicide these days is their guitarists (Ralph Santolla and Jack Owen). I think you should point this out in the review that they really are the only reason Deicide somewhat succeeds into today's dm world.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

NocteDominum
May 10th 2011

Not to mention being part of the pioneering movement of dm.

May 10th 2011

I somewhat agree with you, TSOR was such a good album because of the amazing guitar work, but I feel on this one they have taken a step forward in other areas aswell. The guitar work is still the album highlight though, so I see what you are saying.

Wizard

19328 Comments

The drumming is good, not great, and Benton is just Benton on this album. Full credit should go to the riffage.

VeilOfOsiris